What's new

Efteling | Symbolica | ETF Rides Trackless Dark Ride

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven't been following this and had completely forgotten about it. I didn't realise it was opening this year, or I would've possibly factored Efteling into my summer plans.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Not sure if you're being serious..?

Well the floor looks like it has lots of grey tire marks on them, unless it's just part of the floor design...

How do these trackless dark rides work. Do they follow a path of sensors underneath the floor, and how do they get the power to run?

peep

CF Legend
^Looks like a marble effect to me.

I'm going to assume Symbolica has the same system as the others in that they use a mix of RFID chips in the ride vehicles and GPS tracking systems. I'm sure I've seen a great description or video of how they work somewhere but after a 5 minute search I can't find anything relevant.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, that's marbling, not wear and tear on the floor.

It depends, some trackless dark rides have cabling/sensors running under the floor that they follow - there are a couple that use a form of GPS, but it's not the GPS that you'd imagine such as Sat Navs etc., it's localised GPS.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, that's marbling, not wear and tear on the floor.

It depends, some trackless dark rides have cabling/sensors running under the floor that they follow - there are a couple that use a form of GPS, but it's not the GPS that you'd imagine such as Sat Navs etc., it's localised GPS.
It's not GPS at all (hint is in the name). ;) It's proximity sensors (IR, most likely), which essentially just work out ranges between objects.

It's a very slick system, which can be incredibly versatile.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Am I the only one who thinks it looks tasteless, ugly and boring ?

Possibly.

I think it all looks good, but I'm hoping the lighting in the ride is different to that in the videos, and that the bland lighting we've seen is just the house lighting for maintenance.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The roof is done and looks like they're starting to work on the finishing touches. Wig.
DBZLn84WAAAcrG1.jpg

DBZLpbuXgAA2by-.jpg

DBZLqiNXkAAphxt.jpg

DBZLhyZXkAA96fH.jpg

Source: Verwonderling
DAgtWW7XYAAx0IV

Source: Paetjesmakers

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Efteling will open a spectacular new attraction within three years
020617summer3.jpg

The new attraction Symbolica is not open yet, but the Efteling is already busy with the next major expansion. The theme park opens a spectacular attraction within three years. That's what Efteling director Fons Jurgens said in an interview with Looopings.

"In order to attract five million visitors by 2020, we invest in three phases," says Jurgens. "The first phase consisted of the arrival of rollercoaster Baron 1898, and the extension of Bosrijk holiday park in 2015. Phase two will be realized this year, with Darkride Symbolica and Loonsche Land holiday park."

In 2019 or 2020, the third phase is in turn. "We have beautiful, ready-to-use plans for attractions. What attraction is coming has not yet been decided."

One thing is clear: Jurgens wants an attraction with a decent capacity. "In this way, we can keep the waiting times in check. It would be unwise to invest in attractions with a capacity of less than a thousand people per hour." Symbolica has a capacity of 1400 visitors per hour.

In February, the new Efteling master plan was unanimously approved by the City Council. The theme park is expected to grow by eight hectares in the coming years. A piece of land at the Efteling Hotel - between Vogel Rok and the Python - is being drawn to the park.

Also, the Efteling has plans for attractions up to 50 m (165 ft) high. A spokesman of the park confirms to Looopings that in the new piece of land the park is allowed to build up to fifty meters high.

http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/7747...jaar-weer-spectaculaire-nieuwe-attractie.html

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Are those solar-thermal panels on the ride's roof? They lie configured like solar-electric (photovoltaic) panels, but appear to be too dark and monochrome to correspond to any PV surface I know of. Could be Cadmium Telluride or CIGS cells, but those panels tend to be more reflective, and you'd usually be able to make out the individual cells. Besides, I haven't heard about such cell types used for rooftop application; they are mostly used in large-scale power plants. So overall, it looks more like thermal solar panels (which heat water rather than producing electricity), but it remains unknown why they would install such a large array of thermal panels, since I can't imagine a theme park using that much hot water, and using them for room heating seems redundant for a seasonal park - during the times of year when the park is open, cooling is usually a bigger concern.

Any press releases I've found say they are "solar panels", but fail to clarify which type. Any help?

I'm working on a PhD about green roofs, and try to work in photovoltaics in there too (it's what I wrote my Master's thesis on); that is the reason why this bugs me so much.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Are those solar-thermal panels on the ride's roof? They lie configured like solar-electric (photovoltaic) panels, but appear to be too dark and monochrome to correspond to any PV surface I know of. Could be Cadmium Telluride or CIGS cells, but those panels tend to be more reflective, and you'd usually be able to make out the individual cells. Besides, I haven't heard about such cell types used for rooftop application; they are mostly used in large-scale power plants. So overall, it looks more like thermal solar panels (which heat water rather than producing electricity), but it remains unknown why they would install such a large array of thermal panels, since I can't imagine a theme park using that much hot water, and using them for room heating seems redundant for a seasonal park - during the times of year when the park is open, cooling is usually a bigger concern.
They do look more like solar thermal panels to me.

Don't underestimate the amount of got water public buildings will use. Toilets, food prep areas and kitchens alone could add up to a reasonable amount of hot water. Plus, I guess we don't know if they've connected in other areas of the park or surrounding buildings to increase their loads.