What's new

Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

Hyde said:
To put the launch in context:

RnR: 0-57 mph, 2.8 seconds
blue fire: 0-62.1 mph, 2.5 seconds
Montezooma's Revenge: 0-55mph, 4.5 seconds
Maverick: 0-70 mph, 3 seconds

So it will be drastically slower than any modern day magnetic launch, but faster than a 35 year old Schwarzkopf flywheel launch. :razz:

The Premier spaghetti bowl LIM launch coasters only post a 55 or 60 mph launch, but not the launch time. However, these are long, slow launches (Cedar Fair's Flight of Fears were afterall the first magnetic launches ever), and I would anticipate Thunderbird to feel around the same.

Cedar Fair's Flight of Fears? Howabout giving Paramount the credit for buying those? :p

Also, B&M trains are notoriously much, much heavier than trains from other manufacturers. All that extra mass is a lot harder to get up to speed quickly and Santa Claus, Indiana doesn't have a massive electrical grid to support something with the electrical demands of something like those faster rides.

Y'all want an opinion?

What a bunch of jaded goons.

Launch will be weak. Wing coasters are weak. Wah. Wah. Wah.

Guess what?

For a park located in the cornfields of southern Indiana, this is a HUGE deal, your opinion is meaningless in that regard.

Add to that the fact that a generation ago the only launched coasters were shuttle loops and you start to sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. It's attitudes like this that make it so hard to be around enthusiasts. The park is spending more than most of us will make in our lifetimes to entertain as many people as possible. So sorry if it isn't up to your standards.

In my opinion Thunderbird looks pretty sweet. I love Wing coasters, I've been on Wild Eagle and GateKeeper and both are top 20 for me. Not ridiculously fast or insanely tall but just a decent height, decent speed, smooth and nice inversions just quality coasters. That's why I like Wing Coasters they don't try to break land speed records or try to throw you out of the train they are just solid coasters and I love them but that's just me. I am looking forward to this thing, it will give me another reason to make my first trip to Holiday World. :--D

Certainly an interesting new coaster that I will be following the construction of. Personally I think wing riders are ok but nothing brilliant.

Re: Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

rollermonkey said:
Y'all want an opinion?

What a bunch of jaded goons.

Launch will be weak. Wing coasters are weak. Wah. Wah. Wah.

Guess what?

For a park located in the cornfields of southern Indiana, this is a HUGE deal, your opinion is meaningless in that regard.

Add to that the fact that a generation ago the only launched coasters were shuttle loops and you start to sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. It's attitudes like this that make it so hard to be around enthusiasts. The park is spending more than most of us will make in our lifetimes to entertain as many people as possible. So sorry if it isn't up to your standards.

This

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

CoastingChris50 said:
In my opinion Thunderbird looks pretty sweet. I love Wing coasters, I've been on Wild Eagle and GateKeeper and both are top 20 for me. Not ridiculously fast or insanely tall but just a decent height, decent speed, smooth and nice inversions just quality coasters. That's why I like Wing Coasters they don't try to break land speed records or try to throw you out of the train they are just solid coasters and I love them but that's just me. I am looking forward to this thing, it will give me another reason to make my first trip to Holiday World. :--D
This. I could not agree more.

Is there an opening date on record yet? Or even a month? All I've seen is 2015. :?

I really don't mind if its in a cornfield in the middle of no where. ITS THE FIRST OFFICIAL FREAKIN B&M LAUNCH COASTER and the coaster itself looks amazing! I may or may not go to the park ever considering that my family does not wish to go to to Indiana on a vacation, but I'm still **** pumped. :--D

I'll say that I've never been happier to live close to the state of Indiana than I am now. #BBHHolidayWorld2015

The acceleration rate is about 0.8G, which is comparable to Mack and Premier LSM launches. So nothing too extreme, but rather something more family-oriented, which in the end is what Holiday World is all about.

I think it looks great tbh, I quite like swarm at thorpe so this interests me even though that is nowhere near my top ten. I will take it for what it is and if I can remember the height restriction which I think is 52 inches or 1.3m I think this could be a good family launch looper a bit like Blue Fire, not too intense but great family fun which I think this will be :p

I can't help but feel like the park could have gotten so much more the amount of money if they hadn't of gone with B&M.

