What's new

Iphones

Pierre

Strata Poster
I had a problem with my iPhone when I had it, that everytime I sync'd the music and stuff to it, and went to use a 3rd party app afterwards, it would go to load then just go back to the home screen, and would do this until I either updated an app or installed another app. Quite odd.

Also I had the battery indicator stuck on full at one point, which would seem like a good thing, but not when its lying and the phone dies on you even though it looks like the battery was full :lol:

Also the volume slider has stuck occasionally, if I slid it to another point it would automatically slide back to where it was set.

So that was three bugs I had in the month and a half of being an iPhone clan member, and still after that, I don't think any other phone will now cut it for me.

Furie the phone features are pretty simple really, if someone rings and the phone was locked, you have to slide to answer, preventing you from answering mistakenly, if you were using the phone and it was unlocked, either of the two simple options to tap "Reject" or "Answer"....

The keyboard was pretty easy to get used to, the auto-correct thing can be annoying but you can turn that off.

The mass appeal is a good thing, it was the same with Nokias (especially 3310's) years ago, you could pick up spare parts/accessories for next to nothing due to the mass production of the things.

Oh and yes, I was part of the "iPhones are crap" camp before actually using one!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
The iPhone will not work with your car kit, I dont know when they are bringing out a kit that will work with it.

Does it not have a standard iPod interface on it then? Poop!

I hear the sound of coffin nails being driven into this idea :lol:

Ben

CF Legend
spicy said:
iPhones are just awesome I couldn't imagine owning any other phone now. What other phone can I browse CF while listening to music, then watch a bit of family guy if I want or a whole film.
Then play streets of rage, or Fifa 10. After that do abit of shopping, book my cinema tickets, check train times, etc etc I could go on forever. It just does everything.

Mine for one?

marc

CF Legend
Its like the iPod Touch.

The menu is different and the car interface stuff can not select the iPod function so thats the problem. This is also what stopped me getting the Touch.

As I said though I would never use the phone to replace my iPod, it does not store enough music.

I can never see myself having any other phone type again tbh.

A

Anonymous

I have had a few members take the micky simply because I have an iPhone.
Especially AeRo (Ride-Guide)

AeRo simply hates the iPhone. So does a couple other members on here I go on trips with.

Yes OK there are a couple of things I do not like:

1) The bluetooth is only for headsets
2) Battery life
3) Certain Apps are not available unless you Jailbreak the phone.
4) You have to use iTunes to transfer files, backup etc

but other than that I love my iPhone 3Gs. I'm happy with 02 as well for now, apart from their 3G and signal in certain places.

marc

CF Legend
^and?

Other phones have more problems than that and have an even worse battery life.

LG phones have bad battery life and bad reception.
Blackberry again bad battery life and suffer with operating system problems.

Who cares what other people think as long as you are happy thats the main thing. What phones have they got then that are so great?

It makes me laugh when people slag of things other people have only to have things that are even worse.

iTunes is the most used programme for music and has won so many awards, tbh I think its fantastic and does everything it needs to.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
marc said:
The iPhone will not work with your car kit, I dont know when they are bringing out a kit that will work with it.
Worked in my car immediately! Bluetooth coupling no problemo, it's a bit tinny on the sound but fine otherwise. My iPod dock won't charge it unfortunately, but it does play music through it, and I got a car charger off Amazon for £3.

I've had my iPhone for about 3 weeks now, and it's glued to my person - the wife gets very annoyed :lol:.

Apart from a sound problem that needed a reboot, I've had no issues at all, and it's a game-changing convergence device IMHO. It's the first time I've come across a device that can properly handle phone, wifi, GPS, compass, accelerometer, music, video, gaming, form factor, application availability and decent HCI.

My previous smart phone was a Samsung i780, it tried bless it, but Windows Mobile is an utter sack of **** and will forever be thus. The only potential competitor on the horizon is Android, but I suspect it will be too diluted and unmanaged to properly challenge Apple.

