What's new

Favourite first drop?

BBH

Giga Poster
X-Flights dive drop is definitely the most unique I've ever been on, so I'll go with that.

pinklottie91

Roller Poster
Mine would be Oblivion at Alton Towers - considering the first time I rode it I was sat on the front row which it made it more awesome!

Treeis

Mega Poster
The first inside drop on Saw is great, especially since you really dont expect such a small drop to pack such a punch.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
X2 is just one of the most messed up experiences you'll ever have on a coaster and it just screws with your mind. As a runner up I'd have to go with either Maverick or Fahrenheit. On a woodie Ghostriders is amazing in the back with a bit of space in the restraints because it feels like you're going to fly out and hit the roof and Tremors is is also great just because it goes through the gift shop.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Leviathan - The way the first drop is shaped, there's enough curve where you're thrown out of your seat, but since the crest is so tight, it feels like you're falling a lot longer than you actually are. It's very well done and very much resembles skydiving.

Griffon - Who doesn't love hanging 200 feet in the air with nothing below them but the air and ground?

Skyrush - What hasn't been said already? The crest has airtime and the rest of the drop is absolutely ludicrous.

Lofty

CF Legend
Shambhala. By far for me. Back row, it just seems like its never going to actually level out. Fantastic fun.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
X2 carries a certain "gang bang in a back alley" intensity that is certainly memorable.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Quite a difficult one.

Oblivion/Saw/Swarm all up there. I'd probably give it to Swarm, but only front row and only on the left hand side.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Definitely Millennium Force. Breathtaking, simply breathtaking.

I also love the Renegade first drop with the steep s-twist.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Newness to add to this topic from me: Oz'Iris's first drop is insane and Zeus's was fab and floaty <3

SoMuchWin

Mega Poster
Leviathan- It crests down at the last second so it feels like the drop is much steeper than it is.
Maverick- Beyond vertical. Nuff said.

Nick P

Mega Poster
1: Skyrush due to its amazing ejector airtime. Very unexpected.
2: MF tied with I305 because of their never ending drops. Fantastic.
3: Maverick. Short and sweet.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
Newness to add to this topic from me: Oz'Iris's first drop is insane and Zeus's was fab and floaty <3

I was just a bit disappointed with OzIris and TDZ this summer (mainly TDZ because it did not feel as fast and as out of control as last year), but they do both have amazing first drops, OzIris's was nearly as good as Katun's first drop.

nadroJ

CF Legend
CookieCoasters said:
nadroJ said:

I was just a bit disappointed with OzIris and TDZ this summer (mainly TDZ because it did not feel as fast and as out of control as last year), but they do both have amazing first drops, OzIris's was nearly as good as Katun's first drop.

I've never been to Asterix before and, apart from Goudrix trying to decapitate me, I was very impressed with the quality of their coasters. I found Oz'Iris to be a brilliant new addition, really blew me away and I was expecting Zeus to be a bit meh, but the first drop was incredible and the rest of the ride was rough without being painful and still managed to maintain some pops of airtime. Awesome.

TrevorBondi305

Mega Poster
On Intimidator 305, you just seem to float cresting the lift and then...POP! Ejector for 3 seconds until you pull up into a high G turn! Go Intamin go!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
See, I think EGF is a boring version of Big One's drop. It's basically the same, except one was made by a vaguely competent company, and is this a little dull.

I really like Arrow's rides. I can't think of many that suck? Most of the suspended ones seemed to be poor, but other than that...

I dunno how anyone could like Intimidator's first drop. No force at all, like a near vertical powered mine train. It's odd, at least?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Kind of agreed Joey. I think the Big One's first drop is probably more exciting that EGF's, but EGF's is still very good, especially when you then look at the really good layout to come ;)

PMBO's is down to how ferocious it is. You're rattling around in the big tin can trains, with a loose lap bar and the sea wind buffeting you (hitting you with cold sausage rolls and cheese and pineapple on sticks). Then it does that horrendously fast, jerking twist down and around and you're in no way convinced you're going to survive it.

Sadly, the thing that makes it good (just like The Ultimate) is pure fluke. It's poor design and poor engineering that just happen to work together to produce something unique.

You just feel a little too safe and too secure on EGF, but I do like coming off the second drop and really loved Bizarro's first drop.