What's new

"Now Showing"

Oh yeah, that other movie which has a child standing infront of a house with a menacing stare and looks generally meh.

nadroJ said:
But, Daniel Radcliffe URRGGHHHH <///3 I tried to watch The Jonathon Ross Show the other day with him on it and I literally can't watch his stupid face on screen. He is AWFUL. Excruciatingly awkward to watch. Despite this, I still want to see Woman in Black.
Have you seen the theatre production of it? It's brilliant, and no Daniel Radcliffe!

In Time

Entertaining, but way too preachy. Timberlake shouldn't do action movies, but, it kept me entertained.

8/10

Brink

This is an old school Disney channel movie, and I remember loving it as a kid. It's so corny, lame, and just overall awesome. It's got some of the best worst lines ever. Makes great for quoting.

9/10

The Vow

Ugh. Chick flick on Valentine's Day. The guy next to me was crying, and I laughed constantly as seemingly every girl sighed, or went awww at the same moment. So cornballish. But it wasn't the worst movie I have ever seen...

7/10

The film was over two hours long, one piss yourself moment doesn't detract from the rest of the tedium ;)

I'm neutral about the film. The stuff with muppets in as focus was great, the stuff with humans in as focus was utterly dreadful. The entire thing comes out pretty "meh".

Still, I think it was probably better than Kermit's Swamp years and significantly better than Muppet's Wizard of Oz.

Sam bought me Tyrannosaur for Valentine's Day and we watched it last night. It's absolutely fantastic. I'm a fan of gritty British dramas, so this was right up my street. The storyline flows together extremely well and the violence doesn't feel over the top a any point (even though there are some extreme scenes). It's emotionally knackering, I don't really cry at films but this had me on the brink of tears. The acting is so so powerful, never have I wanted to reach through the screen and hug someone so much. It's such a tragic, excellent piece of cinema, I highly recommend it.

9/10

Re: "Now Showing"

Ticked Off Trannies With Knives

Absolutely dreadful, and not in a "so bad it's good" way. There were a few good one liners, but overall just total ****.

RE: "Now Showing"

Drive

Everyone kept jerking all over this movie saying how awesome it was so I decided decided to rent it and watch it. Some people even said Ryan Goslig deserved an Oscar. Right, and Transformers will win every award. This movie really was total ****. Goslig was awkward the entire movie, felt like like there was no connection to the characters and it was just a waste of my time. I could go on but that will make me only more annoyed at how i wasted my time with that movie.

Sent from my throne

Re: RE:

tomahawKSU said:
Drive

Everyone kept jerking all over this movie saying how awesome it was so I decided decided to rent it and watch it. Some people even said Ryan Goslig deserved an Oscar. Right, and Transformers will win every award. This movie really was total ****. Goslig was awkward the entire movie, felt like like there was no connection to the characters and it was just a waste of my time. I could go on but that will make me only more annoyed at how i wasted my time with that movie.

Sent from my throne

What movie were you watching? I just recently rewatched this on Blu-Ray yesterday and it was still the epitome of cool. I'm not usually one for action films but Drive has the right mix of awesome car chases, over the top gory violence and a sexy lead man to make this work for me. Plus, the soundtrack is awesome <3

I also love the subtle dialogue, especially between the driver and Irene. They hardly exchange two words together and yet their relationship is so powerful <3

OMG, tomahawKSU, Y U NOT LIKE COOLEST FILM EVER!? Seriously, Jordan be spot on about Drive, it's amazing.

So I haven't been posting my little film reviews, how bad of me. Let's catch up.

Man on a Ledge.

I really liked this film, just enjoyable and by the end of it you're really rooting for the good guys.

Rating: 4/5

Carnage

Really glad I saw this film, absolutely fantastic. Such a simple idea, played out in a really simple way and it's just a great barrel of laughs. The performance from all four actors is superb and if you get a chance to see it, I highly recommend you do. My only issue with the entire film was the rather abrupt ending.

Rating: 4.5/5

The Room with intro Q&A with Tommy Wiseau :p

You all know how awful the film is, well, these special screenings with the man himself were absolute chaos, I loved every minute of them. The man is actually deluded and insane but absolutely hilarious. The crowd were going nuts for it too, plastic footballs were being thrown around, thousands of plastic spoons and, yeah, it was just mental. I'm looking for good quality recordings of the Q&As but the professional ones haven't been released yet, here's a good one though to give you an idea of how mental he actually is...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3o4MQF3tb8&feature=related[/youtube]

Rating: 1/5 (film) - 5/5 (experience)

The Muppets

LOVE IT. Such a fantastic, feel-good film. I'm still trying to get over how many awesome cameos the film has, it's just awesome. The songs are fantastic too, so glad that one of the songs is up for an Oscar. The only issue I had with it (unlike Furie I think the human roles are fine) was that Fozzie Bear sounded wrong, like, really wrong.

Rating: 4.5/5

A monster in Paris

Really nice film, really liked the animation on it. It was a simple little film but just a great watch.

Chronicle

Can't believe how long it took me to see this film, been looking forward to seeing it for a while. Wasn't disappointed. I thought it had a very unique take on the whole superhero type film and it was very enjoyable.

See, the ENTIRE time I was watching I thought somebody switched it out for some different movie. Gosling was so awkward the entire movie, it was painful, there was zero attachment to the characters, the constant head stomping seemed over done. Personally I'm not a fan of over the top gory violence, I hate the Saw movies, and the deaths in this movie felt very saw. The soundtrack made it worse, I felt like I was watching some cheesy 80's teen comedy where a boom box and the token black kid were gonna roll up outside the popular white kids house and then they were gonna encourage him to go get the girl and leave him in the yard with the boombox. (Totally just combined about 5 80's movies but I don't care)

I think Gosling is a horrible actor, and his part was just ****. There was no depth, if he would've been shot in the face and the movie ended, I wouldn't have shed a tear as there was no attachment.