I don't understand why parks go for expensive B&M cookie cutter coasters when they could get a much longer, intense, more exciting coaster from Mack, RMC or Gerst.

B&M will always be the waitrose of the coasters, they are expensive but not always good.

owenrita121 said:
I don't understand why parks go for expensive B&M cookie cutter coasters when they could get a much longer, intense, more exciting coaster from Mack, RMC or Gerst.

Because they are high quality, high capacity, low downtime, and the GP love them.

This will be a good addition. It's just not really aimed at us enthusiasts.

^Mack mega coaster, gp Will love that just the same, also is a very high quality ride and has great capacity, this coaster has a much short train than the other wingcoasters so it's capacity isn't going to be as high as the others.

^Don't forget that, in addition to what therick said, Will Koch (former owner who died in 2010) always wanted a B&M for Holiday World. This is not just HW expanding the breadth of their coaster selection, but also the realization of Will's dream.

owenrita121 said:
I can't help but feel like the park could have gotten so much more the amount of money if they hadn't of gone with B&M.

B&M will always be the waitrose of the coasters, they are expensive but not always good.

You realize that we as enthusiasts make up like 5% of the population that goes to parks, right? Parks really don't give a crap about us, and are building things to make money. As said just above, it's because B&M's are high quality, reliable, good capacity, and look great. How many times have B&M coasters had to be changed once construction started, or once testing started?? I can't think of any. You get what you pay for, and spending this large amount of money is a VERY smart move for Holiday World.

owenrita121 said:
^Mack mega coaster, gp Will love that just the same, also is a very high quality ride and has great capacity, this coaster has a much short train than the other wingcoasters so it's capacity isn't going to be as high as the others.

This park isn't serving the amount of people that Cedar Point, or one of the Six Flags parks is. They don't need 3 trains, that all hold 36 people per train. Again, it's about what the general public would ride, and ride a bunch.

^Helix and blue fire are a massive hit with the public, I get we're you are coming from but I still think they could have got more for their money with Mack.

They didnt go with Mack as Will had been in talks with B&M (guess that disproved my Intamin theory) a decade before this ever happened (so 5 years before his death). This was a continuation of his dream (A promise made long ago is finally being kept) and I honestly could not be happier for the park. So while they could have possibly gained more "bang for their buck" with Mack, Will wanted a B&M, and the family have chosen to honor one of his many wishes for the park.

As for Cookie Cutter? This does not really look "cookie cutter" to me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

owenrita your supermarket analogy would be better suited if you changed it to a car analogy.

B&M are your Volvo's. Top quality build, top reputation, some see them as a bit boring and safe, but they're viewed as a prestige sort of brand.

In comparison, Mack would be a Lotus. Not too common, bit unique, reliable but lacking the sort of prestige in branding.

This has gone to pot as I'm struggling to think of other comparisons but you get the point.

2012Jarrett said:
Is there an opening date on record yet? Or even a month? All I've seen is 2015. :?
Can't remember where (might've been Coaster Radio), but I thought I heard that they were hoping to get this ready by April.

^Awesome, Thanks Tom! That could be finals week for me but worse comes to worse I do it the week after. Can't wait, I'm probably already going with my friend Connor from KICentral. :) So glad I put off this and Kentucky Kingdom until next year, I'll be getting a +9 next year for the price I was going to get for a +7 this year.

I know it's a Native American legend and had they put Native American-like theming on it, Thunderbird would have fit in beautifully with Thanksgiving, but I think they're milking it a bit, especially with the traditional Midwestern farm theming they're using instead. An Ohio/Indiana farm is going to look nothing like a Pilgrim settlement, and I think they could have made it fit in a bit more with Native American theming instead of a farm.

Historical accuracy aside, it's a beautiful ride and I'm sure it's going to be a site to see driving into the park and seeing that gargantuan thing perched up on that hill like that. I'm fairly sure there's going to be some force in that little figure-eight thing and if the inline is anything like Banshee's that'll be a great near-miss. Can't wait to ride it!