What's new

Music Recommendations

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
The OG punk albums are great. Nevermind the Bollocks, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables and while it's a compilation the Buzzcocks "Singles Going Steady" is worth a mention.
Also worth a mention...
Entertainment! - Gang of Four
Can't Stand The Rezillos - The...err...Rezillos
Germ Free Adolescents - X Ray Spex
...and my absolute favourite from that period, from a band that would never release anything nearly as good again...
The Scream - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Will

Strata Poster
A couple more from me...
I'm told these guys are Greek and this track is what I'm going to dub 'Game of Thrones metal'. The brother found this for me and it nicely combines his love of NWOBHM with my fondness for slightly cheesy fantasy metal.

Meanwhile, a friend caused a bit of an argument with me lately by proclaiming 'nobody wants guitar solos anymore' and that these had been rendered obsolete in the wake of breakdowns and 'chonky riffs'. No.
Having said that, I'll admit this is growing on me. (It's not a patch on the first three albums though)

As for the new DT song, I don't think it reaches its peak until the last 3-4 minutes. Really intrigued to hear the rest of the album though.

solarfall

Roller Poster
^Cult of Luna is Swedish, you pleb (jk, mad respect for all those recs)

This is absolutely not the kind of music I normally seek out, but these guys are doing a set at a music festival I plan to go to, and hot DAMN I know a good pop song when I hear one. We don't deserve this bass. I seriously can't stop listening to this.

[Editing to avoid a double post. Pardon me, these two songs have nothing to do with each other]

I've been listening to Abbath's solo output a ton lately, and I gotta say, he blows Immortal (minus Abbath)'s output out of the water. Gods, this slaps.
FFO: Bathory, mid-career Immortal, Pop-Eye murmuring overtop of guitars

Last edited:

Pear

Strata Poster
This is absolutely not the kind of music I normally seek out, but these guys are doing a set at a music festival I plan to go to, and hot DAMN I know a good pop song when I hear one. We don't deserve this bass. I seriously can't stop listening to this.
These guys are great! Their debut album is coming October 8th and the 2 singles are incredible!

davidm

Strata Poster
I've probably gone on about Wax Fang a bit in the past to anyone who would listen. Anyway by the power of YouTube's algorithm it suggested to me today a not-at-all-recent (like ~13 years old) video of one of their live performances of perhaps their most popular track (which American Dad fans may recognise), so I let that play for me (very nice too).

Part way thru I realised that lead singer/guitarist chap was wearing a Vortex T-Shirt, suchagoon. :)

(they are from Louisville, so makes a bit of sense)

jayjay

Giga Poster
Not been on the forums for aaages. So here's some favs from the last couple of years.

Just Vulfpeck being their usual groovy selves

I spotted some Laura Marling on Peat's chart on the last page. The whole album is gorgeous

I jumped on board the Susanne Sundfør train when she was full on dance pop, but she writes a gorgeous spiritual ballad too

Jessie Ware's album is gold and the song slaps, but can we also talk about this music video. My gay little heart loves this guy

Lianne La Havas is an artist I never really noticed before but what a talent!

Finally, I might have got obsessed with Eurovision this year and I'm practicing my Ukrainian for karaoke