What's new

Music Recommendations

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Yeah, Linkin Park's aim with Minutes to Midnight was to prove that the nu-metal tag they'd been labelled with wasn't quite worthy. It doesn't do that though, it just proves they can change their style of music fron nu-metal to something else more grown up and straight rock. The fact they had a rapper and a screamer just throws nu-metal cliches all over the shop.

Well, 3 weeks of thinking's brought lots of music stuff forming in my head...

Firstly, TAYLOR! I got a free Canadian music scene CD the other week, and there's some good stuff! Your country can do music!

Yeah, I got a free CD with NME, compiled by James Jam (their new music man), and I was quite impressed actually. There were a few bands/artists on there that caught my attention though. Metric were one, a female-fronted sort of punk-rockish band, maybe with a slightly generic sound for a female-fronted group, but at the same time there's a quirky element to the music rarely found in the punk-rock genre. Also rather ear-catching were a band called The Midway State; a more chilled out band with a bit of a piano-y element running through and some cracking lead vocals. Probably the most well-known (at least to me) band on the CD were a band called Tokyo Police Club, who have started to get some attention over here recently. That's quite possibly down to the fact thattheir music is quite similar to the sort of stuff that's gracing the British music scene at the moment. There's definitely elements of Franz Ferdinand and (sadly) The Cribs in there. Very catchy stuff though.

Another band i've had a bit of a whoring spell of recently, and not completely out of the blue, is Biffy Clyro. Ladies & Gentlemen, welcome to the British Isles' best kept secret. 4 albums in, and with a small but massively dedicated fanbase, the band with the world's best spoonerism as a band name (they found a Cliff Richard biro on the tour bus; Cliffy Biro = Biffy Clyro) actually finally seem to be getting a bit more widespread recognition. Their 4th full-length album 'Puzzle' is due out next week after a couple of weeks' delay, and only continues to follow the excellent formula they've had going on for the best part of 10 years now.

Their music's a tough one to classify, even more than normal, taking elements of punk rock and metal, and mashing it all together into one big rock melting pot complete with more quirks than i've ever heard in a band ever. I've been a bit of a passive fan of the band for the best part of their LP-making career, but never really looked further than the singles available to me on music channels etc. Until a couple of weeks ago anyway... I've managed to get my hands on all 3 albums, and had a full listen to their forthcoming LP too, and I honestly can't stop listening! From their early successes from Blackened Sky like '27' and '57', to the quirkiness of 2nd and 3rd albums The Vertigo of Bliss and Infinity Land, right through to the Scottish Nirvana-ness of tracks like Semi-Mental on their new album, its all just pieces in the ultimate rock band puzzle.

As mentioned, the band's not without their quirks either, and stylistically can change quite a lot across that discography. Early single 'Joy. Discovery. Invention' is a calm tune with random vocal harmonies thrown in every now and then, until half-way through when it heavies up a bit and becomes a proper rock track. Current single 'Living's A Problem Because Everything Dies' comes complete with a 90-second intro of nothing more than a completely random pattern of guitar stabs and percussion, with the odd bit of choral singing, before breaking out into the perfect guitar music. The 'Infinity Land' album is pretty much full of quirks all the way through, with the oddly named track combo of 'There's No Such Man As Crasp' and 'There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake' forming a partnership starting with a sparse vocal-based track sounding like a male version of Imogen Heap's 'Hide & Seek', breaking into one of the most random rock tracks ever, going from screamed, yelped vocals, to lovely soaring choruses.

Biffy are a band every single person needs to have listened to, whether you like them or not.

Lain

Giga Poster
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient.

Ziltoidtheomniscientcover.jpg

Progressive uber heavy metal concept album.

It is sublime, buy it now.

Almost

Hyper Poster
Thursday.

Pick up any of their CD's (IMO Full Collapse is the best) and you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

Cover60x60.jpg

s82154.jpg

e68044sz4zk.jpg

thursdayband.jpg

peep

CF Legend
Rob I've only recently found out about Biffy Clyro due to Xfm playing their latest tune to death (can't remember the name of it). I have to say it is awesome and after reading your small piece on them I might investigate further. They are definatly different from what I've heard so far and I just can't wait to hear it played again after I hear it.

A band I now have grown further of, due to purchase of album, is the Klaxons. I think this band are absolutely awesome and I really can't stress how much I love this album, I don't think there is one bad track on there. The best tunes being Atlantis to interzone, Golden skans, Gravity's rainbow and It's not over yet.

One band I really want the album of, even though its been out for a while is Enter Shikari. This band is absolutely indescribeable. They have like a techno type style with a mix of rock/heavy rock and metal. Its absolutely mental but really cool too.

Jer

Strata Poster
If you want a great CD look no further than Queens of The Stone Ages new Album Era Vulgaris!

The trippy stylings and true rock feeling of QOTSA are definatly back and noticable in this CD. The songs are very weird each in they're own way. Sick Sick Sick their single out now is a fast, heavy song, and featured Julian Casablancas from The Strokes. With Sick Sick Sick some other songs are more laid back and as wikipedia called them "Psycadelic". Make It Wit Chu, Turnin' on the Screw, and I'm a Designer definatly have that feel the them. If you want a good CD that does'nt get old you must listen to Era Vulgaris, coming out June 6th 2007!

It likes they were High alone when they made the album cover:
qotsaeravulgarispg2.jpg

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Peep said:
Rob I've only recently found out about Biffy Clyro due to Xfm playing their latest tune to death (can't remember the name of it). I have to say it is awesome and after reading your small piece on them I might investigate further. They are definatly different from what I've heard so far and I just can't wait to hear it played again after I hear it.

