What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Re: Kings Island | "Unknown" | "Unknown"

Casio said:
jolash said:
Also notice that, to my knowledge, this is only the 2nd B&M invert with no pre-drop. Sure, they've done away with this on most of their new rides, but now it looks like it's becoming standard across all of the company's products.

U wot m8? Nemesis? Oz'Iris? All of the Batmans? Alpengeist? Afterburn?

I take it you don't understand what a predrop is, cuz Nemesis, Batman, Alpengeist and Afterburn all have them.

Casio

Mega Poster
Re: Kings Island | "Banshee" | Moohassive B&M Invert

Crazycoaster said:
Casio said:
jolash said:
Also notice that, to my knowledge, this is only the 2nd B&M invert with no pre-drop. Sure, they've done away with this on most of their new rides, but now it looks like it's becoming standard across all of the company's products.

U wot m8? Nemesis? Oz'Iris? All of the Batmans? Alpengeist? Afterburn?

I take it you don't understand what a predrop is, cuz Nemesis, Batman, Alpengeist and Afterburn all have them.

Ohh, I see our misunderstanding. When you say pre-drop I think of before the lift hill (Nemesis Inferno) or something like Great Bear, where it actually has something before the drop. Alpengeist, Afterburn etc. I'd just count as a more drawn out drop.

But yeah, I think this and Oz'Iris are the only ones. And Oz'Iris' drop is mental

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

^ Think those are called pre-lift drop/sections but don't hold me to it..

smecn

Roller Poster

What I noticed by watching the videos is why isn't there a brake run? That wouldn't be something they would leave out of the videos would it? Anyways, really looking forward to the ride I think the new trains will make it much better since you should be able to see better than with the old trains. (Other than the front row)

Also, glad to see that they are at least TRYING to theme the station. Not saying it'll be very good theming, but glad they are trying.

Brookes

Giga Poster

^I also noticed this. Longest B&M invert yet there is no MCBR. I guess due to the sheer height of it all the elements are more stretched out so it's easier to get a longer length. I think with this ride we see a real progression in design by B&M, and quite how much they have changed since the Batmans and Nemesis. As has already been noted there is no pre-drop and a drop straight into a dive loop as with OzIris, and looking closely shows a different shaping to the zero-g that you would not normally see on early B&M inverts (it seems to have come in for Black Mamba, Patriot and Phaethon), an inline which I don't think we've ever seen before, and now this new train design.

As a ride, it looks absolutely cracking and is definitely a type of ride I'm really excited about. The constant inversions look awesome and I love batwings on inverts. The layout seems to flow really well and I also really like the loop around the lift. I'm not too sure about the new trains though. Maybe they will increase the visibility for riders further back, but the restraints seem more restrictive and I'm not sure how they will affect the ride experience. My initial reaction to the animated POV though was just wow.

therick311

Mega Poster

^ Plus the speed, it can cover more ground faster. I didn't compare the ride times from the animation to any other inverts, but I would imagine it has similar ride times to the others, maybe a tad longer. Anyway, if there is anyone I trust to get ride capacity right, its B&M.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster

Meh. It doesn't look impressive.

2 million more dollars and they could have got a Giga. What a shame.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

smecn said:
What I noticed by watching the videos is why isn't there a brake run? That wouldn't be something they would leave out of the videos would it?.

That's correct there is no 1/2 way brake run point so it's all out speed with "Banshee", love the layout, but B&M could of added a few tunnels & a few more inversions to have the most in the USA.

