What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

Re: Kings Island | "Banshee" | Mahoossive B&M Invert

killrnut said:
Nobody should be disappointed in this, unless you just plain don't like inverts.

I'm disappointed. Not do to the ride type, or the layout. There's just something that leaves me longing. It might be the restraints, bit I suspect my disappointment will vanish when I ride it.

Re: Kings Island | "Banshee" | Moohassive B&M Invert

Hyde244 said:
As to my "predictions" on what was right and wrong:

- B&M Invert
[strike]- Tallest B&M invert[/strike] (Tallest Cedar Fair B&M invert possibly?)
[strike]- Most inversions in North America[/strike] (Tied at 7 with most inversions)
- Track color will be purple (Sadly no light teal though)
Correction: Trains are light teal - bonus points! :beer:

Going by OzIris, that first drop in the back row is going to be incredible!

This looks really good, up until after the second loop, then it just like dies flat, with a boring inline.

Re: Kings Island | "Banshee" | Moohassive B&M Invert

Hyde244 said:
One thing that has always stuck out in my mind from our Ouimet interview was applying certain aspects of Gatekeeper to other projects. While I don't think KD would be due for a wing coaster (honestly, an invert would fit well there too), I definitely could envision another Cedar Fair park receiving a redone entrance featuring a new roller coaster.

It's never ever ever gonna happen, but I can't think of a better candidate than Worlds of Fun.

• they're due for a coaster (or SOMETHING, god)
  • the entrance plaza is ok, but there's no visual focus and it's all just lightly-used dining and retail
  • Scandinavia has basically no interesting attractions other than Viking Voyager
  • Orient Express's lot is still vacant = huuuuge potential for yummy terrain elements
  • potential for interaction not just with the entrance plaza but with the entire path between there and the parking lot

Obviously they won't get an invert and I don't really see a wing coaster there (yet), but ohhh my god a launched terrain coaster + new entrance plaza would make me wet myself.

10 PM Ride Announcement is now posted to the CoasterForce Youtube channel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXKKK_yks-g[/youtube]

I will say - as far as ride announcements go - this one was pretty well done. While 10 PM meant a late night for me to commute from Columbus, Ohio (1 1/2 hours), it did create an atmosphere that can't be achieved in the middle of the day. (Read as Lots of Fog)

This was also the largest crowd I have seen for a ride announcement - nearly all of the Action Zone was full of spectators. In comparison, Diamondback's announcement was held on the site of its queue, with a small gathering. Even Cedar Point's announcement of Gatekeeper last year saw a smaller showing than Banshee.

That video makes me sad I wasn't there! :( At least it gets to be the first coaster I drive to ride next year! If all goes well at Dollywood (which should considering I'm just credit hogging Sideshow Spin) and Busch Gardens Tampa this season, this'll also be my 80th credit!

LONG BORING POST ALERT, HERE'S A SUMMARY OF WHAT I THINK:
*If Cedar Fair has success with this invert, they might be able to pull something similar off at Valleyfair and Kings Dominion
*If Banshee isn't as successful as GateKeeper, Cedar Fair could go back to wing coasters and put one called The Bat at Kings Island. Vortex isn't as popular as it once was and a wing coaster would be a good replacement, especially if called The Bat since it would be on the site of the original Bat.
*The announcement said that Banshee was part of a line of rides being used to clean up aging areas of the park (Diamondback cleaned up Rivertown, Windseeker cleaned up Coney Mall, ect.) so with that the only two areas of the park that haven't been recently renovated are International Street (new turnstile building) and Oktoberfest.

I think that if this one does well we could see another one of these inverts go up at Valleyfair (I feel like that park REALLY needs a new coaster) and possibly Kings Dominion (true, they get Volcano but as great as a ride as it is it really doesn't feel like it fully fills the role of an inverted coaster, I see it more as the park's launched coaster alongside Flight of Fear and Backlot) and then maybe they'll start putting more wing coasters up. Carowinds, CGA, Knotts, and Canada's Wonderland all feel like parks that could nicely pull off Gatekeeper-esque wing coasters, although maybe not ones that fly over the entrances. For instance, I personally like the deep south architecture on the Carowinds entrance and I don't want to see them mess with it.

In regards to the future of just Kings Island, I was thinking the other night while trying to fall asleep, could Vortex's station be converted into a wing coaster station? It already has a queue that crosses over the track. With a little modification, I could potentially see a wing coaster station in there. Only big issue I can think of is the length of those massive trains. But aside from the station, Vortex was all the rage when I was younger but now I feel like nobody likes it. In middle school for me (when I was still GP), I remember that the rides you couldn't miss if you went were Son of Beast, Firehawk, and Vortex. But just last time we went, Vortex barely had a wait and felt pretty much forgotten. As nice as it looks from around the park, I do feel like it's coming close to being on the chopping block. And what a better replacement than a wing coaster in the same spot called The Bat on the same plot of land originally occupied by the original The Bat? Wing coasters are close enough to inverts that they can fill their role if needed, but different enough that it would be okay to have both at the same park, and I could see a wing coaster looking very nice in that spot. They're obviously aware that they have the ability to do this as seen from all the false leads and having two spooky-themed coasters (Beast and Bat) right next to each other would be great.

