What's new

Kony 2012 (Spread the word)

Pierre

Strata Poster
This has **** pissed me off all day because everyones been banging on about it both on my social network feeds and at work.

There are a million and one bad things going on in the world and 99% of the **** who retweeted that link or posted it to their facebook wall will have probably had a thought shortly after that something along the lines of "what shall I have for tea?" or "when is corrie on?" - you don't give a **** damn stop pretending you do. Retweeting and Facebook posting does not make you a higher being so get off your **** high horse.

People are telling me its helping to "raise awareness" - maybe no one knows because no one gives a **** damn in the first place? And if we were to raise awareness for all the terrible **** that went on the world there'll be no space on my news feeds to see what people actually did have for tea, or what happened in corrie. There'll be no time for anything at all in fact apart from trying to put the whole bastard Earth back to rights, which to be honest would be a waste of a lifetime - we're never going to have a perfect world and there will be **** born into it everyday - get **** used to it.

I swear I'm going to come across a right snob here but I genuinely feel worried about the average IQ of the global population (or at least the ones who have access to the internet) because people are too easily bought into propaganda and scams these days. Just like that letter going around at the moment comparing a British O.A.P's income to an 'immigrants' income - it is doing nothing other than stirring racial hatred yet at least 50% of my Facebook friends are 'outraged' at it.

If you want to make a difference and feel good about yourself, go and support something you actually give a damn about, not something the **** internet tells you to.

Mugs.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Wait, so you're telling me that by watching the first two minutes of that half hour video and reposting it on Facebook with a sad face, I haven't actually overthrown a Ugandan warlord?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This Koney guy should be sent to some kind of island.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Don't be stealing my Facebook jokes Gavin! =p

I watched the whole video, the dad and his kid are VILE. And the kid is called Gavin. This is just some kind of conspiracy surely?

Smithy

Strata Poster
Ethan said:
Ok well i'm the only one that thinks this KONY guy needs to be known about!

I'm sure now you've shared the video with Mum and Dad and cousin Janet and Dave from the internet that something will be done.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Its just going to become a case of "Now what?" Everyone knows, we've all given our money and now what? He's off to start a war against evil? Which will go so smoothly, especially if the US gets involved. They are always great at killing the bad guys and leaving the war torn country behind.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ethan said:
Ok well i'm the only one that thinks this KONY guy needs to be known about!
Wrong. No-one here is saying that Kony doesn't need to be stopped, we're just saying that the KONY2012 campaign isn't going to do it.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I heard that all the kidnapped kids are held in a theme park as a means of keeping them placated (Think like Pleasure Island from Pinocchio) and the place is called Kony Island.

kimahri

CF Legend
^ Already done. I think all this thread needs Toilet Paper Richard to give us his infinate wisdom and thus smite down the evil Pedobear incarnate and deliver us to salvation! Our Saviour!!!!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Every time I read this topic, I think it's some kind of clever advertising for a new kind of thing to spread on your bread or toast. Instead it's all about a petty dictator trying to make his mark in the same way the big boys (Hitler, Stalin, et al) have in the past. Instead, it turns out he's just a little bit nutty, a nutella if you like...

This actually came up in conversation in household-of_furie last night. Madame_Furie said "I've not posted about it because I'm not a sheep". Minor_Furie said "I've not posted about it because I'm not an idiot". There's a lot of bad goes on in the world, there are more children kidnapped and sold as sex slaves by organised crimes than this guy has ever used - why aren't people putting money into anti-Russian-mafia campaigns? It's easy to make a single person a villain and to jump on the "if you dislike this, you're a heartless bastard" bandwagon. The truth is, it's just not our problem and "knowledge" won't make any difference, money won't make any difference even. The only thing that will make a difference is a crack team of soldiers shooting the guy through the head in his sleep and that's not going to happen.

Care about it if you must, but please don't stop there... Care about all the other evils and unfairness the world contains and then come and see me when you get out of the sanatorium with your plans for solving the world's problems. I won't be there mind. After paying to keep everyone in mental care for years, I'll be broke and the economy will have failed and we'll be selling our own kids to try and pay for bread. Then you go off and have a cry for me too.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Pierre said:
If you want to make a difference and feel good about yourself, go and support something you actually give a damn about, not something the **** internet tells you to.

Kind of undermined your own argument with that one, Pierre ;)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
This actually came up in conversation in household-of_furie last night. Madame_Furie said "I've not posted about it because I'm not a sheep". Minor_Furie said "I've not posted about it because I'm not an idiot".
But what about maxi-Minor_furie's opinion? That'll be the most enlightening.

I take the piss because that's exactly what I think of this. I tend to ignore any campaigns irrelevant to me (Children in Need, Comic Relief, Help for "Heroes" and so on). The only ones I care about are those close to home (Royal British Legion, Diabetes UK, Cancer Research UK). Selfish I know but I'm not superhuman; if it doesn't affect me, I'm not going to waste time pretending to be concerned about it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
furie said:
This actually came up in conversation in household-of_furie last night. Madame_Furie said "I've not posted about it because I'm not a sheep". Minor_Furie said "I've not posted about it because I'm not an idiot".
But what about maxi-Minor_furie's opinion? That'll be the most enlightening.

Probably that we should post about it all over social networking and give money to help. But he's six so gullibility is to be expected but not exploited ;)

Ian said:
I take the piss because that's exactly what I think of this. I tend to ignore any campaigns irrelevant to me (Children in Need, Comic Relief, Help for "Heroes" and so on). The only ones I care about are those close to home (Royal British Legion, Diabetes UK, Cancer Research UK). Selfish I know but I'm not superhuman; if it doesn't affect me, I'm not going to waste time pretending to be concerned about it.

I was being flippant before but this, exactly. I give to charities that I feel deserve it from a personal view. I'm not hard-hearted and unsympathetic to the woes of the world, but (as I vaguely insinuated) there is simply too much suffering in the world to actually, really care. Jesus said "love thy neighbour as thyself"* - if everyone did that and looked out for somebody close, and they looked out for somebody close - all around the world, then it would be a better place. However, people are selfish and insular - it's easier to "care" about children on the other side of the world than it is to care about those maybe three doors away who are abused or neglected. Sorry, rant over :lol:

*I'm atheist and generally disagree with religion, but that doesn't mean it's all wrong. There are still some good and utterly unrealistic ideologies in there :)

Pierre

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
Pierre said:

Kind of undermined your own argument with that one, Pierre ;)

Contradicted? And not really, that's just you taking things too literally to try and get a 'funny' post in. Get back to perving on your housemate having sex and commentating to the whole world about it.

kimahri

CF Legend
*I'm atheist and generally disagree with religion, but that doesn't mean it's all wrong. There are still some good and utterly unrealistic ideologies in there :)

GIANT PENIS MONSTERS!!!

Martyn

Giga Poster
TWHpV.png

Genius.