What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Martyn B

CF Legend
This is being picky, I know, but the seating and floor is all rather retro for the futuristic X-Sector theme

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I always thought X-Sector was like.. "what the 90s thought the future would be like" which ironically now looks kinda retro.

Lofty

CF Legend
**** sake. Coaster Enthusiasts discussing the Interior Design of a restaurant at Alton Towers. This discussion is enthralling.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Nothing else to discuss at the moment. In less you want to go on the quantum time loop of taking the piss out of the shipping containers.
At least this isn't a flame war between two individuals about manufacturer on another Alton Towers future thread.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
That's terrible marketing. I have no idea what the ride is about anymore - is it some sort of fantasy/alien tie-in, or a broken lift in a shopping centre? Is the ride a trick elevator or is there more to it? This ad just seems to be the other end of the scale to the previous stuff.

And as for calling it their "scariest attraction ever..." - just desperate, and tired.

Martyn B

CF Legend
As random as it is, I like it! If you're not concentrating something like that could catch you off guard.

You dont get to say it too often, but thats actually some good (but random) marketing from the Merlin!

Colossus

Giga Poster
I saw this on their Facebook page accompanied with an amusing video of people walking into it. Its a bit random with regards to marketing the ride, but its a cool lift nun the less.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
That's terrible marketing. I have no idea what the ride is about anymore - is it some sort of fantasy/alien tie-in, or a broken lift in a shopping centre? Is the ride a trick elevator or is there more to it? This ad just seems to be the other end of the scale to the previous stuff.

Oh quit moaning. I actually LIKE the fact I have NO idea (well a vague idea) of what this ride will do. Infact I'm quite excited because I think this is the first time I can remember where I really don't know what to expect.

Why give it away now. As long as they're getting the "Sub-Terra" name/brand out there s'all that matters.

dominoes

Mega Poster
Robbie said:

And as for calling it their "scariest attraction ever..." - just desperate, and tired.

Well what else would they do?

"Nemesis: Sub-Terra.
It's a drop ride. It's a bit scary. There are tentacles."

:roll:

scw55

Hyper Poster
Good marketing. I just hope this optical illusion isn't the main reason Sub-Terra will be 'frightening'. It's a very effective one, but they've just revealed it and I would imagine they could easily utilise this concept to make the drop seem a lot further. I hope it's just one small aspect of the whole ride.
I also will be disappoint if no tentacles.

I will be eagerly on day it opens... trawling Youtube for POV videos because I am a massive pussy and I hate riding theme park rides :)

Lofty

CF Legend
What a great way of marketing, it really is, but, calling it "The Scariest Attraction Ever", might just get them into the same boat as what they did with Th13teen.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Perhaps they recruited 8 year olds to pick 'buzz words' to describe the attraction, because I would I thought it'd be a massive PR disaster to exaggerate too much. I thought Sub-Terra the name was a good example of good PR because if the rider didn't find it 'terrifying', Alton can cover their arse and say 'we never mentioned Terror, the name means it's underground, dummy'.

Besides if they're basing the 'scariness' on claustrophobia then some people will be fine. You have people who thoroughly enjoy caving and crawling up tight places.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I'm willing to bet they've spilled the beans on the whole thing now.

Board. Rise up a bit. Station floor drops out, unveiling the false perspective "deep shaft".

Fall.

Debark at original level, perhaps after a bit of a bounce to close the floor.

Could be decent, if done well, but why give up the surprise now?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
bob_3_ said:

Oh quit moaning. I actually LIKE the fact I have NO idea (well a vague idea) of what this ride will do. Infact I'm quite excited because I think this is the first time I can remember where I really don't know what to expect.

Why give it away now. As long as they're getting the "Sub-Terra" name/brand out there s'all that matters.

dominoes said:
Well what else would they do?

"Nemesis: Sub-Terra.
It's a drop ride. It's a bit scary. There are tentacles."

:roll:
Blimey, I hadn't realised I'd moaned that much!

Just saying that on their own the comic-book teaser and lift-shaft stunts are great. Together, they don't work. With the earlier change of attraction name and the over-used "Scariest ever" tag it just seems the marketing team haven't really got a grip on what this ride is about.

dominoes

Mega Poster
^Ah, I guess I agree on that front. They don't really work. But hey, maybe one day Merlin will get a publicity stunt right...