I still think Apple are a cabal of super arrogant fascists, I'll never like them as a company. But I can't deny just how good the iPhone experience has been for me so far. Come on, what other device can instantly flog me an app which displays the night sky precisely according to where you're standing/facing and then rotate it as you spin? Or play internet radio (digital 5Live FTW) while driving? It's frigging awesome!

Oh, and you'll all be wanting the CF iPhone app once I finish it. And be buying my commercial shizzle after that :p.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Slayed said:
Come on, what other device can instantly flog me an app which displays the night sky precisely according to where you're standing/facing and then rotate it as you spin?
Is that pUniverse by any chance? I downloaded it the other week, it's pretty great.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
As some of you may know, I broke my phone the other day, so upgrade time, I am on the HTC Hero now, which runs the Android software.

The start up is as slow as ****, you are waiting a good 30-45 seconds before it even gets to where you want to start. But other than that its brilliant =D Been downloading a lot of free apps, including last.fm and the Google star map thing. The good thing about the hero is that it has a couple of buttons at the bottom, instead of the iPhone which has 1. Also it fully integrates with Facebook & Twitter straight away without downloading extra apps! So now I can look at my phone book and get updates from Facebook.

iPhone can go to hell =D Sorry!

marc

CF Legend
^Give it a week before you start getting software bugs like half the people at work that have taken theirs back.

Slayed mine does not work with the kit in my Mini, and from what I have read been told it does not work when you have to plug it in via the connection at the bottom. The Mini software just takes over, you get no display on the iPod and can not forward tracks unless you use the radio controls. When I tried my iPhone I got nothing at all, I could switch manually to the ipod function on the phone but got no sound. Glad you got it working in your car though.

A new model is expected next year, I was going to try and get a 3GS but am going to wait now to see what they bring out.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
Is that pUniverse by any chance? I downloaded it the other week, it's pretty great.
Indeed. It's not like I use it all the time (think my most used app is TweetDeck), but it's cool as hell (makes me wander around like an extra in old skool Star Trek) and only cost £1.79.

A lot of the new phones are going for Facebook/Twitter integration, but it's not offering anything I can't do for free on the iPhone. I saw a Hero recently, looked chunky.

The key limitation really with the iPhone (apart from Apple being all draconian) is the lack of multi-tasking, which stems from lack of battery life. There's a new battery technology imminent which extends battery life by a factor of 10, so once that hits, expect the iPhone and others to offer more functionality.

I must say though that iTunes is an abomination and should be ritually burnt.

marc

CF Legend
I love itunes, I have never had a problem with it.

Yes the new version does not look as good, but it does not matter how many songs you upload it does not crash unlike Media Player which slows down and crashes.

I do not understand what people dont like about it.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Maybe as a software developer I'm extra fussy, but iTunes is appallingly designed, slow to respond and sucks CPU like a toothless granny eating spare ribs. Slick user experience it is not, which given Apple's track record with hardware is shocking.

Then again, OSX is a bit of a mare to use too, so maybe there's a pattern.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Further evidence for iTunes's crapness: I've just tried synching my iPhone to my PC where all my music is, but it won't let me as I've already synched it to my Mac. Rubbish.

Luckily there's a fairly straightforward hex hack to fool it ^_^.

marc

CF Legend
Yes I do think that is crap that you can only sync up your phone or ipod to one system.

I tend just to make sure all my stuff is on one system.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
I've had my iPhone for four days and am still finding out what you can do with it. I am glad I have made the right choice and I am even impressed that I connect to the internet at my college where it is renowned for not getting any signal on Orange.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Is it picking up a wifi signal instead?

The good news about iPhone being on Orange is that I can now get my mum to forward me Orange Wednesday texts and it doesn't look out of place :p.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Nope it isn't. It is running of the GPRS network which isn't as fast but at least it is something. I can pick up 3G whenever I go into town.

Haha. I've only downloaded the Orange Wednesday app so far which is pretty useful. I am trying to work out what else I need.

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
Me, sister and brother all have an Ipod Touch, we wouldn't get an IPhone though, because If we lost it, we would loose both our phone and IPod: Bad times!

Personally I love mine!