If they don't do this, then I bet they do something with the park's Oktoberfest area. Maybe give Adventure Express's special effects some TLC (I can understand Cedar Fair not wanting to spend money building and designing theming, but with Ouimet's Disney background I see no reason why he wouldn't want to fix it up a bit) and maybe refer to my idea from earlier and tear down Sling Shot and expand Oktoberfest back into the undeveloped land, maybe building a path between Banshee and Adventure Express. Of course, they should also fix the existing Oktoberfest up a bit, maybe justify doing it by putting a flat ride (a Gerstlauer Sky Fly or Barnstormer-scale S&S Screamin' Swing would work well for this) beside that path behind Delirium on the pond opposite of Viking's Fury) in? What Bavarian theming still survives there to this day is beautiful and if Banshee's placemaking is as well themed as it appears to be then I think putting the same amount of effort into this aging section of the park could end up working out nicely. In that video they mentioned that they got to clean up a lot of the park with new attractions (Windseeker and Dinosaurs cleaned up Coney Mall, Diamondback cleaned up Rivertown, Banshee is cleaning up Action Zone, Soak City conversion cleaned up the waterpark in 2012) and after factoring in the Planet Snoopy conversion, I looked at the map and marked off all the areas they had yet to renovate with a new attraction and ended up with International Street/entrance, X-Base, and Oktoberfest. X-Base I marked off since it's so small and they recently got Firehawk even though it wasn't spoken about, so that leaves Oktoberfest and International Street. I already mentioned what potential I think Oktoberfest has, but International Street, while it isn't aging as much as Oktoberfest, could definitely use a bit of a facelift for some of the storefronts and definitely a new turnstile building.

Holy crap I'm getting off topic!

Back to the present, I do want to see what they do with cattelpens on Banshee. The rendering probably didn't show them for a reason, which worries me. I'm scared they'll be like Firehawk's or Diamondback's where there's little to no shade or theming. While I'm not saying that they have to build a giant gothic cathedral with air conditioning and music and a preshow, just something that looks sort of nice like GateKeeper's with the awnings and view of the beach would be nice. Maybe play some eerie music and build a wrought iron pergola over the cattlepen and plant some vines that could climb it. It doesn't seem too extreme for Cedar Fair and would provide some much-needed shade.

And I'll probably sound goofy for saying this, but one of my favorite parts of GateKeeper and Wild Eagle were that clang...clang...clang noise that wing coasters make when they go out of the station into the turn into the lift hill. I know it isn't a wing coaster, but with the similar turn into the lift I hope Banshee makes a similar noise when it exits the station.

So I know I basically listed the park's future for the next decade or so but that's the direction I feel like Kings Island is taking and what Banshee could be seen as in regards to being an indication to the park's future.

^I like the idea of taking out Vortex and putting a Wingrider there. And I agree VF needs a new coaster preferably B&M

I personally think that they'll re-theme Flight Deck to the original "The Bat" theme instead of putting a Wing Coaster there.

(And am I the only one that thought it was funny when KI said they'd be "winging it" with Banshee, and then they use the Wing Coaster restraints?)

2012Jarrett said:
That video makes me sad I wasn't there! :( At least it gets to be the first coaster I drive to ride next year! If all goes well at Dollywood (which should considering I'm just credit hogging Sideshow Spin) and Busch Gardens Tampa this season, this'll also be my 80th credit!

LONG BORING POST ALERT, HERE'S A SUMMARY OF WHAT I THINK:
*If Cedar Fair has success with this invert, they might be able to pull something similar off at Valleyfair and Kings Dominion
*If Banshee isn't as successful as GateKeeper, Cedar Fair could go back to wing coasters and put one called The Bat at Kings Island. Vortex isn't as popular as it once was and a wing coaster would be a good replacement, especially if called The Bat since it would be on the site of the original Bat.
*The announcement said that Banshee was part of a line of rides being used to clean up aging areas of the park (Diamondback cleaned up Rivertown, Windseeker cleaned up Coney Mall, ect.) so with that the only two areas of the park that haven't been recently renovated are International Street (new turnstile building) and Oktoberfest.

