What's new

"Now Showing"

mrclam

Giga Poster
Problem with watching the young ones nowadays is that they keep cutting away from action to popular bands of the time.. Which in some cases is okay - the bands still fair well today.. but in others.. they just suck balls.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I watched Black Hawk Down last night on Blu-Ray.

I'm not too big a fan of war films generally, and the period doesn't appeal and the like, but it was a fantastically made film. Seriously great stuff, but a little on the dull side (just because the subject matter turns me off a bit).

Still, great all round bit of film-making - 9/10 :)

Snoo

The Legend
furie said:
I watched Black Hawk Down last night on Blu-Ray.

I'm not too big a fan of war films generally, and the period doesn't appeal and the like, but it was a fantastically made film. Seriously great stuff, but a little on the dull side (just because the subject matter turns me off a bit).

Still, great all round bit of film-making - 9/10 :)

<3

That movie was fantastic, of course as I am a big fan of war movies. I'll have to downlo.. I mean rent it from the local rental store.

;)

scotlandrulz

Roller Poster
OK...Time for a review

I watched Hellboy 2 the other night.

It was OK, it still has that witty Hellboy charm about it, and there are a fair few funny moments. The action scenes are good, and Hellboy starts to get in touch with his emotions more in this film. The monsters are as big as ever, and the CGI is stunning.

All in all a solid 9.5/10

Snoo

The Legend
Man on Fire

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The acting feels just great, the story is great, and everything seems to just.. work.

Plus, bitches get killed.. :p

10/10

Ew.

That movie was okay, but a sequel? Is it really necessary? The first one was decent but it's not like it ruptured the box office because it did so well, and I don't hear anything about it ever, so I doubt that the second one will be super successful. One thing about the first one is that it was a pretty jumpy movie.

That movie was fantastic, of course as I am a big fan of war movies. I'll have to downlo.. I mean rent it from the local rental store.

I'M TELLING!

Ollie

CF Legend
I've seen some more films.

Shrek 3, Meh, not as good as the first 2 and they should stop. Although they're planning a 4th one anyway.
4/10

The Mummy Returns, classic mummy film and is really good (although not as good as the first) and brings back happy memories.
8/10

Happy Gilmore, quite a funny film and has quite a few laugh out loud moments. Shame there weren't more Ice Hockey scenes. :p
8/10

neo

Mega Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
That movie was okay, but a sequel? Is it really necessary? The first one was decent but it's not like it ruptured the box office because it did so well, and I don't hear anything about it ever, so I doubt that the second one will be super successful. One thing about the first one is that it was a pretty jumpy movie.

The Descent did receive a cult status in England when it was released. The plot for the Descent 2 sounds decent enough. However, Ron Harris has picked up the directing duties, with Neil Marshall (the original writer/director) executive producer. So whether the sequel will be as good as the original remains to be seen. Besides, it’s a pretty low budget film, so it won’t exactly break the bank if it isn’t super successful.

The Descent did receive a cult status in England when it was released.

Oh, really? I don't even think it was going to be released here at first, but we ended up getting it months after it was released in England, when usually we get movies first and England gets them later. And, I remember the theatre being like, completely empty, haha.

mrclam

Giga Poster
I actually liked the descent.

Although I saw the dvd release with the "real" ending. I'd have probably hated seeing the "nicey nicey" american cinema ending.

Dont see how they could do a sequel.

Here's why:

[spoiler select to read]
The first one was all about a woman going a bit mad.. At the end you didnt know for sure if there really were monsters down there - or whether she had gone psycho and killed everyone herself. That's what made it a good film.

If they do a sequel.. They could either follow it on from the "nicey nicey" awful american ending where she gets out safe. But then why would she go down again?

Or they could follow another group getting killed off by underground monsters.. which'd ruin the "psychological thriller" bit as it'd show that there really were monsters and it wasnt just her being a nutbar.

Either way - it'd be ****

[/spoiler select to read]

i'd imagine the american version did so badly because it was ruined by the dumbed down ending for americans...

