What's new

"Now Showing"

It'll have damaged Odeon's reputation though no doubt. If some people don't know that they are showing it now, they'll have gone elsewhere to watch it...

Got loads of DVD's from Blockbuster today. So shall be trying to watch at least one a day for the next week.

Buried Alive:
The thing that made me pick this up was that it includes Tobin Bell from Saw. :p He wasn't in it much but it was weird seeing him play another character all energetic and weird instead of being dead or dying off cancer.
The good bits were that there were fit girls in it finding any excuse to strip off completely and show everything which was amusing. Some of the deaths were also hilarious. The make-up and SFX on the zombie woman thing were great though, she was pretty scary looking.
Bad points... Almost the whole film. It took a while for them to get to the place and wasted too long on characters that don't last that long. The gore was so unrealistic but that added to the hilarity of it. The plot was stupidly thin and they spent about 10 minutes in the middle of the film with a scene trying to explain all the curse and stuff which was silly.
So yeah avoid it unless you like lots of boobies and Tobin Bell.
4/10

Just finished watching District 9.

Quite an enjoyable film actually,pretty good storyline,quite funny to begin with,and makes a change to actually be on the side of the aliens,rather than the aliens being the baddies.

One of the few films I've seen,that makes me want to go out and buy the dvd.

8.5/10

Irreversible:
Wanted to see this film to see if there really is a film out there that is really ****ed up and can affect me. Jordan reminded me that I wanted to see this so I went and got it yesterday.
The first thing you'll notice is the whole film runs backwards. It starts with the end credits and then the scenes run in reverse order. Most people also don't like the way the camera works. It spends the first 20 minutes of so spinning round which is really disorientating. I thought it was quite clever as it's meant to make you feel uneasy, to aid this they play a low frequency tone throughout as well which affects people and makes then feel nautious (sp?) and dizzy, you can't hear it as it's barely audible but it's there.

From a technical standpoint the film is amazing. All the scenes are done in one take with a single camera. The script was only three pages long and most the film was improvised. There's around 13 scenes in total and all the timings and acting is spot on and the camera is always in the right place at the right time. It's really gritty and horrible and contains some intense scenes which I'll come onto in a minute.

When this film was shown at a film festival it had loads of people walking out, this may either be due to feeling dizzy and sick or due to not being able to handle some of the intense scenes in this film. The acting is great and realistic so deserve a pat on the back for that.
Now I'm going to briefly describe a couple of the nasty bits, they're not really spoilers as such but if you're planning on watching it and don't want it ruined at all then skip the next bit.

Anyway there's a scene early on (which is at the end of the film but the start as it's running backwards) where the two main characters are going round this gay sex club trying to find a guy who did some horrible things (which is shown in a later scene) they find him and then the scene gets kinda sick and twisted. I won't reveal what happens but it's not pleasant to watch. I'd love to know how they managed to film all of it in one take though.

The other scene is the one everyone complains about and is the whole reason these two men are seeking revenge. Like Jordan said it lasts quite a long time (about 12 minutes I think) and is where a woman gets raped in an underpass. It's really intense and quite hard to watch but it does make you realise that this sort of thing does happen in real life and how horrible and bad it is for them.

Ok if you skipped that bit you can start reading again now.
Overall it's a great film, not to watch if you don't like nasty stuff or don't mind reading subtitles (as it's a French film) but from a technical and acting standpoint it's amazing.
Definitely worth seeing if you get the chance.
8/10

mild spoilers as in:

Ollie said:
they're not really spoilers as such but if you're planning on watching it and don't want it ruined at all then skip the next bit.

I believe they are spoilers, giving away the end and the start of the film!!

And I said to skip it if you don't want to spoil it then to skip that section. So it's your own bloody fault if you read on.
Stop moaning and go take some pictures.

Rocknrolla

Like most young adults in the late 90's/early 00's, I loved Guy Ritchie's Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. That, in turn, led me on to Snatch (snigger), a film I also enjoy watching.

