What's new

"Now Showing"

Did you watch the 1993 version or the older one? The older one is meant to be better, so I hope to get to see that one someday, but this one was decent, although like you said, it was a bit dry.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Being the usual me, I watched Pokemon Movie 7: Destiny Deoxys yesterday (ahh.. the wonders of YouTube).
If you like those sort of films (I assume you don't, but last time I checked, you were not me), this one was pretty good. I think it's nice to have one Pokémon film that doesn't deal with the end of the world as we know it, a movie with no villains (save for the Munchlax that steals everyone's food), and without the typical "no damage done" thing at the end (I counted thousands of malfunctioning robots, massive damage to a skyscraper, an office building in ruins, thousands of broken windows and the total destruction of a sidewalk and an arctic research base. Pretty much for a Pokémon movie)
This was also the film that best explained the administration of the Pokémon world, and the introduction movie is sweet. I think the end was a little overkill, but otherwise, this is the best of the Pokémon movies (says a lot about the general quality of them, huh?).

Overall, I'd give it a 5. Out of what is up to you.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Saw Iron Man last night myself actually. Me & Lucy went, and while I was looking forward, I hadn't got dragged into the hype as much as some. It was very good though, light-hearted at times, decent action, well acted by Robert Downey Jr (preferred his role in Zodiac though). Seeing as there's a bit of a comic book adaptation epidemic at the moment, i'm sure it'll be the first of many comic-related films I see this summer, but its a decent enough start. 8/10.

Conveniently while I was there, I saw the full trailer for The Dark Knight for the first time. I truly believe Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is going to go down in history as one of those remarkable performances. A lot of that will be down to his untimely death, but that aside, he looks to have done extremely well in that role. It doesn't really look like Heath Ledger, it certainly doesn't sound like him, it just looks like a creepy, psychotic clown-bloke. That is the film i'm looking forward to this year.

Ollie

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Did you watch the 1993 version or the older one? The older one is meant to be better, so I hope to get to see that one someday, but this one was decent, although like you said, it was a bit dry.

It was the original black and white one. :p

Snoo

The Legend
Rob said:
Conveniently while I was there, I saw the full trailer for The Dark Knight for the first time. I truly believe Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is going to go down in history as one of those remarkable performances. A lot of that will be down to his untimely death, but that aside, he looks to have done extremely well in that role. It doesn't really look like Heath Ledger, it certainly doesn't sound like him, it just looks like a creepy, psychotic clown-bloke. That is the film i'm looking forward to this year.

I agree. I actually just went to see Iron Man again (free of course) and saw that trailer with time to really absorb it.. man that film is going to be amazing. I love the first film, the 2nd should be even better.. and thats something you don't see often.

Dave

CF Legend
I recently watch A Beautiful Mind and it was fantastic, I nearly cried at the end.
It was a beautiful shot film with such great visual shots that fitted each era. With great physical and mental performance by Russell Crowe (should've won that Oscar!) with such charisma. The plot may not be historically accurate but its a fantastic insight into a brilliant mind, whom we owe rapid economics to.
I strongly recomenned this film to anyone who hasn't seen it, its simply fantastic.

9/10!

Lain

Giga Poster
I saw Iron Man a few hours ago.

It was pretty awesome. The bonus scene at the end was awesome too.

Awesome.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Dave said:
With great physical and mental performance by Russell Crowe (should've won that Oscar!)
Surely Best Director and Best Picture will do :).

But I agree, I've heard about that film a few times, and it does look pretty awesome.

Well Iron Man certainly seems quite popular right now.. #159 in the IMDB top 250 right now! (Not that I alway agree with that top 250). But it probably won't last though as more votes accumulate, just like Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371746/

It was the original black and white one.

That's suppose to be the better of the two. Does Piggy get killed in that one, though?

I was relaxing in bed this morning and saw that My Girl was on, so I decided to watch it. I ended up watching the last hour, so I didn't catch the entire thing, but it was such a sad film! I'm pretty glad I watched it, even though it was definitely a tear-jerker.

7.5/10

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I saw Futurama: Bender's Big Score earlier, and I was anticipating it to be awesome, being how the Futurama t.v series was brilliant.

I was a little disappointed, probably due to the more-complicated-than-expected storyline.

Nevertheless, it wasn't bad at all, with some decent and funny scenes, but hopefully the next three movies will be more promising.

8/10.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Im beginning to notice that the younger members have no good taste in movies..

Either that or they've not seen enough to notice a contrived predictable boring plot when they've seen one.

Yes i'm talking about IRON MAN.

if you've seen more than 5 movies in your life, you already know the plot and how it ends.

Contrived, boring, rubbish

2/10

And as Johnny mentions "benders big score" - that one gets a 3/10 on the smelly meter as it's sooo boring! I fell asleep 3 times trying to watch it and ended up watching it in a number of sittings.

Not even a single non-predictable joke in the whole thing

3/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
I watched Rush Hour 3 yesterday.

I was really dissapointed. The acting was great, the stunts were good, and some of the lines were awesome. The problem was that the story felt a bit weak and silly.

I would give it 7/10. If it had had a good plot then it would have been a 8 or 9.