To add to the **** box I have seen recently, this one may take the take:
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Seriously, what the **** did I watch? Cornball, garbage, cheesy, and claiming Angelina Jolie as a star when she's in it for about 5 minutes is a joke. The filter on the camera was obnoxious in my opinion, and it just wasn't my cup of tea.
3/10

Hopefully I see something decent this weekend.

furie said:
The film was over two hours long, one piss yourself moment doesn't detract from the rest of the tedium ;)

What uncut version did you watch that was over two hours long?

I'm neutral about the film. The stuff with muppets in as focus was great, the stuff with humans in as focus was utterly dreadful. The entire thing comes out pretty "meh".

See, Amy Adams and Jason Segel are literally two of my favourite people ever, but, even taking it as not liking the human stuff, there really wasn't THAT much focus on them...? I was actually sad there wasn't more Amy Adams <//3

Oh yeah, and the music was great. Not just the songs, but, Christophe Beck <3

tomahawKSU said:
See, the ENTIRE time I was watching I thought somebody switched it out for some different movie. Gosling was so awkward the entire movie, it was painful, there was zero attachment to the characters, the constant head stomping seemed over done. Personally I'm not a fan of over the top gory violence, I hate the Saw movies, and the deaths in this movie felt very saw. The soundtrack made it worse, I felt like I was watching some cheesy 80's teen comedy where a boom box and the token black kid were gonna roll up outside the popular white kids house and then they were gonna encourage him to go get the girl and leave him in the yard with the boombox. (Totally just combined about 5 80's movies but I don't care)

I think Gosling is a horrible actor, and his part was just ****. There was no depth, if he would've been shot in the face and the movie ended, I wouldn't have shed a tear as there was no attachment.

Constant head stomping? You see no blood until at least an hour into the film and there is one shot of a head being stomped on? And how, in any way, shape or form is the violence in Drive akin to Saw? It kind of makes me think you definitely have watched something different, because it's really nothing like it. Also, the music is 70s inspired so why it made you think of 80s music I don't know =/ The whole style of Drive is grindhouse inspired, so you get the cool, underground retro sounding soundtrack with smooth, sexy characters, cool costumes (that scorpion jacket and gloves combo <3), awesome cars with caricatured blood and violence as opposed to the horror style gore as seen in Saw.

I will argue for this film forever because in my opinion it's just an all rounder and I just can't understand how someone can be so dismissive of it XD

peep said:
The Room with intro Q&A with Tommy Wiseau :p

You all know how awful the film is, well, these special screenings with the man himself were absolute chaos, I loved every minute of them. The man is actually deluded and insane but absolutely hilarious. The crowd were going nuts for it too, plastic footballs were being thrown around, thousands of plastic spoons and, yeah, it was just mental. I'm looking for good quality recordings of the Q&As but the professional ones haven't been released yet, here's a good one though to give you an idea of how mental he actually is...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3o4MQF3tb8&feature=related[/youtube]

Rating: 1/5 (film) - 5/5 (experience)

This. I had some idea on what would happen, but nothing will prepare you. So many spoons. A phone is required to be a torch to find them all on the floor.

nadroJ said:
tomahawKSU said:

Constant head stomping? You see no blood until at least an hour into the film and there is one shot of a head being stomped on? And how, in any way, shape or form is the violence in Drive akin to Saw? It kind of makes me think you definitely have watched something different, because it's really nothing like it. Also, the music is 70s inspired so why it made you think of 80s music I don't know =/ The whole style of Drive is grindhouse inspired, so you get the cool, underground retro sounding soundtrack with smooth, sexy characters, cool costumes (that scorpion jacket and gloves combo <3), awesome cars with caricatured blood and violence as opposed to the horror style gore as seen in Saw.

I will argue for this film forever because in my opinion it's just an all rounder and I just can't understand how someone can be so dismissive of it XD

I would have said it had a rather 80s vibe too, and that also seems to be the way most people compare it to. Tbh, even the head bashing scene, you don't actually see anything, it's just a few spurts of fake blood and some sound effects. Just goes to show how a few effects and camera tricks can make people think they are seeing something they totally don't.

^LOL, I'm still trying to track down a clip of that, think we may have to wait until the official footage comes out.

Mark Kermode compared the violence in Drive to Gaspar Noe's style (famous for some ballsy violence), and I'd like to agree. No stylistic choices were made to make it look different to reality - that's just what it would look like.

I thought the violence was a superb counterpoint to the quietness of certain scenes, but it didn't really shock me. I've spoken to other people who thought it was incredibly violent though, so I guess it's just what you notice.

I also have a friend who didn't understand Drive at all, and thought the film was awkward like you did, Tomahawk - that's fine, of course. To me, those scenes/sequences were very introverted. They allow you to project the feelings you want them to feel on the characters, if that makes sense? I wanted them to fall in love. The combination of music, framing and their acting shows, but doesn't tell you what they're feeling. At least, that's how I experienced it. Each to their own, naturally.

I get what you mean there with the Noe thing, especially the head stamping which I guess is reminiscent of the opening scene of Irreversible, except in Drive it is implied and in Irreversible the camera doesn't blink.

Yeah, Owain, I've noticed a lot of people mention how incredibly violent the film is and, maybe I'm desensitised, but I really wasn't that bothered by it, to me it's not more violent than any other action/thriller?

Just to contradict you slightly, stylistic choices were indeed made to make it look different to reality. I was watching an interview on the extras on my Blu Ray and the director and Ryan Gosling both explain how they wanted the film to seem dreamlike, natural but something slightly off and surreal about it.