What's new

"Now Showing"

Tay, I wouldn't recommend it to you - you'd probably just get confused because more then one thing happens in the course of the film.

I'm not that dumb; I can understand most movies, but if you throw me like, a film about action and mobs with like a zillion characters, then I get confused.

Is Ms. Peacock adorable in the film?

peep

CF Legend
Haven't posted in quite some time due to internet sillyness but I'll try and remember the films I've seen recently and give you a part of my opinion on them.

Innerspace

This film was produced by Spielberg and written/directed by the guy who made Gremlins. For some reason I had never heard of it before and saw i cheap on dvd so I purchased it. It stars Meg Ryan, Dennis Quaid (sp?) and Martin Short and is basically about a guy who for an experiment gets minimized in a space shuttle to fly into the body of a rabbit to do experiments etc. All goes wrong and he ends up in the body of Martin Short, one amusing scene after another occurs. Its a great film and I enjoyed every moment of it, somehow it hasnt really aged and the effects are great.

Rating:4/5

Hellboy II

After watching Hellboy a week before release I decided to see the sequel as it looked quite good, and it was. It was a good film with some great scenes. The Dr guy thing annoyed me but I was able to put up with it.

Rating:3/5

Step Brothers

I was a little iffy about seeing this as JohnC Reilly and Will Ferrell have made some good and some bad films together, thankfully this is one of the better films. It has some absolutely hilarious scenes and its quite original.

Rating: 4/5

I can't think of anything else at the mo but there has been a few, I'll post them another time.

Ollie

CF Legend
Keeping Mum:
Was really good. Witty, funny and clever. It was weird seeing Rowan Atkinson playing a really dull character, but he does it really well. Maggie Smith was really good as Grace and was quite creepy at times the way she stared. I thought it would show more about the killings but then it isn't meant to be a gory film.
Pure English comedy. :p
8.9/10

thx

Mega Poster
A few movies I've seen recently:

Edward Scissorhands - I liked it, there was sort of nice fairy-tale feeling and pleasant atmosphere around. Oh and Winona Ryder was quite hot. The plot was ok, but well predictable, still it's a solid film. 7.5/10

Fargo - A bit strange movie, yet in a great way. You could definitely see the Coen 'stamp' on it. It had quite many funny bits, 'hidden' critic against the (US) culture, nice atmosphere and great dialogues. Apparently it's made after some real events (as in not based on which is quite interesting ). 9/10 Furie, I think is better than Ladykillers so you should enjoy it.

King of California - I randomly loaned this as I had heard some good reviews about it. It was a nice film, had a bit slow pace though, but it was interesting and different enough that it didn't get boring. Michael Douglas made quite a great performance playing a slightly messed up stubborn ex-mental patient. 7.4/10.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Taylor would hate it!

I probably would; if there is a main story and then a bunch of small little stories, I probably wouldn't even bother watching it.

No, it's on many levels - different thing. Basically, it's a story of a cop in the future hunting down rogue genetically created slaves. As such, it's a simple action film, but not a very satisfying one.

It's when you realise that there are a lot of stories all being told, but within the main story that it gets better. You can watch the film from the view of a lot of the different characters, and the film changes - it's all about point of view. However, it never gets in the way of the basic plot, so you can still just watch it as the cop hunter story. Phew! :lol:

Ben, Clue is pretty good - are you just catching up on all the films I watched when going through my "must watch cult films" phase about 20 years ago? :p

Last night was Barton Fink. I need to watch it again really... It's not as pretentious and hard as Eraserhead, but it's very similar. It's all metaphor, which makes it tough unless you're in the mood for it - but it does it in an easy to grasp manner. I just wasn't expecting it, so it took me a while to 'click'. Wonderful bit of film making though, superb acting and just a really engrossing watch - 9/10. Taylor would hate it! :p

Fargo is on my list thx :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Just finished watching Coyote Ugly after been told to watch it by my girlfriend. It's got or special song in it (But I do Love you - LeAnn Rimes (It's a link by the way)) But it didn't make the film more special. It was watchable, but not something I'm desperate to watch again in a hurry.
6.7/10

It's got or special song in it (But I do Love you - LeAnn Rimes (It's a link by the way))

You guys have a special song.. Involving loving eachother? :p

Tropic Thunder

I was expecting this to be pretty funny, and though it was funny, it wasn't as comical as I thought it would be. It was one of those really dumb films with a dumb storyline and stupid humour thrown in here and there, but with all the great actors in it and the likeable characters, it was pulled off pretty well!

7/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Tropic Thunder

I was expecting this to be pretty funny, and though it was funny, it wasn't as comical as I thought it would be. It was one of those really dumb films with a dumb storyline and stupid humour thrown in here and there, but with all the great actors in it and the likeable characters, it was pulled off pretty well!

7/10

When I first read that, I thought you were going to do a Homer Simpson:
Homer Simpson said:
I thought it would be fun and zany, like that movie Spaceballs. But instead it was dark and disturbing. Like that movie - Police Academy.

