What's new

Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

As it's not yet been mentioned I don't think. Any idea on what launch technology this uses?

Was wondering if it was the B&M rail gun launch technology that they have rumoured to have been developing for years?

Also I'm so glad they have started to use launches on their coasters, I think we could see many more B&M launches in the future.

Aye I think those criticising the excitement of some people have missed the point a bit, it's not necessarily that this ride in particular looks like a world beater worthy of such excitement, it's moreso that this could be the prototype for who knows where we'll end up.

Where we had Oblivion we now get Sheikra and Griffon for example; it's good to see probably the most recognised manufacturer offering something new, especially something that has been rumoured upon for years.

Re: Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

spicy said:
As it's not yet been mentioned I don't think. Any idea on what launch technology this uses?

Was wondering if it was the B&M rail gun launch technology that they have rumoured to have been developing for years?

It's an LSM system developed by Intrasys. The same guys who provide the launch technology to Gerstlauer, Mack and Premier.

I'm just gonna say this once, if you're actually legitimately peeved about this announcement - if you're in the crowd that's complaining that it's too slow or too boring or too blah blah blah - then you fundamentally do not understand this industry.

Every roller coaster isn't trying to be in your top ten; every park isn't trying to build the MOST, HIGHEST, FASTEST, TWISTIEST, BIGGEST, BADDEST roller coaster; every manufacturer isn't CONSTANTLY looking for ways to outdo itself, just for the sake of it. This isn't 1996. Cedar Point vs. Magic Mountain ended more than a decade ago. And even then, the Coaster Wars weren't what most parks were focused on.

The point isn't to make every roller coaster as intense as possible, it's to create experiences that people will enjoy, and surprise surprise, there are a lot of different kinds of experiences that people enjoy.

If you literally can only appreciate and enjoy a roller coaster if it pushes EVERY ONE of your buttons at the SAME TIME, I don't know why this is the hobby you chose. You don't have "standards," you don't have "taste," you're just boring and jaded. All you're doing is setting yourself up for disappointment after disappointment, and that's a **** way to live.

Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

I think people are missing the point.

I for one commented due to the hype of this. The way some carried in was making it sound like it was going to be the best coaster in the world.

When the plans were revealed and the pov shown I felt let down as to me it looks average.

It looks fun and an ok coaster but it's not as good as some were making it out to be.

I take each coaster as it comes and enjoy ones that others don't rate. I really liked Silver Bullet most think it's crap.

So for me I was just replying to the people who over hyped it and I don't need someone to tell me my views are wrong thank you.

steel said:
I'm just gonna say this once, if you're actually legitimately peeved about this announcement - if you're in the crowd that's complaining that it's too slow or too boring or too blah blah blah - then you fundamentally do not understand this industry.

Every roller coaster isn't trying to be in your top ten; every park isn't trying to build the MOST, HIGHEST, FASTEST, TWISTIEST, BIGGEST, BADDEST roller coaster; every manufacturer isn't CONSTANTLY looking for ways to outdo itself, just for the sake of it. This isn't 1996. Cedar Point vs. Magic Mountain ended more than a decade ago. And even then, the Coaster Wars weren't what most parks were focused on.

The point isn't to make every roller coaster as intense as possible, it's to create experiences that people will enjoy, and surprise surprise, there are a lot of different kinds of experiences that people enjoy.

If you literally can only appreciate and enjoy a roller coaster if it pushes EVERY ONE of your buttons at the SAME TIME, I don't know why this is the hobby you chose. You don't have "standards," you don't have "taste," you're just boring and jaded. All you're doing is setting yourself up for disappointment after disappointment, and that's a **** way to live.

I wish there were more people like you posting here more often. Above and beyond "coaster nerds", this ride was built with Holiday World's many guests in mind. And for them, I'm sure this does live up to the hype, and probably will be the best coaster in the world. Coaster enthusiasts thinking the whole coaster world should revolve around them and what "gets them off" is one of the things I find more annoying about our current community.

The coaster itself looks so weird, because it's just hard for me to see steel track in this park. First time steel though, B&M is absolutely the way to go. Now I have more faith that this ride will actually be open my next visit to the park. The ride looks like a winner to me. HWN 2015 here I come!

I still feel like they could have gotten much more for there money if they went with Mack, that isn't going to change no matter what anyone says.

Re: Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

People again fail to realize that the late Will Koch always wanted a B&M for the park. Now that the technology is available to launch it and tie it into Thanksgiving, (Native American-themed wing coaster) the wish is being delivered.

And to me, judging by Holiday World's demographic, The Voyage will always be the most extreme ride in the park. Thunderbird, I would imagine, would probably fall somewhere between The Legend and The Voyage in terms of intensity. And to be honest, that's a gap that Holiday World needed to close and bridged very well by going with B&M.

steel said:

People are posting their opinions, which is fine.

I understand where you're coming from, and most enthusiasts are fully aware of what the park are trying to achieve (please the masses; the wing coaster does that) but they're still allowed to have an opinion on what they think it'll do for their personal taste. I haven't read all of the posts but I'm not seeing anyone slating the choice of ride, they're just expressing their own opinion of it.

I did love the weeks of rampant speculation and excitement, (that show is always the best part) and how much of a let down it'd be if it turned out to be a B&M wingrider just to have that be the case lol
At least there is finally a B&M launcher! Erm...a "real-er" one? Whatever.

I think it looks pretty cool, and since I hope to get all the wait to Missouri next year on some kind of road trip, KI is surely on my list!

Darren B said:
People are posting their opinions, which is fine.

I understand where you're coming from, and most enthusiasts are fully aware of what the park are trying to achieve (please the masses; the wing coaster does that) but they're still allowed to have an opinion on what they think it'll do for their personal taste. I haven't read all of the posts but I'm not seeing anyone slating the choice of ride, they're just expressing their own opinion of it.

A bunch of folks were prejudging how forceless the launch and entire ride would be and how it was a mistake and that there were better options, it wasn't special in any way to them, etc. etc. Typical coasternerd whinging.

Maybe I was in a bad mood when I was reading it, because it all seemed very whiny and entitled. To me it was incredibly annoying, and I made a very similar rebuttal a page or so back, as did at least one or two others.

It's big news for B&M, it's big news for the US, and it's HUGE news for Holiday World. Complaining about a ride before it's even gone vertical is a habit of enthusiasts that is getting really, really old.

Screamscape discussed today the technology behind the LSM launch: there is a power substation at the end of the launch that contains a large flywheel that is turned by electrical generator and used as storage of energy. When the launch activates, energy is drawn from the flywheel by the electrical generator, which provides electricity for the launch. The ultimate effect is electricity consumption is smoothed, without causing major spikes in the local grid.

Nothing too special (you have a flywheel in your car's engine that serves the same purpose), but an explanation for those interested.

wpid-10559657_10152323947104538_3151859907628902495_n.jpg

wpid-10313168_10152323944799538_1019247447290081317_n.jpg

Images courtesy of Holiday World

Loving the color on that! Can't wait to see Thunderbird start to stretch its wings! I hope to be able to ride that in the fall, because it's going to give some pretty good rides when the cornfields are all harvested and the leaves are in full color!

I've come to the conclusion that this will be weaker than GateKeeper and Wild Eagle for me but this is a huge step for Holiday World and I really want to ride it. Hoping for a media day!