What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

I'm pretty sure if I305 which is 305' tall and held up by 2 main supports can withstand an earthquake a 200' tall roller coaster that's held up by 2 main supports will be just fine. Plus it's kind of hard to make a normal lift hill when you have a wooden roller coaster directly under the lift hill for about 90% of it.

Exactly, if they would of went with something more aesthetically pleasing (especially for a ride that's going to create a visual hindrance to their main entrance) I think people would be more receptive to the design. I305 in my opinion is beautiful - it has the architectural integrity that helps it compliment existing landscape. SkyRush, on the other hand screams, "Well, whats the most practical and economical design? We'll take that one".

It reminds me of something out of a traveling fair to be honest.

I'm not even really sure what to say about the design at this point. The ride/layout seems like it will be great at this point but the color palette and lift hill area seem a bit...off. I think I will wait to see how this wraps up because right now I don't want to prejudge too much.

See, I'm not even the biggest fan of the ride's layout either. It's essentially and unimaginative figure 8. I would of expected the park to be more creative after witnessing what they did with The Storm Runner and Great Bear. From the sounds of it... after being questioned on it at IAAPA, Sandor Kernacs didn't seem all that excited about it either. It's a run of the mill ride if you ask me.

Will it be a good coaster? Probably - its an Intamin. But with that being said it's wasted potential because of that exact philosophy... it's an Intamin. Cheetah Hunt suffers the same problem.

For our engineering types:

Why build the supports out of a multitude of small pieces that are bolted together with hundreds of bolts?

The "norm" for the past couple decades has been completely unlike this (or the vertical elements of I-305's lift hill), shouldn't the increased number of parts also increase the potential for a defective part to squeak by?

Progressive failure ain't a pretty thing to witness, you know?

^Might have something to do with corrosion, it's the only thing I can think of. By making the bolts and screws out of a less noble metal than the supports themselves, the supports won't corrode before they are no longer into contact with the less noble metals in the screws. While this makes the screws a lot more prone to corrosion, they are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than the supports themselves (which are probably a PIA to fix). And if you have enough redundant supporting, a faulty screw or two won't be a problem.

Though, I see a few logical fallacies here myself, so this is not likely to be the correct answer. For starters, the same effect can be obtained by simply strapping a bar of a less noble metal directly on the metal support itself. This "sacrificial anode" will prevent the corrosion of any nobler metal it is in contact with. It's also a LOT easier to maintain and replace than thousands of individual screws and bolts high up in the structure.

Yeah, I just wrote two paragraphs to say "I have no idea".

I still think this track style looks very... Golden Horse </3.

Layout looks amazing though!

Woah... woah, yeah it does look really... industrial, but the colours are taking that and making it hideous. It could look amazing if it was a coppery dirty industrial colour. How odd. Why is it so odd looking?

The colour scheme is "Joey's Bedroom".

Really need to paint my room...

Yeah exactly what I was thinking.
A company like Intamin obviously will have safety procedures and methods in place to construct a proper lift hill. Its not like they're new at doing this anyways ... Its going to be perfectly safe.
Personally, I dont think Skyrush looks *that* bad, as again once the actual track and catwalks have been added it will look better.

Jesus, that DROP.

Everything about this.

On the outside seats as well.

I want this in my life <//3

Good update. Looks like it should only be another two weeks or so until the crown of the lift is installed... joy.

Can't wait to ride this in June. Drop looks epic. Going to be a different feeling in those seats as well.

Re: Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

So long as nothing horrendous comes along, by the end of feb to early march i hope

Switching between the hideouts'...

Mike T said:
Good update. Looks like it should only be another two weeks or so until the crown of the lift is installed... joy.
They have to finish it in pretty much the next week because the crane is going to a different construction site at the beginning of February, I also remember reading that they originally had plans to cap it off last week but were delayed due to the wind.

UC said:
They have to finish it in pretty much the next week because the crane is going to a different construction site at the beginning of February, I also remember reading that they originally had plans to cap it off last week but were delayed due to the wind.

Yes, because if it's not done by then, the crane will leave and they'll be forced to open the park for 2012 with a partially completed coaster.

Use some common sense.

They will have to find a different crane. It's been really windy these last few weeks in NY and PA

Yes, I assumed that if they havent finished using the crane by the date that it needs to go to someone else, then thats their problem ... theyd have to find another crane ...
I doubt they would just be allowed to have it for longer ....
I mean really, they have taken an awfully long time to do this, as it does seem rather complicated and there have been horrible weather conditions with the floods and all.