Cant believe they totally changed the ending for americans.. I
ve sen both endings and the modified one wouldve completely ruined it

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Well I just watched Finding Neverland with Johnny Depp, on t.v. It was only an hour an a half, and he's a pretty good actor so I gave it a go.

It was actually pretty good! It's about how the writer of Peter Pan developed his ideas and came to write it. Quite an interesting and easy-going storyline, which I never really knew about. The acting was pretty good too from a good cast. Not the usual type of film I see but it was still quite enjoyable.

8½/10.

I also saw Planet Terror recently which was pretty gruesome and over-the-top in some places, but still great!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
What have I seen?

Spiderwick Chronicles
Standard Kids book to film condensed from many books to a single two hours. As such, it was constantly trying to be more than it could ever deliver. It was fine, but it just needed (and wanted) to be much deeper. It entertained well enough in a mindless way for a couple of hours - 3/5.

Daywatch
Nightwatch was a superb film. It really did something very different at the time. It was stunning direction, attached to a stunning storyline.

Daywatch followed on with the stunning direction, but the story was much vaguer and more disjointed. Some scenes were badly cut and edited, and it distracted overall. Still, the set pieces were glorious and made you want to watch the film to see the next bit of stunning cinematography.

Very difficult to rate, as it was a glorious film to watch, but it was all style over substance. It pains me to give it a 3/5!

Stand By Me

I didn't know what to expect from a film about a bunch of kids going to find a dead person, but it actually turned out to be pretty good. The characters were likeable, and the story was decent; movies based on Stephen King books usually deliver and this one did.

So yep, I recommend it. Maybe it doesn't deserve as high of a ranking as it has on IMDb, but for me, it gets a 7.5/10.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
When I watched Stand By Me a few weeks ago I thought the same. It was superb twenty years ago, but it's aged badly. It's still a good film, but it has lost a lot over time - Especially up against the likes of Shawshank and Green Mile. Some films can stand the test of time, Stand By Me does, but only by the thinest of grasps.

I sometimes wonder if people vote on these films based on the last time they watched them a dozen years ago, or after a recent watching?

When I watched Stand By Me a few weeks ago I thought the same. It was superb twenty years ago, but it's aged badly. It's still a good film, but it has lost a lot over time - Especially up against the likes of Shawshank and Green Mile. Some films can stand the test of time, Stand By Me does, but only by the thinest of grasps.

Yeah, I never really had that happen to me though. I know what you mean, but usually movies that I watched ten or so years ago that I watch now, I still think the same of them. Neverending Story might actually be the only movie that has lost its thing over time for me, but I still really like it.

I dunno, it was a cute movie and it's something I will probably watch again, just not anytime very soon. It was only five bucks so it was definitely worth it and I liked the fact that the storyline wasn't complicated, because if there's any beef I have with certain movies, it's a complex storyline.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I saw Jumper last night.

It dosen't really have any plot, but its quite entertaining.

Probally a 8/10 fits it well.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I saw The Dark Knight a couple of weeks ago now, but i've never got round to commenting on it. I have been looking forward to it for quite a while now, as I really enjoyed the first Bale Batman film, so there was a possibility i'd overhype it for myself.

I still really enjoyed it though, but it wasn't quite as good as hoped. Heath Ledger was an absolute standout for me, he didn't disappoint at all, in fact, despite all the hype, he still managed to surprise me a bit, and played the role slightly differently to how I expected. The completely chaotic personality worked absoutely perfectly. I thought Aaron Eckhart was good in the TwoFace role too, but Bale's starting to irritate me as Batman. The grunting voice in the Batman character just irritates me, and he doesn't seem to have anything special about him in the Bruce Wayne character either. Shame really, because i've always liked him as an actor, and he did play the part well in Batman Begins. I still think its one of Gary Oldman's weaker performances of his career too, but to match up to some, he's got to go a lot, and the part doesn't really allow for it.

Still, i'd give the film a 9/10. It is probably the best thing i've seen this year.

----------------
Now playing: System of a Down - Aerials
via FoxyTunes