What's new

Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

Dat zero-g roll! <3 I love how ridiculously tight it looks. I was expecting more of a giant, imposing hill for that element but it actually appears to be more of a ground-hugging quick flip, more along the lines of a corkscrew than the typical twisted hill you think when you think a zero-g roll. We still haven't seen how fast it goes so this is all speculation but from what I saw when I was there the elements out of the launch absolutely dominated that little clearing over by Voyage, and if that roll is really as small and tight as it looks compared to the loop and Immelmann that were up last I was there, I could potentially see that being full of Banshee-like forces. Can't wait to get thrown through this bad boy in April!

So all they have left appears to be the s-curve, carousel, and inline roll. It's been unusually cold here in the Midwest for November (second weekend in a row I've had to scrape ice off of my car getting off work, last year that wasn't a problem until January) so if that gets any worse I could potentially see a minor setback but if they keep pressing forward and not let this hinder them I could see the circuit complete by Christmas!

I didn't expect this thing to touch the other two wing coasters I've ridden...but seeing how tiny that figure-eight and zero-g roll look, I might have to rethink that. Look out, GateKeeper! :p

Considering that they're out in Indiana and more prone to snow and cold weather than over here in New Jersey it's no surprise to me that they have so much work done already. Get it out of the way before the weather screws everything over.

bmac said:
Considering that they're out in Indiana and more prone to snow and cold weather than over here in New Jersey it's no surprise to me that they have so much work done already. Get it out of the way before the weather screws everything over.

You're exactly right though. We are supposed to be getting 2-3 inches of snow tonight and more coming up in the week so they are trying to finish ASAP. Anyways, that horseshoe element kinda reminds me of Shambala's ampersand <3

Re: Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

I love the color scheme. Still not crazy about the trains, though.

The Train at IAAPA
10749969_10152884231573556_2328325018361701317_o.jpg

I like the colors better than the concept art. I'll admit, not bad.

From webcam:

vsfD1cd.png

Most(if not all) of carousel turn is done, and first half of inline twist is done.

All that's left(as far as we know) is the S-Bend, second half of Inline, and theming! This thing should be done by Christmas!

2-3 more track pieces. I cannot believe how fast this went up!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Holiday World has done a fantastic job on this, it looks to be the best Wing Rider yet, the colours are so perfect too with its surroundings, the tight turns and twists all look so fantastic.
It will be amazing zooming round the woods.

Fingers crossed that Holiday World delivers on the concept of having the barn theming for that zero-g roll.

I also think the train will look much better once it sits on the orange track.

Holiday World will have been able to dodge the bulk of winter weather then. That leaves wrapping up station construction and wiring for the spring (and addition of theming), and plenty of time for testing.

Hard Hat Chronicles 11: Thunderbird's track completed.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvD0manup4[/youtube]

They talk about "New Elements" that have yet to be announced(Near Misses, that is), a ride(announced later this week) being moved into the Thunderbird plaza, and how building construction is coming along nicely.

Here is a nice pic from Holiday world's facebook that shows how big Thunderbird looks from a distance!
thumb_img_20141207_172529.jpg

Also they have confirmed the Sparkler mini Skyflyer type ride will be moving to the Thunderbird Plaza and is now called "Crows Nest".

thumb_screen_shot_2014-12-09_at_3.jpg