What's new

Music Recommendations

Pear

Strata Poster
This is absolutely not the kind of music I normally seek out, but these guys are doing a set at a music festival I plan to go to, and hot DAMN I know a good pop song when I hear one. We don't deserve this bass. I seriously can't stop listening to this.
These guys are great! Their debut album is coming October 8th and the 2 singles are incredible!

davidm

Strata Poster
I've probably gone on about Wax Fang a bit in the past to anyone who would listen. Anyway by the power of YouTube's algorithm it suggested to me today a not-at-all-recent (like ~13 years old) video of one of their live performances of perhaps their most popular track (which American Dad fans may recognise), so I let that play for me (very nice too).

Part way thru I realised that lead singer/guitarist chap was wearing a Vortex T-Shirt, suchagoon. :)

(they are from Louisville, so makes a bit of sense)

jayjay

Giga Poster
Not been on the forums for aaages. So here's some favs from the last couple of years.

Just Vulfpeck being their usual groovy selves

I spotted some Laura Marling on Peat's chart on the last page. The whole album is gorgeous

I jumped on board the Susanne Sundfør train when she was full on dance pop, but she writes a gorgeous spiritual ballad too

Jessie Ware's album is gold and the song slaps, but can we also talk about this music video. My gay little heart loves this guy

Lianne La Havas is an artist I never really noticed before but what a talent!

Finally, I might have got obsessed with Eurovision this year and I'm practicing my Ukrainian for karaoke

Pear

Strata Poster
I spotted some Laura Marling on Peat's chart on the last page. The whole album is gorgeous
It's such a warm and beautiful album! Definitely one I need to pick up on vinyl soon, it's a great rainy day listen!

Jessie Ware's album is gold and the song slaps, but can we also talk about this music video. My gay little heart loves this guy
LOVE this song and whole album! Remember Where You Are was one of, if not my favorite song of 2020 this whole album is a non stop disco banger! The deluxe version released this year is also incredible with Pale Blue Light once again being one of my fav songs of the year!

Lianne La Havas is an artist I never really noticed before but what a talent!
She's great! I love her cover of Radiohead's Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Will

Strata Poster
@nadroJ
Will: *attempts to sleep*
Will's Head: You won't ever grow up, you won't make it past six, 'cos this two foot tall demonic doll will make you his bitch...

nadroJ

CF Legend
@nadroJ
Will: *attempts to sleep*
Will's Head: You won't ever grow up, you won't make it past six, 'cos this two foot tall demonic doll will make you his bitch...

I laughed out loud the first time I heard those lyrics.

New album is sweet, not as good as Silver Scream imo but I want to give it a few more listens as I find most of their tracks to be growers. Currently Rainy Day is still my fav.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Mrs Howie is properly into these guys at the moment. Believe me, that would normally set alarm bells ringing furiously around here cos she's a bit of a weirdo my missus, but I'll be dawg gawn, I think she might be on to something here.
Ladies and genitalmen, here is 'You Are My Sunshine', yes, THAT 'You Are My Sunshine', by The Dead South.

A couple more that I like:

Will

Strata Poster
New album is sweet, not as good as Silver Scream imo but I want to give it a few more listens as I find most of their tracks to be growers. Currently Rainy Day is still my fav.
I'm actually swaying towards preferring Every Trick in the Book to Silver Scream at the moment - but A Grave Mistake is still my favourite track.

I've listened to the new album a fair few times in the car now, but not properly digested enough to have favourites. It's better than I was expecting after the couple of teaser tracks though. Again, I do hope they come to the UK at some point, as I feel like they'd be a lot of fun live.

On another note, I'd never clicked before that Ronnie Winter is obviously an alcoholic and suddenly the lyrics of a few of our old favourites make a lot more sense! I wish the newer stuff wasn't quite so preachy though.

Hell on Earth is still my favourite track on Maiden's new album, but I do keep catching myself walking around trying to sing the solo from The Time Machine :D

Will

Strata Poster
Now... I'm not claiming this band are musical geniuses by any stretch of the imagination.

But the lyrics AND instrumental break here have hit me 'right in the feels'.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Some I've had on rotation recently:

Really into Tonight Alive at the mo - particularly this cover. They remind me of a poppier version of A Skylit Drive. Their slightly higher pitch makes them really fun to scream along to if I'm driving.

For some reason I never really got into Don Broco, until now. They have a really standout bass line in pretty much all their songs and I love the lead singer's voice. Fun to dance to.

As above, I never really got into You Me At Six, even when they did The Swarm song! But I've had them on a bit more this month, in particular this song which I can't stop listening to. Just a really 'big' sounding pop punk song, great if you like that kind of thing. Which I do.

I feel like I slept on Enter Shikari for a decade after Take To The Skies and Common Dreads so I'm having great fun listening through their catalogue. The Mindsweep is a fantastic album, The Last Garrison is probably my second favourite song after Stop The Clocks.

You ever completely forget about a band then get back into them in a big way? That's me with Deaf Havana. Hardcore reminds me of the transition from high school to uni so extremely nostalgic for me to hear his voice again but cool to hear some songs I haven't listened to before.

James F

Hyper Poster
I have tried to get into Enter Shikari. I like the instrumental music, but I find the vocalist to be super obnoxious (in the way his vocals sound) and I don't care for their production either, Which is a shame because how popular they are and so many people love them.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

nadroJ

CF Legend
I have tried to get into Enter Shikari. I like the instrumental music, but I find the vocalist to be super obnoxious (in the way his vocals sound) and I don't care for their production either, Which is a shame because how popular they are and so many people love them.

I think the obnoxiousness is part of the fun, it's like punk music right?

James F

Hyper Poster
I guess so, but I think some of the music sounds like post hardcore and a little nu-metalish. I love those genres, but I am so used to them being American bands that a cockney voice is kind of jarring for me.

It's just a weird mindset I have.

*turns out they're not cockney.

Will

Strata Poster
No - I don't get Enter Shikari either - oddly I have a Facebook memory from this day ten years or so ago where I'm complaining about them.

You mentioned Bayside recently - I played a bit more today and decided they sounded like Alkaline Trio would if Alkaline Trio weren't **** - also reminded me a bit of Silverstein's Discovering The Waterfront album, which I'd have loved if I'd discovered it 5-10 years earlier!

I liked the Deaf Havana song you posted the other day as well, so may investigate more when I'm in one of *those* moods. 'Work' currently basically involves sitting with headphones in for 6 hours a day, so I'm open to experiments.

nadroJ

CF Legend
*turns out they're not cockney.

They're what I would call 'Cockney-adjacent' - they're from St.Albans which is essentially made up of 2nd/3rd Gen Cockneys who moved out of London to the 'countryside'. It's essentially where I grew up and how all my family sound (especially if we're shouting or angry) so I guess it's not as jarring for me!

@Will I find Silverstein a bit whiny for my taste but I'm always willing top investigate further. My friend Ashley loved Bayside when we were at Uni and I never really gave them a second glance until very recently!

Deaf Havana are excellent, I've very much enjoyed rediscovering them recently!

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Remember Bananarama?

Yeah, they were pretty terrible, if inexplicably popular. You'll hear better singing from a pissed up hen night at a karaoke bar.

Anyhoo, I was watching The Queen's Gambit recently and up popped what I thought was a cover version of their hit song Venus.

Turns out the Bananarama version is the cover. And the original is really rather decent.

(It helps somewhat that the singer is a drop-dead gorgeous kohl-eyed Dutch hippie chick).