What's new

"Now Showing"

Watched The Breakfast Club for the first time in forever.

Still imo the greatest movies of the 80's and is super awesome.

10/10

Watching Space Jam for the first time in years. Will post later. :D

Last night I watched Black Sheep.

It's New Zealand's answer to Shaun of the Dead, with sheep.

In a nutshell, mutant sheep terrorise a farm.

It's a comedy horror but it's terrible. I know it's meant to be tongue in cheap, but I found it so embarrassing to watch.

It made me smirk a few times when the sheep were attacking people ripping off their arms etc but it was just so silly. Yes, I know it's meant to be silly but it's not good silly.

Terrible, do not watch.

On IDISOW?S, it's the wetting the bed type of wee. That annoying.

I liked it. It was a bad film but I was in the mood for a light cheesy movie so I guess that made me enjoy it more. Plus I was expecting it to be absolute tosh anyway.
And most people on sites like imbd, Flixter and Amazon etc seemed to have given it around the same rating I have.

RollerCoasterFanatic said:
Watched The Breakfast Club for the first time in forever.

Still imo the greatest movies of the 80's and is super awesome.

Terrible ending though. The message of that film seems to be:

"Hey, you can be exactly who you want to be and still fit in! Except goth. No goths."

Schindlers List:
Not going to write a proper review as I barely watched the film. Just stuck it on while I was doing some work.
It seemed alright but I don't see why it's rated the 6th greatest movie in the world. After 2 and a half hours I thought 'finally it's finished' then it came up on screen saying 'please inset disk 2 to continue to film' to discover that there was still an hour left.
It can't of been that interesting though as it didn't really seem to be interesting enough to stop me from doing my work which is boring, although there were a few good scenes I saw.

I know you're all going to be immature and go "Oh it's not Saw so Ollie doesn't like it", "Ollie hates good films" etc. Why not grow up and accept that not everyone is going to like everything.
Like I said at the start I was hardly watching it but from what I did see off it it was extremely long and didn't seem very interesting. And I'd rather say what I really felt of it on here rather than pretend I liked it just so you'd shut up and leave me alone.

^Its a film you need to watch not just have on. You dont watch this film for fun, effects or anything like that. You need to watch it for the story and focus 100%.

Its just so well shot and so powerful. I have watched it once and that was enough for me I was a wreck at the end.

Its a film many people dont enjoy if you know what I mean.

We watched a film over the weekend called Shelter, it was fantastic. Yes it has a gay story line, something I did not even know before watching it. Its well filmed and the story and soundtrack is really good. We had rented the film but liked it so much today it was bought.

Marc I know that but I just kept getting distracted. I would watch it again but the length of it kinda puts me off now. :(
I don't want to not like it though.

I think your dislike of the film is born in the fact you didnt even watch it properly Ollie...

How you can write a review of a film that you admit you barely watched and was only on in the background is completely beyond me. In fact, it is completely pointless and is a waste of a post (even if you are nearing the 10k post point :p) It's like reading 2 chapters out of a whole book and saying it is amazing.

Schindlers List is not a "sling it on in the background" movie. Surely you knew what the context of the movie was beforehand? And it really isn't the sort of film that you "like". It is harrowing, thought provoking and educational. There really isn't anything to "like" about it. It is beyond just watching for sheer enjoyment.

This isn't about you liking it or not by the way. I get it that not everyone likes everything. The point is, by your own admission you have no real place actually passing any judgement on the film. Ie Your dislike of the film is totally unjustified because you didn't even watch it properly.

Ollie I do not know anyone that likes the film tbh due to the story.

Its a film people like for the way its shot and directed etc.

Its a hard one to explain. For me being Jewish its a bit different.

Mark said:
How you can write a review of a film that you admit you barely watched and was only on in the background is completely beyond me.
I know which is why I didn't want to give it a rating and at the start said "Not going to write a proper review as I barely watched the film"

Surely you knew what the context of the movie was beforehand? And it really isn't the sort of film that you "like".
I didn't actually. I was just told it was good so picked it up at Blockbuster.

you have no real place actually passing any judgement on the film. Ie Your dislike of the film is totally unjustified because you didn't even watch it properly.
Again, which is why I didn't give it a rating and said that I only disliked the bits that I saw. But then that would be due to it not making sense due to skipping bits and missing all the important dialogue.

I do hope to watch it again next year or something. I don't hate the film and I can't make a final judgement due to not watching it all, but I was just distracted.
It's didn't grab my attention but then that's not the film is meant to do and it's meant to show something that really happened and how horrible it was with millions of Jews dying.

A film I watched on rental last night was Shelter

Every now and again it seems that another director wants to paint us a picture of the quintessential gay romance. More often then not these stories fail to manifest the way you expect and you find yourself winding up disappointed by a complete lack of integrity or true insight; instead you are cringing within minutes at the pink tank-topped camp cliché of it all. Thankfully, you will not find any of that here. There is not a gratuitous sex scene nor excessive use of stereotypical gay males to be found. Shelter is in fact a rare find and breaks the mould in everything from it’s beautifully sculpted script to a superbly chosen cast.

The focus of the movie transcends just being romantic or a "coming-out" tale to the point that it is also a life story in which the lead character is making tough choices which have repercussions for the family dynamic. Just like the real world. Herein is what really helps the film to work. This immense amount of texture and honesty gives the movie a real glow that will engage and touch those from all walks of life. The characters, which are fantastically varied and refuse to conform to any of the usual expectations in a "gay" movie are both deeply developed and believable. This again, elevates the impact of the movie and makes it all the more effective.

After being completely mesmerized by the film it became very clear to me that this film did not get the attention it should have in terms of Hollywood. Brokeback Mountain was heralded as the moment in which the mass cinema going audience would open its eyes to the world of Gay Cinema. Evidently this never really materialised and to that end… Shelter is everything that Brokeback Mountain should have been.

10/10

^One review is enough Mark. :p
Does anyone know what's wrong with CF tonight? It's been on and off and then all these errors keep coming up when you finally get it to work.

Anyway I should be watching The Grudge 2 tomorrow night. I'm not expecting much as the first one wasn't anything special.

Ollie, like everyone is saying, sit down on the damn couch and watch it, now, and not "next year" as you put it. You have to feel for the characters from the very beginning, and having the movie on in the background isn't going to help with that. Plus you have to know what's going on.. Which again, if you're distracted, you won't.

Even I like Schindler's List, and I have a short attention span and get confused easily. It EASILY deserves a spot in the top ten films of all time, the ending scene being one of the saddest things like, ever.

That's like watching a movie like the Green Mile in the background and saying "you don't like it". You can't feel for the characters and realyl get into the film if you just plop it into the DVD player and ignore it.