Yeah, there's been a lot of play of both 'Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies' the current single, and the last one 'Saturday Superhouse' too. They're both quite standard Biffy tunes, if a little on the more radio-friendly side. If you like them though, definitely investigate more, do it!

As for Enter Shikari, have a listen to the album definitely, even if just to actually take in the whole melding of trance & hardcore. I've still not decided whether I like it or not, but i've put most of the album near the top of my most-played trying to decide...

Homer

Hyper Poster
Man, I need new music. Anything that is alternative rock (like Incubus), punk (some pop-punk is acceptable), and ska-punk would be great.

There is a few albums I have been meaning to download.

1. Has anybody downloaded [adult swim]'s new album Warm & Scratchy. Its basically a compilation of indie rock bands that is a free download on their website. I wonder if there are any reviews out on this album?

2. Dare I say it, I've gotten a tiny craving for Fall Out Boy and Linkin Park. Are any of their new albums good? Before, I've always hated the emo/screamo thing, but I'm willing to give them a try.

kir

Hyper Poster
OH MY GOODNESS!

<object><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>

EVE - TAMBOURINE

Yummmmmmmmmm, everything about this song is hot. Next to Rihanna's Umbrella it's the best and most original song from a female artist to hit the R&B/Hip Hop laydee this year.

tks

Strata Poster
Kanye West - Stronger

kanye-air-force-ones.jpg

^Mr West in action.

His first song off the new album Graduation (August 2007). It samples Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" as the main backing beat and it works SO well. I'm waiting for this new album with baited breath and this first song is just fantastic.

Work It Harder, Make It Better, Do It Faster, Makes Us Stronger!

Daft Punk - "Harder Better Faster Stronger" originally sampled Edwin Birdsong - "Cola Bottle Baby".

You can find downloads of a radio-rip all over the internet or on youtube. The rip has has lame-ass Mark Ronson drops in it though... *sigh* I want real thing!

Karen

Hyper Poster
Brought 30 seconds to Mars new album A Beautiful Lie and its very very addictive. Hope they are just as good live this weekend.

Hey Almost I was considering getting a Thursday CD as they were great live when they played with MCR so I may take your advice there thank you xxx

Echoes

Mega Poster
Bloc Party's latest album A weekend in the city is awesome, really brilliant. Very indie, college rock, though not as much as their first album, Silent Alarm. The lyrics are deep, the melodies are catchy, though not in a poppy kind of way. It's definitely Bloc Party grown up. It's a bit obscure, but it may be my favorite album. Ever.

Echoes

Mega Poster
Oh or Angels & Airwaves' album, We Don't Need to Whisper. Maybe not quite as as Bloc Party's second album, but still fantastic. Tom Delonge's voice and brilliant songwriting shine through on every song, and you can really see he's grown up from the Blink days. Like Bloc, the lyrics are clever and deep, and the melodies, mixed with some electronic effects, come together almost flawlessly to make some fantastic songs, particularly The Gift, A Little's Enough, and The Adventure

[You forgot Tom Delonge's massive ego and god-complex :p - Rob]

Bitter

Mega Poster
Well the new White Stripes album is out on monday, but it leaked a while ago so you can download it already, as in not legally. Having seen them live yesterday the new stuff i've heard is awesome, and the albums definately going to be a must have for fans of the Stripes and people interested.

As mentioned by someone on page 4 too the new QOTSA album came out on monday and is pretty darn sexy, and well worth a listen, which you can do for free on their website: http://www.qotsa.com

Oh and just to reiterate from a while ago, i've been listening to it alot more since i bought it, and come to the conclusion that the new Kings of Leon album is FANTASTIC, definately buy it if you're into ... music?

Lain

Giga Poster
I got the new Dream Theater album today. It's very good.

Not their best work, but it's good fun, with some kick-arse tracks.

Go buy it now you slags.

Richie

Hyper Poster
51OOifD5biL._AA240_.jpg

The Twang - Love It When I Feel Like This

51HDCPAKYYL._AA240_.jpg

Hellogoodbye - Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!

41zmzjjnqiL._AA240_.jpg

Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad

51M260MPDHL._AA240_.jpg

Gossip - Standing In The Way of Control

51mvHYpquEL._AA240_.jpg

Timbaland - Timbaland Presents Shock Value

post-338996-1127953168.jpg

Toy-Box - Fantastic

kir

Hyper Poster
Brandy is a big Coldplay fan and for her Afrodisiac album she sampled one of their songs, there's a piano loop throughout... Don't ask me which song it is, I'm not a fan, but it's one of their really famous ones.

"Should I Go" is about the importance and revelance of the music industry in the modern days, it's really haunting. Especially her references to Aaliyah.

Have a look, it's really, strange!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7PLIijRo48

And next up is Rihanna...

What a load of shít! Her new song "Shut Up And Drive" is awful. She's trying to be a rock chick or something. It's destined to flop IMO.

Have a look;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bmuz ... eo-premier

I can't even bear to watch the whole video, the song is awful. And after such a great song as Umbrella. :cry:

Richie

Hyper Poster
^ I used to hate Shut Up And Drive too. It's grown on me, but god knows why she released that song next. Why not bring out Push Up On Me or Breakin' Dishes?! They're clearly the best songs on the album.

Rihanna in Shup Up And Drive said:
0-60 in 3.5
Hahaha Rita owns that <3.

Anyway a few more recommendations.

Shítdisco - Kingdom Of Fear

This album is absolutely awesome! I especially love Another, Reactor Party, 72 Virgins, OK and Fear Of The Future.

The Maccabees - Colour It In

I haven't got chance to listen to it properly yet, but I love it so far.