No.. No.. No.. And again.. No

Snoo

The Legend
Smelly said:
Im beginning to notice that the younger members have no good taste in movies..

Either that or they've not seen enough to notice a contrived predictable boring plot when they've seen one.

Or maybe, just maybe, you're an boring, easy to predict old man with nothing better to do than comment on how everyone else's opinions are seemingly vastly inferior to your own.

That MIGHT just be the case.. I dunno though..

Bitter

Mega Poster
Not every film can be brand new, innovative and perfect unfortunately, and there's as much a place for predictable action-fest blockbusters, as there are for intelligent, brilliant films. Sometimes i don't want to watch something I have to think about, and the Rush Hour films are great for just watching and turning off. I thought Benders Big Score had as many laughs as any episode of Futurama, the problem being that it was 3 times as long, and so it did seem to drag in places, but 3/10's a bit low.

I haven't seen many films lately, the last one i watch being A Scanner Darkly, which was interesting to say the least, and I liked it, but it's hardly meant for commercial appeal.

mrclam

Giga Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Or maybe, just maybe, you're an boring, easy to predict old man with nothing better to do than comment on how everyone else's opinions are seemingly vastly inferior to your own.

That MIGHT just be the case.. I dunno though..

Nah.. yer just too young to know a good movie yet.

peep

CF Legend
Everyone has a different opinion Smelly, you like older movies, most peeps on here only love new films, I love both and I feel that I can look at a movie from different peep's point of view. I do agree with your comment on Rush Hour 3 though, can somebody please put a stop to Jackie Chan making some of the worst films ever. Iron man was a good film, especially for a superhero film (I tend to find the majority of them really dull), obviously this film is not really for you, fair enough, but for the majority of the public its just what they want to see, something where they don't have to think much and can just enjoy the superb performance from Robert Downy Jr and the very pretty CGI explosions.

Yesterday after seeing Arsenal win I went into Leicester Square to see Nim's Island....Oh dear. What was I thinking? I heard it wasn't great but for some reason I felt compelled to see it, wish I hadn't now. The girl was ok but the story just didn't entertain me, the whole invaders bit was cripe and felt like it was trying to be Home Alone on an island and then it failed at life. Jodie Foster, why? She is a good actress but someone please ban her from family or comedy films forever, she just can't do it, doesn't surprise me that she wasn't the producers first choice (as she admitted in an interview the other day). She just misses every opportunity to make a scene just a little amusing. On the other hand Gerard Butler was quite good. He played two roles and succeeded quite well in both parts. He is also probably the only reason why this film will be given two rating stars from me.

Rating...2/5

In the evening I went round to help my friend babysit her niece. They had already started to watch The last mimzy but I can still review what I did watch. I think I can safely say that this film is great for kids, maybe a little upsetting towards the end but still good. It also feels more adult compared to most family films (maybe why it failed). The story is ok, not amazing but it is original and at times, entertaining. Hmm, I dunno what else to really say about this film.

Rating...3/5

mrclam

Giga Poster
peep said:
Everyone has a different opinion Smelly, you like older movies,

No i dont, i just dont like trash.. And iron man and rush hour 3 and harold and kumar 2 were all trash!

For the record, i LIKED the first harold and kumar movie.. and enjoyed rush hour 1 and 2.

But rush hour 3 and harold and kumar 2 are both up there with "great" movies like "epic movie" and "meet the spartons".

Iron man was just formulaic rubbish with no plot and a predictable ending. Sure nice cgi.. But then 99.999% of movies have nice CGI now! Hell even saturdays doctor who had an impressive CGI worldwide explosion in the atmosphere!

Just having "nice cgi" doesnt cut it with me any more.. A film needs.. i dont know.. a PLOT would be nice!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Iron Man was an amazing film... Regardless of what Smelly says...

Why? It DOES have a plot, a basic one yes, but give me ANY comic-book with a difficult plot? None of these super-hero comics or films have an overally complicated plot, and ALWAYS boil down to something happening to the hero to convince them to take up their new mantle and save the day/person they love/etc...

Iron Man had Downey Jr. spot on the money here for the role, he gave enough humour and sarcasm to his role to fulfill the millionaire having fun but had enough to give us reason to take a liking to him (with the reactions to Yannick's death and family)...

The building the suit scenes contained a lot of humour, which is good, because such scenes (see Hulk) can often be drawn out and generally rubbish, the humour helped the development of the sequence along, as EVERYONE in the cinema was laughing at the robot and crashing into the wall/roof/car...

Jeff Bridges was excellent in his role as Opidiah, typical businessman evil going on...

End fight was pretty decent, since CGI can't go forward quickly enough atm, it was an enjoyable fight and the two suits looked very realistic (if they can be termed such)...

I give it 8/10, if only for the worry of poor sequels that can come from such a franchisable film (Spiderman, Shrek)

What with Indy and Batman soon coming out, I'm gonna have to keep on working to gain funds...

mrclam

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
What with Indy and Batman soon coming out, I'm gonna have to keep on working to gain funds...

Im with you on those two.

Batman begins was ace

And indy's gonna be worth watching to see him running away from a bolder pushing a zimmer frame