Re-name "Top Gun" as "The Bat" for 2014 :--D

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster

Jason Voorhees said:

But they have a Hyper already, and having a full circuit Invert really rounds out their park nicely. Not to mention there's still plenty of room behind Banshee. :)

njn63

Mega Poster
Re: Kings Island | "Unknown" | "Unknown"

BBH said:
After hearing about the problems with Gatekeeper's restraints through all of those high-G maneuvers, I'm not sure that this'll work as well as they may think, but B&M certainly wouldn't put a system on a ride if it weren't fully functional.
I was actually paying attention to this exact issue after reading that review and I didn't notice any increase in pressure when I rode Gatekeeper.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

I find on Raptor when i sat on the back row of the train, the restraints tightened at the bottom of the first drop, and the rest of the ride was pretty uncomfortable, but when i rode the front row, the restraints did not tighten, consequently with these restraints, it may depend on where you sit as to whether they tighten or not.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

B&M has been replacing MCBR with loooooooooooooooooooooong final break runs. This video looks like the trend will continue. My guess is this will be a three train op and look exactly like Leviathan with one train more or less stacking at all times.

I am looking forward to it. The obvious coin flip here are the restraints, here is hoping they are good!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I will be interested in the pacing of the ride. Kings Island said the top speed of 68 mph will not be reached until the second half of the ride (imaginatively the bottom of the Batwing). This could either mean a roller coaster that gets faster, and faster, building to the batwing - OR a very weak first half, high g-force batwing, and very slow second half. I'm hoping for the first option!

As to my "predictions" on what was right and wrong:

- B&M Invert
[strike]- Tallest B&M invert[/strike] (Tallest Cedar Fair B&M invert possibly?)
[strike]- Most inversions in North America[/strike] (Tied at 7 with most inversions)
- Track color will be purple (Sadly no light teal though)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Hyde244 said:
I will be interested in the pacing of the ride. Kings Island said the top speed of 68 mph will not be reached until the second half of the ride (imaginatively the bottom of the Batwing). This could either mean a roller coaster that gets faster, and faster, building to the batwing - OR a very weak first half, high g-force batwing, and very slow second half. I'm hoping for the first option!

As to my "predictions" on what was right and wrong:

- B&M Invert
[strike]- Tallest B&M invert[/strike] (Tallest Cedar Fair B&M invert possibly?)
[strike]- Most inversions in North America[/strike] (Tied at 7 with most inversions)
- Track color will be purple (Sadly no light teal though)

I think that by the looks of how big those elements at the beginning are (that zero-g roll is a MONSTER) that it should get faster gradually until it hits the bottom of the batwing, and then start slowly losing speed until the final brakes.

Here's my scorecard for my predictions:

*B&M Invert
*[strike]Tallest, fastest[/strike], longest inverted coaster
*Called Banshee
*Leaked plans were legit
*[strike]Track color charcoal or light ghostly blue[/strike], possibly purple
*Blue supports were ours
*Logo would feature a more "hag-like" Banshee than the one used for Mantis/Steel Force

Well this made me glad I put money on it with my cousin! She put down 20 that it would be a wing coaster, I bet that it would be an invert, and look who was right! I'll make sure to put my winnings aside for next season JUST so I can use it to buy a Banshee souvenir. (She hasn't responded to the link I sent her on Facebook, wonder why. XD)

Also, the night POV showed that there was fog around the lower parts of the ride with the gravestones. Wonder if they'll actually do that. :?

Ethan

Strata Poster

2012Jarrett said:
Also, the night POV showed that there was fog around the lower parts of the ride with the gravestones. Wonder if they'll actually do that. :?

They might, but I wouldn't get your hopes up!

smecn

Roller Poster
Re: Kings Island | "Banshee" | Mahoossive B&M Invert

If they do, it would only be for the first few years. Same thing happened with Backlot Stunt Coaster. When it opened there were water jets that sprayed to make it look like a splash. After a few years those were gone, and now the area doesn't even have water in it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Because if there is anything Cedar Fair is known for - it's theming.

No. That was also for show in the rendering.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Jason Voorhees said:

Kids today. Never #u(<!^€ satisfied.

marc

CF Legend

Think it looks great and it's about time a park got a new invert with an original layout.

Do hope it's better than oz though as that was a let down if you like forceful coasters.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Do hope it's better than oz though as that was a let down if you like forceful coasters.

Well if it rides like the video, then that final helix looks very forceful. Much like Nemesis' helix.