What's new

Iphones

Dave

CF Legend
Sorry expert.

iPhone's rule. They help me with my photography work sooo sooo much! I got lost in central, whipped out Google Maps and found my way, genius <3

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I agree with Steven :shock: As soon as my contract runs out, I'm moving back to Vodafone.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Steven said:
Your pricing Furie is WAY out.

Internet is free upto 250mb a month and unlimited wifi. :razz: On P&G. Not £2 a day.

For the real pricing go to www.orange.co.uk just at the top of the page click on the Iphone bit. Pricing is different to normal contracts their.

Sorry Steven, but due to the fact I read the small print, my pricing is correct.

You get 250Mb a month free on P&G For the first 12 months after that, you have to pay £2 per day.
The Real Orange Pricing for iPhone said:
mobile internet browsing 250MB a month †

† for 12 months.

So if you have the phone for 2 years on P&G, you'll find your second year of internet access costs a lot - which mkes my comparison accurate and fair giving like for like over 2 years.

There's a reason I posted direct links to the actual tarrif details, not just to orange.co.uk you know? :p

marc

CF Legend
O2 3G is rubbish. I used to get 3G in my flat now I do not, yet every other 3G works.

O2 is not unlimitted data btw, they just put the amount in small print on your contract.

Orange deal is not good though, all the amounts on the website do not include VAT btw and this will go up in December. The contract price will work out £3 cheaper a month than O2 for the same thing.

I though Orange would do better such as unlimitted texts like they normally do. Even if you try and upgrade they will move you to the iPhone traffic.

Orange will also be using a hack of the iPhone operating system like they do on other phones, O2 use the full Apple version.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm quite surprised when somebody like Clam says iPhones are poop.

Clam seems to like technology and messing around on computer games so I'm surprised he doesn't like the iPhone.

Most people who are anti-iPhone always say that the iPhone is a toy. It does everything a "non-toy phone" such as a Blackberry can do as well as being a toy to piss around and play with, iPod, etc!

I fail to see why people dislike the iPhone (yes, I am biased!). Apple snobbery, perhaps? It may not be the most advanced bit of kit in the world but it does the job and has plenty of apps that can be useful as well as pointless. It's like having a laptop in my pocket, only with a slightly worse battery life!

As long as people don't whip them out down the pub or use it to distraction, it's a nifty phone come toy.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Ordered my iPhone today.

Orange are very prompt and are calling all the people who registered their interest in it.

tks

Strata Poster
I do love the applications on them, they're so handy at being portable information outlets. I could never justify spending so much on a phone however.

My phone calls people and gives me 300 'free' texts for £10 a month on Pay as you Go. Cheaper than my contract where I didn't nearly use up the stupid amount of minutes and texts 02 gave me. Paying up to £50 for the privilege of an iPhone seems an excess.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ian said:
I'm quite surprised when somebody like Clam says iPhones are poop.

I had an iphone as part of a 5 day trial.. i WANTED to like it - my plan was to get a macbook and start making games for it.

However, there was just so much about it i didnt like that i took it back.

Could go into a long rant about what i didnt like about it, but that'd take too long. General though:

1. it kept crashing
2. I cant change the battery - if i go hiking/camping on weekends, i always take a spare battery with me in case
3. My fingers were too big to press the keypad.. Kept pressing letters i didnt want.
4. If you're on the phone and you are on a messaging ststem "press 1 for english" type thing.. You have to take the thing away from your head, wait for the screen.. press the option.. put it back to your ear.. grr..
5. it kept crashing
6. it took FOREVER to reboot following a crash (not great for emergencies)
7. I tried to download a free app - only to find that i had to give my credit card details to itunes - EVEN if i didnt want to pay for an apps!
8. It's incredibly expensive
9. As it's an apple, it'll be designed to stop working within 2 years so you have to upgrade. (thus the reason you can change battery)
10. (the biggest complaint) - EVERYONE has one! So where's the "nerd" factor? I like to own gadgets no-one else has! :lol:

etc etc etc..

My next phone is going to be the new erricson which has a lot of the features of the iphone (touch screen/etc).. but no-one else has one!

marc

CF Legend
^How long ago was that though?

When I 1st got my iPhone I did not like it, it took about a week to get used to it. I have had problems but the latest update has fixed them.

spicy

Giga Poster
I've had an iPhone 1st gen which I think crashed once in 18 months of owning it.
Ive had an iPhone 3g which crashed twice in 18 months.
Im now on my 3rd iPhone, a 3gs which hasn't crashed as of yet.

So in about 3 years ive had about three crashes, maybe im just lucky?

iPhones are just awesome I couldn't imagine owning any other phone now. What other phone can I browse CF while listening to music, then watch a bit of family guy if I want or a whole film.
Then play streets of rage, or Fifa 10. After that do abit of shopping, book my cinema tickets, check train times, etc etc I could go on forever. It just does everything.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
spicy said:
iPhones are just awesome I couldn't imagine owning any other phone now. What other phone can I browse CF while listening to music, then watch a bit of family guy if I want or a whole film.
Then play streets of rage, or Fifa 10. After that do abit of shopping, book my cinema tickets, check train times, etc etc I could go on forever. It just does everything.

Like any other smartphone....

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
See I'm teetering on the edge of the whole iPhone thing.

My issues, really.

1. I used to have a smart phone (okay it was crap), but... I only use the phone function rarely - so when I need to use the phone, I need it to be really simple, because I don't spend enough time on the phone for me to learn the nuances. The smart phone I had was a pain (like Mr Clam said, take the phone away from your ear, get the number pad up, hit 1) - it just wasn't a good phone. At the end of the day, when I make or get a call, I need to be able to use the thing as well as I can my simple Nokia (or any simple basic phone).

2. There's a benefit to having an iPhone, called "mass appeal". It means that essentially, if you need an attachment, or a an app - because it's so popular, there are dozens to choose from. It makes getting car adapters (I have one for my head unit which allows me to control my iPod from the steering controls) and just "stuff" really easy. I've found with the Nokia smartphones we have here, and the old Windows mobile phones we had - it's all a bit of a nightmare. With the iPhone, everything is popular and therefore easy.

3. Not overly convinced by Apple mobile products to be honest. My iPod crashes fairly regularly. You also hear a lot of people with a lot of problems - but again, popularity means that you hear about more horror stories (Apple suffering from PC syndrome :p ).

Erm, really, it's the phone issue that is causing me concern. I have a choice of Blackberry too which will do pretty much as much, then keep my iPod as a separate device, but I'd like to have a single device really. So I don't really know at the moment, but the biggest issue is that you you just don't know until you've spent a week living with these things (preferably three weeks for the novelty value to wear off). However, the number of positive testimonials by "ordinary people" (not tech geeks) does tend to really show in the favour of the device.

marc

CF Legend
The iPhone will not work with your car kit, I dont know when they are bringing out a kit that will work with it.

Since the latest update I have had no problems at all with my phone, but I do want the 3GS as it is so much faster.

Tbh Furie I do think you would like the iPhone.

Mark has a Blackberry and has more problems than I do. Things like youtube stop working, the internet cache feels up really fast.

It all depends what you want as you say. From my view the iPhone will never replace my camera, or my iPod. I am one of those people who likes to have seperate things for the right task so its done properly.

My iPhone is used as a phone and internet only tbh, and it does them tasks well. For me it was probably not worth getting one for what I will use it for, but it's an iPhone so **** it :)