What's new

Luna Park Coney Island | Thunderbolt | Zamperla

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
So went back to Coney Island first thing this morning and sat around from 8am-11am waiting for them to test before I had to leave to cover the USA-Turkey game. So of course this happened after I left.

Mr. Zamperla, Alessandro (Operations Manager) and an engineer took a ride.
1524680_10152522295546062_7657274067316706160_n.jpg

10255774_10152516947621062_271816712343887460_o.jpg

From the park's Facebook page

Heading back tomorrow to for another try to film the damn thing testing.

bmac

Giga Poster
Still no verdict on an opening? Doesn't look like I'll be able to make this weekend if that's indeed the opening date cause my schedule is bloody swamped.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Spent another day at the park yesterday without any testing. Don't know if I can make it back today yet or not, but will go tomorrow if I can't this afternoon/evening.
Here's a couple more photos that I got to take inside the perimeter fencing.

10155828_10152112925483639_4234872267152289329_n.jpg

10434312_10152112925563639_690519510956991908_n.jpg

Those dark spots on the trusses near the top of the dive loop are sensors.

bmac

Giga Poster
I'm guessing that's apart of their blocking system so the computer won't allow a train to be dispatched until the train is guaranteed to get to the blocks before the other train makes it to the top of the lift.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
bmac said:
I'm guessing that's apart of their blocking system so the computer won't allow a train to be dispatched until the train is guaranteed to get to the blocks before the other train makes it to the top of the lift.
Would make sense as that inversion is the last 'high point' of the ride.

Dapalm

Mega Poster
Yeah, and keeping in mind the pacing on the last hills doesn't seem that it is going to stall in the way back to the station. BTW, thanks foe the pictures ECG.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Form my experience with blocking systems, I doubt that it will be a block sensor, as it isn't a control point. AKA: The train cannot be stopped there, and then proceed to complete the course. More likely it's a speed sensor.

bmac

Giga Poster
rollermonkey said:
Form my experience with blocking systems, I doubt that it will be a block sensor, as it isn't a control point. AKA: The train cannot be stopped there, and then proceed to complete the course. More likely it's a speed sensor.

I don't mean as a block sensor. I mean as a point where the next train can be dispatched up the lift and not have to worry about making it to the top without the block being cleared and having to use that really weird rollback system. El Toro has something similar to this with its blocking system especially because it's lift is so freaking weird, mainly just so that the operator knows the trains can keep cycling without stopping at any point besides the station. The computer is programmed to allow the train to dispatch anyways, since it can just stop at the base of the lift. If it was programmed not to dispatch until the lift carriage is in the 'home' position, it'd either not allow the train to dispatch or in typical Intamin fashion throw a trouble light and shut the ride down.

BBH

Giga Poster
It may very well just be a placement sensor so that the operator's screen can monitor where the ride is, although its larger size may also lead towards a suggested blocking indicator.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If this doesn't open when I'm in the states, expect to see photos of me throwing a tantrum, pointing at it and crying.

bmac

Giga Poster
Ian said:
If this doesn't open when I'm in the states, expect to see photos of me throwing a tantrum, pointing at it and crying.

There's no way I can do it this weekend, but I'm off next :D

Gazza

Giga Poster
bmac said:
Oh geeze that Dive Loop looks so freaking wonky it isn't funny...

...and I love it!
Reminds me a bit of half of that pretzel knot on Flug der Damonen.