What's new

Hersheypark | Chocolatetown | 2019/2020 Park Expansion

Matt N

CF Legend
According to Screamscape, Hersheypark has gotten FAA approval for this coaster. It will apparently be 220ft tall.

Matt N

CF Legend
Well isn't that delicious.
Isn't it just? I love the sound of a 220ft B&M hyper, personally; should be some of the best sustained airtime at Hersheypark, as correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Skyrush mainly have briefer pops, albeit very ferocious pops? This B&M hyper should provide a different experience to Skyrush for all the floater fans out there, and besides, it's a 2nd hyper to reduce Skyrush queues for the ejector fans!

Snoo

The Legend
Isn't it just? I love the sound of a 220ft B&M hyper, personally; should be some of the best sustained airtime at Hersheypark, as correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Skyrush mainly have briefer pops, albeit very ferocious pops? This B&M hyper should provide a different experience to Skyrush for all the floater fans out there, and besides, it's a 2nd hyper to reduce Skyrush queues for the ejector fans!

Yeah but SkyRush is essentially nothing but airtime. I realize a Hyper would be the same but being the same height, the seconds of air may be compareable but the quality will definitely not be. I do hope they go a different route if it is indeed a B&M like they did with Great Bear.. kinda.

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah but SkyRush is essentially nothing but airtime. I realize a Hyper would be the same but being the same height, the seconds of air may be compareable but the quality will definitely not be. I do hope they go a different route if it is indeed a B&M like they did with Great Bear.. kinda.
Oh OK. Thanks @Snoo! I might have to rephrase that, then; for people who don't like something as ferocious as Skyrush or people like me who prefer sustained airtime, this should be a good hyper coaster.

Snoo

The Legend
Oh OK. Thanks @Snoo! I might have to rephrase that, then; for people who don't like something as ferocious as Skyrush or people like me who prefer sustained airtime, this should be a good hyper coaster.

Yes. That. But most B&M Hypers are that. They certainly aren't bad coasters for the most part, just not my favorite cup of tea. I can marathon those bad boys for a hot minute as long as sustain the sexy time.

Matt N

CF Legend
Yes. That. But most B&M Hypers are that. They certainly aren't bad coasters for the most part, just not my favorite cup of tea. I can marathon those bad boys for a hot minute as long as sustain the sexy time.
Ah, so you prefer ejector airtime. I personally prefer floater, which is probably why I seem to be more positive about this than most. Thanks for the clarification @Snoo!

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
Holy crap I have not been on this forum for a while

This is great news about one of my favourite parks- Steel Vengeance over this past weekend popped Cedar back to the top over Hershey, and maybe this new addition will put Hershey back over Cedar, lol. I was unaware they bought all the new land but heard it was a 220 footer initally. The plans posted here look B&M, which I guess they are somewhat lacking as a park, with only Great Bear but... eh.

The footer plans posted here (assuming they’re accurate) could also fit some sort of huge wood hybrid (RMC) ORRRRRR...

INTAMIN PREFAB REVIVAL! I WANT EL TORO PART TWO

Snoo

The Legend
Holy crap I have not been on this forum for a while

This is great news about one of my favourite parks- Steel Vengeance over this past weekend popped Cedar back to the top over Hershey, and maybe this new addition will put Hershey back over Cedar, lol. I was unaware they bought all the new land but heard it was a 220 footer initally. The plans posted here look B&M, which I guess they are somewhat lacking as a park, with only Great Bear but... eh.

The footer plans posted here (assuming they’re accurate) could also fit some sort of huge wood hybrid (RMC) ORRRRRR...

INTAMIN PREFAB REVIVAL! I WANT EL TORO PART TWO

I wish Intamin would. That would be legit. But they wouldn't because DUMB.. and they were expensive. :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Is this actually confirmed anywhere yet?
The recreation looks alright, everything up to the MCBR looks fab, but won't be built like that. There's too much ejector(for a B&M hyper) in that first half and the MCBR is too short for the train. 2nd half is a meanderthon that's taken inspiration from Great Bear it seems.

I would happily take a new hyper at Hershey though, better than the last install.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
This map from a zoning board meeting here shows the proposed "Boundaries of Construction" for whatever they're doing:

july5hp1png-0350a46f4efd74f8.png

It's been established that the park will be redeveloping the entrance area, which explains the upper half of the area. The bottom has tiny footer dots you can see, which almost exactly replicate a standard B&M Hyper layout(especially that long channel into a turnaround). While I do think a dive could work at the park, all of the signs point to a hyper.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
A Mako style hyper would be a good ride, but it's just not a good fit at this park as they already have Skyrush.

Maybe diversity in coasters isn't as important as we think. I would bet that the public would see it as "another big coaster, one that doesn't go upside down" and not really care that another coaster across the park fits the same label. Hershey already has a lot of bases covered when it comes to coaster diversity, so it isn't totally inappropriate to build another installation of a coaster type they already have (Wildcat and Lighting Racer are both GCI woodies, after all). A second Hyper isn't totally unlike a second Invert or a second sit-down launcher, it's just a much bigger ride type to copy. But conceptually, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I agree with both posts above, but I still think a B&M Hyper isn't the best fit, plus that NL2 recreation of the rumoured layout with bland af.
I get that the experience will be different to Skyrush, but it just seems like such an odd choice.