Then he married Skeletor (although in fairness, that is insulting Skeletor) and I decided to boycott all of his films.

Several years have passed, he's split from Skeletor and I'm addicted to Lovefilm. I couldn't be arsed with Swept Away (as it featured Skeletor) or Revolver (poor reviews) so I jumped back on the Guy Ritchie train with Rocknrolla as I read it was a return to the LS&TSB days.

I honestly don't know if I enjoyed the film or not. It was "typical" Ritchie; full that quick-fire scene changing/montage sort of stuff, everybody has a nickname, gruff Londoner voiceovers, script full of similes and characters doing seperate stuff that all comes together in the conclusion. If this film was a person, it would be Jeremy Clarkson.

It was entertaining but I felt like I'd seen it all before.

On IDISOW?S, It feels like you need a wee but nothing is coming out, so cock goes back in pants and you walk away unsatisfied. At least you tried.

In Ollie's defense, it's not like it's a new, just-released movie. A lot of people are well aware of the scenes he's talking about, even if they haven't seen it; it's become that notorious.

Ok, so there will be plenty on here who haven't seen it, or heard about it, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's "spoiling" movies, since it's not exactly something that a lot of people reading here were either interested in or waiting to see. Quite the opposite actually; more people are likely to want to see it now out of curiosity

Then again, gavin, if I see that Ollie has reviewed a film, I assume it's some sort of bollocks horror and only skim read the post for potential jokes about toddler hair.

Black Sheep:
Have avoided this movie until now as I thought it was going to be some crappy cheesy film. I was pleasantly surprised. It had quite a few funny moments in it and the whole film seemed to work and play out well. The acting was pretty decent and the gore and make-up was brilliant.
It's not an amazing film but it's great fun to watch as it's not often you get zombie sheep and it's got quite a few gags and funny moments in it.
Worth picking up if you want a fun film to watch with some friends.
7/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orV0ja9S28E&feature=related[/youtube]

Watched 3 films last night, 2 of which were on my list:

Ghostbusters was up first. This was on my list. This film is out of it's head! It's like a stoner film for kids. It had more swearing and very strong sexual references than most 15 films I've watched. Very good, rather amusing and certainly one to watch when you're out of your head.

8/10

Paper Heart was up next, also on my list. Michael Cera was as good as ever, even if it was more like a documentory. Not the best docu-drama I've seen, and I felt like it had a bit of an anticlimax. Worth a watch for all Michael Cera fans.

6/10

Marley and Me was the last film. not on my list, but it always seems to get a mention each lesson in Film. It was really sad, much better than I anticipated. The case makes it look naff, but it was from it. By the end, I was balling my eyes out. The only bad thing is that it was perhaps slightly too long.

8/10

Paper Heart was up next, also on my list. Michael Cera was as good as ever, even if it was more like a documentory. Not the best docu-drama I've seen, and I felt like it had a bit of an anticlimax. Worth a watch for all Michael Cera fans.

6/10

Marley and Me was the last film. not on my list, but it always seems to get a mention each lesson in Film. It was really sad, much better than I anticipated. The case makes it look naff, but it was from it. By the end, I was balling my eyes out. The only bad thing is that it was perhaps slightly too long.

8/10

I was actually gonna rent Paper Heart because I thought it looked cute, but then I didn't, and now I don't think I will.

Marley and Me, I have to agree, was a lot better than I expected as well, and I cried soo much, like that's a surprise :lol:

ALICE IN WONDERLAND IN 6 DAYS!

And I can't wait to see Shutter Island too, and I finally get to see Where the Wild Things Are on DVD, woo.

Martyn H has already seen Alice in Wonderland ;) World premiere streaming at Cineworld :p It's on my list :D

and Paper Heart was cute and nice, and I love Michael Cera, like, really love him. I just felt like I couldn't connect with the girl.

Sorry for double post, but just seen Up In The Air, another from my list. It was quite good, had an above average storyline and was mildly charming and witty at times. A nice all round film.

7.5/10