I think that if this one does well we could see another one of these inverts go up at Valleyfair (I feel like that park REALLY needs a new coaster) and possibly Kings Dominion (true, they get Volcano but as great as a ride as it is it really doesn't feel like it fully fills the role of an inverted coaster, I see it more as the park's launched coaster alongside Flight of Fear and Backlot) and then maybe they'll start putting more wing coasters up. Carowinds, CGA, Knotts, and Canada's Wonderland all feel like parks that could nicely pull off Gatekeeper-esque wing coasters, although maybe not ones that fly over the entrances. For instance, I personally like the deep south architecture on the Carowinds entrance and I don't want to see them mess with it.

In regards to the future of just Kings Island, I was thinking the other night while trying to fall asleep, could Vortex's station be converted into a wing coaster station? It already has a queue that crosses over the track. With a little modification, I could potentially see a wing coaster station in there. Only big issue I can think of is the length of those massive trains. But aside from the station, Vortex was all the rage when I was younger but now I feel like nobody likes it. In middle school for me (when I was still GP), I remember that the rides you couldn't miss if you went were Son of Beast, Firehawk, and Vortex. But just last time we went, Vortex barely had a wait and felt pretty much forgotten. As nice as it looks from around the park, I do feel like it's coming close to being on the chopping block. And what a better replacement than a wing coaster in the same spot called The Bat on the same plot of land originally occupied by the original The Bat? Wing coasters are close enough to inverts that they can fill their role if needed, but different enough that it would be okay to have both at the same park, and I could see a wing coaster looking very nice in that spot. They're obviously aware that they have the ability to do this as seen from all the false leads and having two spooky-themed coasters (Beast and Bat) right next to each other would be great.

If they don't do this, then I bet they do something with the park's Oktoberfest area. Maybe give Adventure Express's special effects some TLC (I can understand Cedar Fair not wanting to spend money building and designing theming, but with Ouimet's Disney background I see no reason why he wouldn't want to fix it up a bit) and maybe refer to my idea from earlier and tear down Sling Shot and expand Oktoberfest back into the undeveloped land, maybe building a path between Banshee and Adventure Express. Of course, they should also fix the existing Oktoberfest up a bit, maybe justify doing it by putting a flat ride (a Gerstlauer Sky Fly or Barnstormer-scale S&S Screamin' Swing would work well for this) beside that path behind Delirium on the pond opposite of Viking's Fury) in? What Bavarian theming still survives there to this day is beautiful and if Banshee's placemaking is as well themed as it appears to be then I think putting the same amount of effort into this aging section of the park could end up working out nicely. In that video they mentioned that they got to clean up a lot of the park with new attractions (Windseeker and Dinosaurs cleaned up Coney Mall, Diamondback cleaned up Rivertown, Banshee is cleaning up Action Zone, Soak City conversion cleaned up the waterpark in 2012) and after factoring in the Planet Snoopy conversion, I looked at the map and marked off all the areas they had yet to renovate with a new attraction and ended up with International Street/entrance, X-Base, and Oktoberfest. X-Base I marked off since it's so small and they recently got Firehawk even though it wasn't spoken about, so that leaves Oktoberfest and International Street. I already mentioned what potential I think Oktoberfest has, but International Street, while it isn't aging as much as Oktoberfest, could definitely use a bit of a facelift for some of the storefronts and definitely a new turnstile building.

Holy crap I'm getting off topic!

Back to the present, I do want to see what they do with cattelpens on Banshee. The rendering probably didn't show them for a reason, which worries me. I'm scared they'll be like Firehawk's or Diamondback's where there's little to no shade or theming. While I'm not saying that they have to build a giant gothic cathedral with air conditioning and music and a preshow, just something that looks sort of nice like GateKeeper's with the awnings and view of the beach would be nice. Maybe play some eerie music and build a wrought iron pergola over the cattlepen and plant some vines that could climb it. It doesn't seem too extreme for Cedar Fair and would provide some much-needed shade.

And I'll probably sound goofy for saying this, but one of my favorite parts of GateKeeper and Wild Eagle were that clang...clang...clang noise that wing coasters make when they go out of the station into the turn into the lift hill. I know it isn't a wing coaster, but with the similar turn into the lift I hope Banshee makes a similar noise when it exits the station.

So I know I basically listed the park's future for the next decade or so but that's the direction I feel like Kings Island is taking and what Banshee could be seen as in regards to being an indication to the park's future.

Too many wing coasters. Stop destroying good arrow suspended coasters

^ Vortex is the Multi-looper....Flight Deck is the one crammed into the farthest corner of the park like a red-headed step-child.

Too many wing coasters. Stop destroying good arrow suspended coasters

I love Arrow suspended coasters. I've only ridden Flight Deck (Kings Island's) and Iron Dragon at Cedar Point but both of them were awesome! Vortex is that giant 120-foot Arrow torture device that's sitting over by Windseeker rotting.

