What's new

Favourite first drop?

Some personal favourites:

Black Mamba; Good snap, sweet airtime, powerful loop..
Goliath (Walibi); Great classic drop
Nitro; Great classic drop that never seem to end
Troy; Probably the best twisted drop in the world (that I've been on)
Oblivion; no explenation needed
GIB's; Not as long as the DM's, but being dragged up starring face down is pretty neat!
I305; Long, tall, fast, ejector, amazing!

BUT all of them are of course overshadowed by the almighty Skyrush!

Snoo said:
Millennium Force is still my favorite first drop. The sheer size, views, forces at the bottom, and good airtime (not fantastic but still good) all make it fantastic IMO. On top of the fact that the first ride I thought about when I saw this topic was Millennium Force.

My thoughts exactly Snoo...MF was what came to mind when I saw this topic as well :shock: ...but Maverick was creepin around in there also..only in the front seat though :wink:

Can't beat MF's drop right at sunset or at night!

Definitely Saw and Oblivion. I love the sharpness of the saw indoors drop, even though I know it's coming and I can see it's coming it just completely grabs me by surprise. It just seems to throw you out of your seat and having the spikes there is amazing as it really seems as if you are about to hit them. It makes me laugh that the rides outdoors drop is pathetic compared to the indoors one. And Oblivion is just fantastic, the hole really adds so much to the experience and the drop just seems to last forever, and gosh its just so fast and amazing. I really can't wait to go again. And seeing as i am going to uni in Leicester hopefully I might be able to make it to one of the scarefests, I would love to ride that drop in the dark. It would be simply amazing!!!

OK, so here's my verdict on Skyrush/Fahrenheit, yes Skyrush had a buttload of air time on the first drop, and was one of the most intense rides I have ever ridden, but I am going to be controversial here and say that Fahrenheit's was better. The point of a first drop isn't just to deliver air time, but also to intimidate and scare riders. Skyrush just didn't bring the same level of intimidation for me. The idea of being slowly dragged up vertically then pushed down a drop you cant see the bottom of just scares me more. So while Skyrush delivers good air-time it doesn't intimidate as much as Fahrenheit.

Now I'm not saying Fahrenheit's drop is the best of all time (I have only ridden a limited number of coasters), but if I had to guess my favorite first drop it would probably be on a ride like Oblivion.

[Edit] To emphasize my lack of experience, Skyrush is the first and only hyper coaster I have ridden.

I do like Jubilee Odyssey's because it's just so high and open for a suspended. However I think Oblivion's is still the most 'scary', I still get a slight sense of nervous anticipation to this day.

Shambhala because of its smooth floaty never ending drop into that tiny claustrophobic tunnel of brief darkness. Second would be Oblivion.

Mine has to be the Inverted Drop in my current favourite coaster, The Swarm as you get quite a bit of hang-time on an awesome drop!

MForce, simply due to its size

El Toro from back seat is killer and Skyrush from back is just...f**k!

metalhead7 said:
OK, so here's my verdict on Skyrush/Fahrenheit, yes Skyrush had a buttload of air time on the first drop, and was one of the most intense rides I have ever ridden, but I am going to be controversial here and say that Fahrenheit's was better. The point of a first drop isn't just to deliver air time, but also to intimidate and scare riders. Skyrush just didn't bring the same level of intimidation for me. The idea of being slowly dragged up vertically then pushed down a drop you cant see the bottom of just scares me more. So while Skyrush delivers good air-time it doesn't intimidate as much as Fahrenheit.

Honestly, after reading this I have a agree, Fahrenheit does have an amazing drop, it scared the **** out of me first ride.

Depending on what you call a first drop, Mr. Freeze could be the one for me. That vertical spike in the front row 200 ft up with just lapbars...paradise :)
Other than that, The Boss and American Thunder both have pretty awesome first drops for different reasons. The Boss's is good because of the intense speed, but American Thunder's is just beautiful.
BTW, this is subject to change as I might be going to Great America this fall.

What's definitely memorable for me is...

- Millennium Force IN THE VERY BACK. Nuff said.
- X (X2)'s first drop is an experience you wouldn't know unless you actually ride it. A-freakin-mazing.
- Maverick's quick 95-degree drop that makes it look like you're going to slam into the ground. What a rush!

But most of all...

- Riding Griffon in the back is probably my favorite. The back row provides a pop of ejector air as you're whipped over the crest and this airtime is SUSTAINED the whole way down! A graceful, beautiful free fall! Griffon = ♥

Update:

1. Millennium Force
2. El Toro
3. Goliath - La Ronde.

I was surprised how much I ejoyed Goliath's first drop. It had perfect airtime.