What's new

Music Recommendations

Will

Strata Poster
^
You learn something new every day... Alas, the track's that old that I gather the singer's been dead 15 years.

Back in... 2007, I would say (so he won't even remember) - @SaiyanHajime recommended these guys to me - and I randomly remembered them today, thinking they fit the current mood. I gather they've changed singer, so no idea what anything post-Dressed Up As Life sounds like...

Sandman

Giga Poster
I quite enjoy ambient electronic music, and one of my favourite artists/bands of this genre is Boards of Canada.
Always enjoy sticking the headphones on and zoning out to many of their albums.

This track is a good'un.
I enjoy this accompanying video montage too (ripped from the experimental film Koyaaniqatsi). Works well together in an unusual, reflective way.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I dunno where the footage is actually from, but it's definitely not Koyaanisqatsi.

Let me rephrase, inspired by Koyaanisqatsi.
I recall a particular sequence of aerial footage from Manhattan, which coupled with the Philip Glass soundtrack, had the same weirdly nostalgic vibe.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Let me rephrase, inspired by Koyaanisqatsi.
I recall a particular sequence of aerial footage from Manhattan, which coupled with the Philip Glass soundtrack, had the same weirdly nostalgic vibe.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Great film. I once saw it with live accompaniment by the Philip Glass orchestra and choir.

Will

Strata Poster
I've rekindled my fondness for Sonata Arctica over the last couple of months - I usually end up digging both them and Nightwish out as soon as the weather runs cold. Tony Kakko's lyrics range from silly to preposterous, but for some reason they've always spoken to me. The only downside is that I think I can count their 'happy' songs on one hand...

...turns out shouting 'Eleven little littermates... ANIHILATE' is still as much fun as I remember it being :D

Reckoning Night and Ecliptica remain the best albums, if anyone's interested.

(There's an old CFer I used to discuss ridiculous lyrics with - and I've just read the lyrics to My Dream's But A Drop Of Fuel For A Nightmare, and seriously... wtf...?)

Will

Strata Poster
Me again :D

I've been rather self-indulgent today and listened to songs that mean something to me (ever seen the film High Fidelity?) Firstly, sticking with Sonata Arctica, I remember someone I shall refer to only as a Twat in a Hat commenting on Don't Say A Word - 'if you were a Disney villain, Will - this would be your villain song'. Personally, I identify more with Caleb but that was still a rare moment of perceptiveness on his part...

We all know that I'm a big fan of Gabrielle Aplin (pre-Dear Happy) when I'm not trying to deafen myself, but I played this track today for the first time in AGES and realised how fond I am of it. There's a lyric in there that reminds me of one of the better nights of my life - and another that reminds me of one of the worst...

This track reminds me of someone I thought had broken my heart when I was 14/15... I'd forgotten there was a version that features samples from The Shining, for some reason... (Hey Katy - how's being a therapist for people I imagine are a bit like my teenage self working out for you?)

I don't remember anything about the film, except it's very long and it rains frogs, but this track from the Magnolia soundtrack really speaks to me - to the point that her accent sounds like she sings 'I'm a Garner' at one point:

...then I had to do some work, switched back to metal as I had a PB of 8,000 keystrokes per hour to beat and remembered Amorphis exist. They're relatively unknown outside of Finland (though I've seen a few t-shirts at DT gigs) - anyway, I like these two tracks.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Bloody charity red-tape means very few people ever actually heard this, but...

(I will now proceed to get off my arse and do some 'real world' things...)

Will

Strata Poster
...so, as if I wasn't emotional enough this week, Amy Lee has decided to cover one of my favourite songs from my childhood

(Not that I knew what the hell 'Jaguar Days' meant then. Or now...)

Years ago, my friend had a very silly musical number in an equally silly play and it has an annoying tendency to play in my head when I'm trying to sleep. Especially poignant just at the moment.

solarfall

Mega Poster
I've been OBSESSED with this band ever since I caught their set at Levitation 2021 in Austin. Just really incredible post-punk/goth rock from Dallas area.

They dropped a new album on the 3rd too, if anyone is interested.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
In another desperate attempt to cling on to my youth, I've been revisiting my 20's lately and catching up on some of the bands that I've largely forgotten about for a decade (or two, cough!).
This week it's mostly been the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, or BRMC for short. Is it just me, or are your eyes somehow automatically drawn to the letters RMC in that abbreviation? That on it's own makes them officially cool, right?
Some cracking choons too, blues-y, grungy rock type stuff, very Zep' like.
Here's a trio that I particularly dig, mainly because they're relatively easy to drum to. (Yes, I play the drums too. Well... sort of.)

Last edited:

nadroJ

CF Legend
For my sins I finally caved and listed to MGK's pop punk album yesterday. If you like Blink 182 you'll like this.

Currently on repeat:

James F

Hyper Poster
I respect MGK for making pop punk for a younger generation (and doing very well sales wise) but I just can't get on board with how he acts like a complete pratt.

I've Discovered this band called "The Failsafe" it's very Linkin Park-y with a bit of Evenesence.

On the heavier side I have discovered this beautiful mess.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Will

Strata Poster
Pop-punk for the younger generation already existed - this is nothing new or groundbreaking, but has unfortunately found fame. I guess they can enjoy it while it lasts.

Paleface can go on the 'Jesus Christ, even *I* think that sounds like a horrible racket' list... though I might appreciate it more not at 8:30 on a Saturday morning :p
I'll remember to check out the other one though :)

James F

Hyper Poster
Pop-punk for the younger generation already existed - this is nothing new or groundbreaking, but has unfortunately found fame. I guess they can enjoy it while it lasts.

Paleface can go on the 'Jesus Christ, even *I* think that sounds like a horrible racket' list... though I might appreciate it more not at 8:30 on a Saturday morning
I'll remember to check out the other one though :)
Yeah it's definitely not for everyone . It's in my "heaviest music that I can enjoy" list.

I agree about MGK, but I think it would be a little hypocritical of me to complain about that as most of the newer less heavy bands I listen to are regurgitating pop punk and nu metal from the early 00s.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Indy

Hyper Poster
It's not exactly terribly new and the British members might roll their eyes, but I haven't been able to shake this song since it was released last summer. I still can't get enough of it, especially the live versions. I am a sucker for coming-of-age tales though. I wish Sam Fender would announce a North America tour.