:lol:

Ho hum!

The Crow
Not seen this film for years, but it was £3 on DVD so thought I'd invest in it. It's not worn well, but I remember being stunned by it at the time. It's also not quite so cool when you've grown up :)

Oddly, when I first watched it, I knew nothing about the film, so I thought it was great, but a bit overly sentimental. I couldn't understand why everyone else was raving about it. It's when I found out Brandon Lee had died during shooting of the film it became clear. Much like Ledger is probably getting greater recognition as the Joker, Lee was getting greater recognition as The Crow. The over sentimentality was added as a tribute to Lee.

Still, it has it's moments - the action is fast, the deaths have a cool edge to them and the one liners are... Well... one liners :lol: And any film with a soundtrack by The Cure, NIN, Rage against the Machine, Pantera and Jesus and Marychain HAS to be good! :lol:

If only it hadn't all been ruined by goth/vampire wannabes at uni who thought that dressing up as the Crow at every opportunity was cool. Sorry, but sad, fat, computer geeks in leather and electrical tape are NOT cool! :lol:

Erm, film review anyway, despite aging badly, it's still well worth a watch, and well worth £3 - 7/10

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Doomsday.

Great film! Action, Bloody and guts everwhere, well put together...

Go on IMDb for other info as im not going to right a full essay!

Anyway. 9/10!!

Ben

CF Legend
The same person who told me to see Clue also chastised me for not having seen Airplane, so since I found it for a couple of quid today, I bought and watched it.

Now, I totally didn't realise until watching it just how widespread quotes/clips of it are - I felt like I'd seen all the jokes before. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't still hilarious. I was drinking tea during the guitar/IV part, and nearly choked to death I was laughing so much.

Stupid, idiotic... hilarious, one of the funniest films I've ever seen - well worth the praise it gets.

I was drinking tea during the guitar/IV part, and nearly choked to death I was laughing so much.

LOL the girl looks like a fish when she gets the IV pulled. I remember when I saw that for the first time I was laughing so hard.

There's a number two in case you didn't know, which is also pretty good, but it's still not as good as the first one.

mrclam

Giga Poster
I bought "The Ringer" for $3 in rogers video on the weekend.

Only picked it up because it was cheap.. i mean.. 1 pound 50!!!

Although now, having watched it - I feel ripped off.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The Mummy Returns

I found the DVD and wanted to watch it after seeing the new film. I actually really like the Mummy films.

The special effects looked a it dated at times, but they where still exceptionally good. The plot was good, and some of the lines in the film are pure brilliance.

Overall, a great film, that still hasn't got old.

9/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
The same person who told me to see Clue also chastised me for not having seen Airplane, so since I found it for a couple of quid today, I bought and watched it.

I thought everyone in the world had seen Airplane! Sheesh! :lol: Superb film anyway, and the best of the lot. Number 2 is also awesome actually.

Now go and watch some Police Squad! :)

On a run at the moment, film a night! Last night was Rambo - the new one. Obviously I was expecting clever dialogue, tight scripting, high metaphor and for the film to show me a deep meaning and help me towards enlightenment.

I wasn't disappointed. Such a deep and moving film, cleverly written, with such a consuming, witty irony I was brought to tears!

Okay, it was a shallow, bloodfest. Piss poor dialogue, piss poor story - hugely gratuitous, massively violent. Superb, mindless entertainment.

Snoo would love this film, and the plot is simple enough for even Taylor! Win win! 8/10 for entertainment value! :)

peep

CF Legend
Ah, Ben reminded me that I recently watched Clue. I've been meaning to watch it since my sister purchased it on DVD. It was great, zany and absolutely chaotic, excellent. I enjoyed every minute of it and I will definatly be watching it again soon.

Last night I watched Doomsday on blu-ray. It was good, very British. Only in a British film would you find a future where Scotland has been closed off and Malcolm MacDowell owns a castle...sweet! I thought the action scenes were good, the story was interesting and the government was as twisted and idiotic as the current government. Some scenes went a bit too far and realistic, for example the bbq, I almost couldn't look. Overall I enjoyed it and it should be a film that most peeps should see (especially if you like gore).

Rating: 4/5

marc

CF Legend
Saw Dark Night again last night.

Noticed a few more things like the transport system was still there in the city. I also picked up on the one liners a bit more.

But they seem to have cut down the last scene a bit wonder if that was due to the complaints.

Still enjoyed it though even though Southend cinema is rubbish.

Richie

Hyper Poster
I saw The Strangers last night.

OH MY GOD. It was the scariest film I have ever seen in my life. I spent most of it hiding behind my hands. People were walking out the cinema because of how scary it was and omgggggg, it was just so horrible.

I didn't get the ending...

mrclam

Giga Poster
Richie said:
I saw The Strangers last night.

OH MY GOD. It was the scariest film I have ever seen in my life.

Yeah.. but yer only 17..

:lol:

If you want REAL scary.. you should see me naked...