What's new

Luna Park Coney Island | Thunderbolt | Zamperla

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
There were earlier rumours that the old classic Thunderbolt wooden coaster that used to be at Coney Island might be getting reconstructed. However, it now seems that Zamperla will be building an entirely new steel coaster, retaining the traditional name.

The coaster will start with a vertical lift and vertical drop, followed by a loop and other inversions, before returning back to the station via a series of airtime hills.

k-bigpic.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Full details and pictures from:

http://gizmodo.com/coney-island-is-resurrecting-a-legendary-coaster-with-512622154

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Re: Thunderbolt - New Coaster for Coney Island

About time Zamperla makes an interesting big coaster.

I really hope it works out well, as it looks really cool.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Next summer Coney Island is getting back a little bit of its former glory with a familiar roller coaster. Some 14 years after it was demolished, the once famous Thunderbolt coaster is roaring back onto the boardwalk at 65 miles per hour.
Errr... Not sure this is really a resurrection. It's just a new coaster with the same name.

It does look OK, and it certainly won't be a bad addition, but it shares nothing in common with the old ride...

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

I was discussing it earlier and we came to an agreement that it looks like a beginner No Limit's user's first attempt at a Euro-Fighter.

Could be interesting though

Snoo

The Legend

It looks.. well ok. That lift is going to be a nightmare tho.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

^Yeah, the first renders I saw had the "normal" vertical lift. That new rotating tower/dual-elevator thing is just asking for trouble.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Looks like it has quite a small footprint. Quite a large vertical section of the drop too.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

As weird as this sounds, it feels like a very traditional coaster to me. Something like this would be great for Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

For anyone wondering, RollerMonkey and Marcus are talking about this video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQ7_alwZM4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Thanks Joey, I was wondering what all this rotating lift business was about. Looks to be an interesting gimmick, if as people say, it doesn't break down every five minutes.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^^ Just quickly edited your post to embed the video.

Shockingly bad animation to be honest. Not that it matters when it comes to the actual ride, but there's **** all else to talk about at the moment.

Hutch

Strata Poster

That's probably the weirdest/coolest lift hill I have ever seen.

Snoo

The Legend

I'm wondering which is the true ride.. as I can't find anything specific from Luna. I might be blind however.

Ben

CF Legend

Um, this is going to be terrible.

Zamperla? I'd rather die.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Snoo said:
I'm wondering which is the true ride.. as I can't find anything specific from Luna. I might be blind however.

It appears the video is from Luna Park so I'd run with that but still not sure it's 100% official.

Jer

Strata Poster

I dont see how this is a return of the Thunderbolt, this is nothing like the original.

Also that animation was **** terrible.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Thunderbolt | Coney Island | Zamperla

Zamperla have this scale model with a vertical drop on display at IAAPA.

BZdaKKkIIAAQ4ed.jpg:large

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4eJm0T62A0[/youtube]

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

I don't know. The only major change I see is a vertical lift now vs. that twisting/rotating elevator lift it had before.

Lofty

CF Legend

I actually like the look of this coaster to be honest. I don't know why, it's like Zamoerla's take on a Eurofighter.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.