What's new

First Rollercoaster Experience Ever!?!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
furie said:
Isn't White Lightnin' also a launch Jerry? Weight drop or flywheel?
Yes, indeed. :oops: It was a weight drop.
Don't know why I always think of Lightnin' Loops as my first launcher. :?
Maybe it's because it used a compressed air aircraft carrier style launch system & launched at both ends of the shuttle loop (forwards, then backwards). It was also my first interlocking loop coaster & the only dual interlocking loop coasters ever built.
furie said:
Was the Shockwave at GrAdv the same one that is at King's Dominion? I could look it up, but let the discussion flow here :)
No, it was the Intamin stand-up that was at Magic Mountain & the Shockwave at Kings Dominion is a Togo stand-up (of course). So it's the same as Shockwave at Drayton Manor & Cobra at La Ronde. :wink:

Artichoke

Mega Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
First coaster - Little Dipper at Kiddie Park Of San Antonio: :lol:
e8dlfa1j500008t504d5o2.jpg

First woodie - Swamp Fox at the Grand Strand in Myrtle Beach, SC:
3b084mig26isgaj7058g00.jpg

First loop/inversion - White Lightnin' at Carowinds:
55o0017kk0hkn02v9o2je0.jpg

First stand-up - Shockwave at Six Flags Great Adventure:
ciu5806i0001jkk0hkn024.jpg

First bobsled - Sarajevo Bobsled at Six Flags Great Adventure:
nib98139e854g03rc0043b.jpg

First dual launched & interlocking loops* - Lightnin' Loops at Six Flags Great Adventure:
m9b8139e854i04i80005j9.jpg

First inverted - Batman The Ride at Six Flags Great Adventure:
BTRmain1.jpg

First floorless - Medusa at Six Flags Great Adventure:
Mmain.jpg

First flying - Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Great Adventure:
SUFmain1.jpg

First hyper - Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure:
Nitromain2.jpg

First mega - Millennium Force at Cedar Point:
mf.jpg

First strata - Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure:
KK-main1.jpg

First soaker - Flying Super Saturator at Carowinds:
flying_super_saturator8.JPG

First water coaster - Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld Orlando:
Journey.PNG

I like pictures :wink:

I can most definitely tell you like pictures. They're all amazing :wink:

Mr. X

Roller Poster
First coaster - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (WDW)
First "major" coaster - Either Rock 'n Roller Coaster or Screamin' Eagle, forgot which was first
First hyper coaster - Raging Bull

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
First coaster: the dragon coaster at Legoland California
First inversion: California Screamin' at California Adventure
First hyper: Xcelerator at Knott's Berry Farm
First stand-up: Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mountain
First flying: Tatsu at Magic Mountain
First giga: Millennium Force at Cedar Point
First strata: Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point
First woodie: Timber Terror at Silverwood
First coaster with multiple inversions:Boomerang at Knott's Berry Farm
First suspended: Ninja at Magic Mountain
First 4D: X2 at Magic Mountain
First inverted: Batman: The Ride at Magic Mountain
First water coaster: Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld San Diego
First launch: California Screamin' at California Adventure
First floorless: Scream! at Magic Mountain
First spinner: Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's Berry Farm
First beyond vertical drop: Maverick at Cedar Point

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
First roller coaster experience?

10 years ago when I was 12, I took a trip to Cedar Point with a friend and he often talked about the Magnum XL-200 because he had rode it often during a previous trip and talked about "how fast and fun it was" (he rode it before the Millennium Force was there). Of course I have never experienced a roller coaster and so was indifferent to what he was saying (this is before I loved coasters).

So after entering the park, he was drawn to the back because the Magnum was there, and decided to ride it; he invited me and, having NO IDEA what experience I was in for, I followed him, unwarily entering the queue path. If I had known beforehand the experience I was about to have, I would have given it a while before I tried it out!

Up in the station while climbing into the train is actually when I started to get nervous, as I pulled the lap-bar restraint over my lap and buckled up; it was just something about the ambiance at this point - some seriousness of being fastened into the car, I got a feeling this could be a bit intense. The slow ascent and loud clanking sound of the chain lift bringing us up rather high is what started to get me intimidated.

Now traveling down the lift hill is when I ultimately realized I wasn't really in for this - it induced such an intense adrenaline rush it felt unbearable (keep in mind I was 12 and this was my first coaster ever). Flying over those ejector hills, I really felt like I was going to be flung out of my seat. While entering the tunnels I got the typical "head chopping" notion but it was too disturbing for me at the time. The ride being over, I was shocked and jokingly slugged my friend for leading me to this overly intense experience.

Because of this, I had been typically scared of roller coasters for a short time after as the following spring back to Cedar Point on a middle school trip I was barely willing to ride even the Gemini. HOWEVER, later that year during a trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain my dad persuaded me to ride the Goliath which was another first-ride-in-the-park, large coaster experience but this wasn't as bad this time as I actually found it to be a little fun. Any remaining fear of coasters reduced to fearless during my third trip to Cedar Point with my family the following year in 2003, as I "conquered" every coaster there except Top Thrill Dragster because it was closed.

Sorry about the long post.

sawalive

Roller Poster
My first rollercoaster experince was probably the catipilar ride, but my first proper coaster would be the scenic railway, Dreamland, Margate, It was hell of a classic coaster, good airtime and speed all controlled by a staff memeber on the ride, your life was in his hands! That made it so exciting. Sadly now destoryed by arsen and now has half of the track burnt out to a crisp, and dreamland no longer exists apart from a large closed of car park with a burnt out woodie in the middle, so sad to see!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Hi Saw Alive :--D

There are plans to reopen Dreamland as a heritage park, complete with a range of historical rides - including the Scenic Railway (although the plans keep getting delayed, and it is currently looking to open in 2013 - anyone want to correct me on that?? Apparently there are a load of rides in storage somewhere)

http://www.savedreamland.co.uk/
http://www.dreamlandmargate.com/

There's also a thread on CF if anyone knows where

sawalive

Roller Poster
I too understood that they would reopen dreamland with a fresh look, but I can't see it happening anymore, Margate is a ghost town and is so run down because dreamland is gone, plus the space is still completley empty. So 2013 sounds very optomistic! I pray that one day it will become one of the best seaside attractions in the area. It really needs someone like the pleasurebeach group to put it into functioning order!

Samb49

Roller Poster
My first kiddie coaster was The Hornet in Flambards.
Didn't really like it though. Wasn't until I was in my 20's when I finally got over my fears and went on my first real rollercoaster which was Black Mamba in Phantasialand.

fishman100

Mega Poster
My first ride on a coaster was when I was 4 the Great Chase (I think that's what it's called) at Six Flags Great America. I loved it and instantly knew that I was hooked; unfortunately I was too short to ride any of the "real" coasters.

Montario

Roller Poster
Mine was vampire at CWoA, I remember watching it flyby with a roar in the main Transylvania area of the park, its so loud it always used to get to me. I still ride it for fun now and then :D

My first intense roller coaster was Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe Park, since then I have ridden many other B&M inverts and flying coasters. Nemesis tops them all for me though.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
First actual rollercoaster? One at Wicksteed park,
Proper coaster: Nemesis at Alton, really kicked off my adrenalin gland...and my passion for inversions, B&M's and most importantly...all things coaster!

orientdan

Roller Poster
The Vampire at Chessington in 1994. I thought I was so 'ard for going on it? Then I went on Nemesis at Towers the following year and the Vampire was soon forgotten lol! :--D