I just looked at Google maps and southeast of the Vortex plot is a space between The Beast and Racer. If the hypothetical wing coaster called The Bat is built in the Vortex spot it could easily go out through that spot with a lift hill and perform some maneuveres out in the woods like that and then come back like Wild Eagle or GateKeeper and maybe have a twisty finale over in the Vortex plot. I'll photoshop it later but if they build it out there like this it could give the hidden layout effect seen by both Diamondback and The Beast, and Banshee if they put some trees back in that plot and it partially hides the batwing in the valley. It would fit in so nicely with their flagships.

Valleyfair is expansion area challenged and VERY prone to annual flooding.

I can still see Flight Deck getting the Bat name rather than KI getting another new coaster.

You guys are getting Vortex at King's Island and Vortex at Canada's Wonderland mixed up.

What Valleyfair should have done a decade ago is rip out Excalibur and fill it in with a water park expansion, then move the water park entrance to the tunnel that separates Excalibur and Thunder Canyon from the rest of civilization. Could have kept their excellent log flume if they'd done that.

Yes, they face challenges with flooding, but it's nothing that would be an absolute deal-breaker if they really wanted to expand. They also have a height limit thanks to Flying Cloud Airport, but it's not a terribly low & restrictive one. Valleyfair definitely deserves to be developed more, though. Mpls is a major metropolitan area (the size of Seattle) and Valleyfair is a Twin Cities landmark that everyone there loves. Its market stretches as far away as Fargo, Sioux Falls, and northern Iowa. Renegade is outstanding, but it's already 6 years old, so yeah it's time. I guess an invert is the best choice by default, since the rest of their collection is actually pretty diverse and they have strong flat rides. It would be a great location for a multi-launch family coaster like BLSC or Verbolten too. Their entrance plaza is beautiful, though, don't touch that. Wild Thing is the original Leviathan - I remember sitting on Wild Thing footers and having picnics with my family back before Steel Venom was built. They could probably afford to eat up some of the northwest part of the parking lot for a nice big ride.

KD really needs a new turnstile building and is in a similar situation to KI regarding coasters. What they need most is to burn Shockwave to the ground and erase its pitiful, offensive existence from our hearts and minds. A wing rider or an invert would work really well there.

I've already talked about how much Worlds of Fun could benefit from a new coaster + entrance plaza. Something like Cheetah Hunt or even Rita would boost the park from good to really really great. I could see a station either on the east side of the park entrance at the current location of the awful Tivoli Theater or on the west side, building off the new carousel plaza adjacent to the Orient Express lot. Not a wing rider, though. Too similar to Patriot. Maybe a dive machine a few years down the road, if anyone is still interested in dive machines by then.

Banshee is another very positive step in the right direction for KI. Like KD, they are in desperate need of a less revolting turnstile building, and it's a big enough park that pretty much any genre of coaster they don't already explicitly have will fit in somewhere. I love the idea of renaming and retheming Flight Deck to The Bat. That would be a hit with locals who are old enough, I'm sure. Then open the area between Flight Deck and Banshee up for expansion - at the very least, this will make Flight Deck less out-of-the-way - and maybe that's the location for another major addition eventually.

steel said:
KD really needs a new turnstile building and is in a similar situation to KI regarding coasters. What they need most is to burn Shockwave to the ground and erase its pitiful, offensive existence from our hearts and minds. A wing rider or an invert would work really well there.

Banshee is another very positive step in the right direction for KI. Like KD, they are in desperate need of a less revolting turnstile building, and it's a big enough park that pretty much any genre of coaster they don't already explicitly have will fit in somewhere. I love the idea of renaming and retheming Flight Deck to The Bat. That would be a hit with locals who are old enough, I'm sure. Then open the area between Flight Deck and Banshee up for expansion - at the very least, this will make Flight Deck less out-of-the-way - and maybe that's the location for another major addition eventually.

As a guy that goes to KD a lot, I would rather see them go the winged coaster instead of the invert. Taking out shockwave makes a lot of sense, but thats not exactly a huge area, and would make it hard to put something else there. And tearing it down would make their coaster diversity go down. The easiest thing to do is to tear down anaconda. No one likes it, and that takes up a large area. You could give it a dark green paint job with blue supports and call it "Iguana" or "Chameleon" that sorta thing. Give it the type of look of Flying Over The Rainforest. Or you could always tear down Hurler or Grizzly. Personally I would rather see Grizzly go before the Hurler, but some how I get the feeling Grizzly isn't going anywhere. But my vote is for Wing Rider, KD, 2015!!!

bentcookie said:
No more Wing Riders! They do not impress me in the least.

You're not the only one! Great, fun rides, really. But any other B&M model is just so much more versatile.

And I haven't heard many people agree with this, but I find the vibration in the seats, especially the outside, really unpleasant.

lol

I heard a lot of whining about the outside seats on X2 and Eejanaika, too.

Bunch of pu$$ies.