What's new

Europa Park | Piraten in Batavia Rebuild | 2020

Oliver.D

Roller Poster
It would seem the fire actually broke out from part of Fjord Rafting rather than the backstage areas as had been previously assumed.

EP's French twitter wrote:
The criminal police investigations carried out following the fire at the leisure park at Rust and the preliminary evaluation of the results of the technical expert reports indicate that the fire seems to be in the "Fjord-Rafting" area.

The origin of the fire is probably due to a technical failure based on the current state of the investigation. For now, there is nothing to indicate theinvolvement of a third party in the incident.

The technical investigations of the fire experts will nevertheless continue for some time and the final conclusions are not yet established.

9520302d1528280988-europapark-passiert-mit-skandinavien-batavia-nach-dem-brand-bildschirmfoto-2018-06-06-um-12.21.02.jpg

On CoasterFriends.de someone has drawn onto Google Maps the location of the tunnel (red oval) under the buildings complex, and the red circle marks where the flames were in the YouTube video above.

thats my demonstration, ive made for the german forum.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It would be weird for a fire to start in that tunnel, since there doesn't appear to be any big effects or lots of flammable materials there.

There also seems to be a restaurant above it. Does anybody know where its kitchen is located? Does it share a kitchen with Gazprom Bar, which would plausibly put it right below the red dot? Because, well, it's kind of rare for a fire to start next to a restaurant kitchen without the kitchen itself being complicit. Whenever you see a restaurant burn down on the news, in most cases comes down to a poorly cleaned ventilation hood.

Rob 92

Roller Poster
It would be weird for a fire to start in that tunnel, since there doesn't appear to be any big effects or lots of flammable materials there.

There also seems to be a restaurant above it. Does anybody know where its kitchen is located? Does it share a kitchen with Gazprom Bar, which would plausibly put it right below the red dot? Because, well, it's kind of rare for a fire to start next to a restaurant kitchen without the kitchen itself being complicit. Whenever you see a restaurant burn down on the news, in most cases comes down to a poorly cleaned ventilation hood.

The kitchen for Fjord Restaurant was located directly behind the servery; from what I have seen of the start and subsequent spread of the fire it seems extremely unlikely to have started there. Plus you'd think one of the kitchen staff would know if it had.

There was a flame effect in the tunnel, it's possible that it could have gone badly wrong. Otherwise light or other electircal fittngs or possilble mechanical parts of Fjord Raftimg could have been at fault.

Lofty

CF Legend
I didn't think that it was caused BY the ride, I thought they used it as a location reference point?

Ireeb

Mega Poster
They didn't say it clearly what exactly caused the fire, but something around there. It is likely that it was the rafting/one of its theming effects, but nothing has been officially confirmed.

Robert.W

Roller Poster
I didn't think that it was caused BY the ride, I thought they used it as a location reference point?
This was the statement released by the police about the investigation into the cause:
Rust (ots) - The criminal investigation led after the fire in the amusement park in Rust let preliminary conclusion of the obtained forensic findings indicate that the fire in the area of the attraction "Fjord Rafting" may have broken out. The cause of the fire, according to the current state of the investigation, is probably due to a technical defect. There are currently no indications of third party debt. However, the technical evaluations of the fire experts are still ongoing and are not yet finalized.
It is a bit vague, but it does mention some sort of "technical defect". I probably worded my other post not so well. :)

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
EP Fans had a fan event recently at which Michael Mack spoke about how they plan to rebuild what was lost in the fire.

The Scandinavian village is to be rebuilt, almost identically in appearance, for the start of the 2019 season. Only slight adjustments to the divisions behind the facades are planned and Vineta is unlikely to return.

With regards to Batavia's pirates: Roland Mack wants a nearly identical rebuild, while the younger generation of the Mack family wants to modernize the new attraction a bit. Either way they have set themselves the ambitious goal of reopening Pirates by 2020.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
And they are still looking to build a new (final?) coaster in 2021? What a way to make the next 3 years as exciting as possible <3

EndlessWire

Mega Poster
Can I just say how bloody wonderful it is to see Europa putting on its happy face and doing their best to get everything as normal as possible as quickly as possible? That wall in Fjord Rafting isn't necessary but it'll stop guests having the ride spoiled by either an ugly view or a pang of sadness at what's been lost - it's not needed to make the ride work but it's just a little enhancement that betrays an ethos of effort and commitment to what they do. The #social #media attitude is similarly #bright and #sunny in its outlook too. Whatever you think of Europa, it's clear that the Mack family take huge pride in it, and that shows. Bravo and kudos.

James F

Hyper Poster
Maybe they'll do a self reffentional joke about the fire? I am not sure if it's too soon, probably is... Yeah they won't do it, but I wish they would.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk