What's new

Nürburgring | Ring°Racer | S&S Compressed Air Launch

marc said:
Please give me one coaster that goes round a corner at 180 mph?

F1 drivers are trained to take the G Force of 4.5 g we the public are not.

Dododnpa does it at about 3g, so I can't see any reason why this couldn't have.

Screaming Coasters said:
marc said:

That is verticle g-force, an F1 car pulls lateral g-force when it turns. F1 drivers are trained to withstand 4.5G of lateral force, most average people can not take that. People complain about the force of Wild Mouse rides, but they only pull 1.8 at best.

I still think the track should have been shaped like a race track and have the very strong brake at the end, for such a fast ride it seems too small.

Some supercars can pull1.5-2 lateral G, the Caparo T1 can pull 3. They use racing seats and racing harnesses, and are still uncomfortable. If a roller coaster went that fast, the force alone will be able to snap some peoples necks, and thats before considering wind and rain hitting them. The brake is there because the ride would pull too many G force in verticle and lateral plains, when it enters the hill, when it reaches the top, and when it turns.

Blaze said:
Screaming Coasters said:
marc said:

That is verticle g-force, an F1 car pulls lateral g-force when it turns. F1 drivers are trained to withstand 4.5G of lateral force, most average people can not take that. People complain about the force of Wild Mouse rides, but they only pull 1.8 at best.

You're talking to me as if I'm thick.

I just pointed out that Dodonpa pulls 3G (yes, vertical, I do know).
I'd also like to point out that Mission Space pulls a sustained 3G for a good minute. So please, don't talk to me as if I'm dumb.

So there is no coaster then that goes round a corner at 180 mph pulling over 3g glad that is sorted :)

Erol Mission Space had a high number of deaths I am sure they dont go as fast as it used to, plus again that ride is very different from a coaster. It builds up the speed and does not just whip you into a corner.

elmerfudd said:
I wasnt talking about the coaster, I was having a debate with Neal at the fact F1 cars can go around corners fast.

And I think you'll find that if you actually read my posts, then you will see that I quite clearly stated "sharp corners". So shush you :p

Plus Eau Rouge and 130R are the only corners to be taken at 180; and they're hardly "sharp" :lol: !

I do aplogise neal and my lips are sealed :)
And Marc, the same with Erol, please dont speak to me asif im stupid because im not, honest :D

I still think it should have more than a launch! It should maybe go round the whole of the nurburgring, that would be awesome. with afew tight corners :)

Its not a problem :)
Can we actually get back to the topic now guys!
How much did this thing cost to build anyway?

We were on topic.

Mission Space only had one death if I'm not mistaken? But that was because of a medical condition, nothing to do with the ride itself. They have however made one pod slower than the other, so you get a choice before you ride.

This could have easily take a corner, the coaster goes 135mph. I've done 170mph on a motorway and cornered at about 160mph, nothing happened to me.

Its different Erol when the corner is banked and the car rolls with it, plus you were in a nice seat and not having the wind blowing at you. The is where you say it was a convertible lol :)

Its very different as is Mission Space, I have been on it. If anyones neck was going to go it would be mine, but I was fine. And if I remember your head is supported each side.

I think 2 people died and a huge number of people were sick.

Hmm, Theres always ways...

I mean look at Dodonpa -

dodonpa2.jpg

It can do it with a 110mph max speed, whats another 25mph? S&S made it and they can do it again.

At the end of the day anyway people are saying they don't see the point in the brakes, if there were no brakes you would hit that corner at 170 odd mph.

As I said anyway its not about corners etc.

I know what you are saying Erol but even 5 mph can make a difference.

I can't believe that people are still arguing about the brakes after the launch.

The purpose of this coaster is to simulate an F1 run.

After the station there is a few zig-zag turns to simulate tire warming.
Then comes the launch - F1 car start.
Then the brakes - how many tight turns does an F1 take at top speed??

Brakes are essential for the whole F1 feel!!

^^I'm not surprised. :lol:

At the end of the day, it's about what the park agrees with the designer, not some internet coaster enthusiast who has little/no experience in running that type of business. Can people please get over it

Rant over - I'm glad that the park decided to go with a bit of a coastery section in the end, it really stands out and builds up the adrenaline even more. A ride has be about showmanship and looking intimidating to make it exciting in the first place.

Just found a video taken from German tv of the first launch with Michael Schumacher onboard. It only shows the launch though at about 3.20.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjDWiXoBdkw[/youtube]

Tomatron said:
^^I'm not surprised. :lol:

At the end of the day, it's about what the park agrees with the designer, not some internet coaster enthusiast who has little/no experience in running that type of business. Can people please get over it

Choice words, since I owned an amusement park already :p