What's new

Kony 2012 (Spread the word)

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I came across this video on facebook and I truly believe it needs to be shared. EVERYONE should agree this should not be allowed to happen any longer and to let it have gone this long is a sad testament that the things we worry about truly are minuscule compared to what some people have to deal with.

Here's the video. I'll warn you now it's about 30 minutes, but I truly hope you find the time to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Help Spread the word.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Its an interesting concept, but not the biggest problem in Africa. The Congo War has claimed over 5.4 million peoples lives since 1998 compared to the 66,000 people Kony has killed over 20 years. That number of people will die in 4 days in Africa from starvation alone.

Yes, he deserves to be caught and tried for War Crimes but the Documentary left a few things out. For one it stats that Kony has no motive and that isn't true. He is trying to establish a theocratic Government (not that it makes it better) and also that the kids he is kidnapping are so drugged up on cocaine that they are probably not all going to return home peacefully. To capture him the army is most likely going to face the kids with the guns before they face him. If they want to capture him and save the kids they are going to have to approach it from a persecutive of non-violence. Try buying him off.

Also please note that his organization is not 100% nonprofit. He makes a living off of this. The website is run through a company that makes money from petitions and donation. From every donation 5.2% goes into paying for the website and from every product purchased $0.30 is added to that. And thats just to the service provider his TRI cause takes a cut as well to make the product (hopefully done responsible and not with child labour). TRI has agreed to these terms: http://www.stayclassy.org/terms

I feel like this movement is becoming too much of a fad and isn't actually going to help the 30,000 kids that Kony has in his army. I still signed his petition because I believe that stopping him will help stop future abductions, but its a viral video and isn't the best cause i'd be giving my money too.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^There are definitely other issues in Africa and I'm not saying you have to donate money, but just spreading the word helps the cause and these are crimes that IMHO are on par with those of Hitler/Himmler and the Nazi regime.

Awareness is always the first step

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
Its an interesting concept, but not the biggest problem in Africa. The Congo War has claimed over 5.4 million peoples lives since 1998 compared to the 66,000 people Kony has killed over 20 years. That number of people will die in 4 days in Africa from starvation alone.

Yes, he deserves to be caught and tried for War Crimes but the Documentary left a few things out. For one it stats that Kony has no motive and that isn't true. He is trying to establish a theocratic Government (not that it makes it better) and also that the kids he is kidnapping are so drugged up on cocaine that they are probably not all going to return home peacefully. To capture him the army is most likely going to face the kids with the guns before they face him. If they want to capture him and save the kids they are going to have to approach it from a persecutive of non-violence. Try buying him off.

Also please note that his organization is not 100% nonprofit. He makes a living off of this. The website is run through a company that makes money from petitions and donation. From every donation 5.2% goes into paying for the website and from every product purchased $0.30 is added to that. And thats just to the service provider his TRI cause takes a cut as well to make the product (hopefully done responsible and not with child labour). TRI has agreed to these terms: http://www.stayclassy.org/terms

I feel like this movement is becoming too much of a fad and isn't actually going to help the 30,000 kids that Kony has in his army. I still signed his petition because I believe that stopping him will help stop future abductions, but its a viral video and isn't the best cause i'd be giving my money too.

This.

I watched it yesterday, felt shocked, felt I needed to do something but then decided to sleep it off.

Woke up today and realised:

1) It's a very powerfully, very professionally made documentary. Well done to them.
2) It's propaganda. I hate propaganda. If anything, the film is a propaganda film made about the problems of propaganda. It's illogical.
3) The money issues were playing on my mind too, so thanks Venom for pointing them out clearer. If it were truly not-for-profit, then it would get at least some of my attention.
4) I doubt such a campaign will result in any arrest of this man.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
That was definitely not the sort of responses I thought would show up but Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Spot on.

Entire campaign and the ensuring results is just a by-product of a younger, social media savvy society who seem to think throwing out a Retweet or printing out a poster is enough for them to feel as if they've ''done their bit''. The article linked above debunks nigh on everything about the people behind the video, and whilst the topic itself (Kony being a scrote) is a fair one, the reaction to it and the responses are just typical of "I want people to see that I'm involved".

Where were these people, or where are these people making fancy videos and throwing out RT's whenever Assad decides the people of Syria could do with eating some tank shells.

Ben

CF Legend
Youngster Joey said:
these are crimes that IMHO are on par with those of Hitler/Himmler and the Nazi regime.

Woooosh.

That's the sound of your credibility flying out the window.

kimahri

CF Legend
So yeah, here's my take on all this. was reading this up on the wikipedia's instead of working.

I really don't give a **** about these kids, not a single one! But the actual Joseph Kony guy him self is just strangly fascinating, the way he is is nearly exactly as the Law alignenment in Megaten. Almost with the included arseyness of it, the stolen kids kinda throw it off.

Am I going to do anything about it? No, cba.

Edit!: Inb4 TP Rich has a crying fit.

peep

CF Legend
Yeah, tbh if the guy that made the video cared so much he would have done what the guy that inspired the film Machine Gun Preacher would have done. That guy really took it upon himself to do something, no use of social media, he just raised some money from his local community and then went out there (well Sudan, but it's still the same issue) and actually built a bloody sanctuary for these kids. He is the sort of guy we should all be getting behind, someone who has actually gone out there and fought to give these kids the sort of live they should and help protect them from evil. He definitely doesn't make a profit, all the money he takes in goes towards improving the facilities for these kids and towards their protection.

If you haven't seen the film Machine gun preacher then you probably should (it's really good) and for more info Clicky here

Oh btw I'm not really big on getting involved with these sort of things but I just feel that if they are going to get involved then people should be getting behind the people that actually get stuff done.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Where did this documentary suddenly explode out of? I can't go anywhere on the internet without having it rubbed in my face. It's like those annoying people on high streets who try to get you to sign up to charities <///3.

Yes it's awful, yes it should be stopped, but there's evil and human atrocities a LOT closer to home that I'm more concerned about to be honest.

Probably some wealthy privileged white kids trying to show how awesome they are for caring about the third world </3.

Smithy

Strata Poster
And charge you £30 for a 'Stop Kony' kit which is basically a poster and a string bracelet.

Actually depressing that so many people watch a propaganda video and wilfully buy into it, is Syria just a **** mirage to them? owait, it wasn't trending and it doesn't have a pretty video to send around.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
While I don't believe what Kony is doing is right, I'm not sold on the whole ordeal. I still need to decide on what I think on the whole money issue and if the end product is worth it.

At the same time, I'm actually impressed with how our world is changing. I do believe that social media is changing how our world is governed. While simply clicking a button doesn't do anything direct, it does spread the word on an issue. Social media does make it pretty obvious for politicians to see what the people want

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Youngster Joey said:
these are crimes that IMHO are on par with those of Hitler/Himmler and the Nazi regime.

Woooosh.

That's the sound of your credibility flying out the window.

I've lost more family members in the holocaust than i can count on both hands and both feet. I've spent many dozens of hours doing research on the holocaust I and came to my own conclusion. Whether you agree or not is up to you but calling out my credibility is another thing

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I never said it was worse. I said it was close to being on par. It is not as bad as the holocaust however in my mind it's not far behind as this is happening to children and whenever children are involved it seems worse to me.

Ben

CF Legend
Youngster Joey said:
I never said it was worse. I said it was close to being on par. It is not as bad as the holocaust however in my mind it's not far behind as this is happening to children and whenever children are involved it seems worse to me.

And Hitler was well known for sparing children.

**** knows what Anne Frank was worried about, they only wanted to give her cookies!