What's new

Dreamland Margate News

Re: Scenic Railway in Margate news

On Saturday 16th November 2013, Dreamland opened its gates for the first time in eight years.

The purpose of the opening was to allow the people of Margate and those who have an interest to view the site, the plans for the redevelopment and meet the people behind the project.

Nic and I (and her parents) were there for the opening at 12 midday.
dreamland16nov13a.JPG

A crowd of about 400 people turned up! Enough to fill several double deckers and if everybody led head to toe, it would stretch from John O'Groats to Land's End...and back again! Ok, not really but you know how these events are always over-exaggerated by the media. After a short speech by, the gates opened and everybody lurched forward. As they could only allow about 70 in at a time, there was a bit of a wait much to the man-with-megaphone's annoyance. "GET BACK!!" It was like people on the Titanic clambering for a lifeboat. People were that desperate to get in.

Eventually we got in and it the state of cosmetic disrepair was evident. Dilapidated buildings, weeds had over group, paint was pealing off the walls. It was, as expected, a building site.
dreamland16nov13b.JPG

All of the facades will be tarted up.
dreamland16nov13g.JPG

New restaurants and family entertainment such as a roller disco, drive-in cinema will open at Dreamland. We were told that they want to build a bandstand so members of the community can come and busk for money and so bands can hold intimate gigs.

15 rides are planned to open at Dreamland in 2015. Most of them are reclaimed, refurbished and traditional rides. Several come from Pleasureland Southport. The Whip is from Blackpool Pleasure Beach which was removed in 2008. The cars were on show.
dreamland16nov13d.JPG

Jan Leandro, the parks Heritage & Engagement Manager, informed us that several rides from the Bembon Brothers era will also make an appearance.

Most of the rides will be situated on the land that was inaccessible during the day.
dreamland16nov13f.JPG

The three remaining quarters of the Scenic Railway cut a domineering shadow over the park. It's all fenced off to protect it's Grade II listed status. It will be rebuilt for the park's reopening in 2015. If the plans are stuck to, it will have an glass-sided workshop where visitors can see behind the scenes. The whole "bringing the park back to the people" theme is very important to the Dreamland Trust.
dreamland16nov13c.JPG

I recognised the tree/wall feature that was used as a backdrop for CF's "Save The Scenic" documentary.
dreamland16nov13e.JPG

The video is ancient now but if you want to see it, it's here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnesIm6gNE8[/youtube]

Dotted about the place on tables were the future plans. It was very hands on and informal.
dreamland16nov13h.JPG

Other stuff happening on the day included a "Bubble Flash Mob" where everybody was given bubbles to blow at 1pm, a (presumably) local band were playing, you could "Sow Your Seed for Dreamland" (that's my term, there's was less crude) where you potted a plant cutting, took it home and then bring it back in 2015 to help landscape the park and there was also a competition for the person who was best dressed...I don't think this person stood a chance ;)
dreamland16nov13j.JPG

On the way out, there was an opportunity to scribble a message on the wall. With her tongue hanging out in deep concentration, Nic grabbed a crayon and scribbled...
dreamland16nov13i.JPG

To be honest, my interest in Dreamland virtually diminished after the closure. It seemed like it would never reopen. However, after visiting on Saturday and seeing what it means to the community and those involved with the Dreamland Trust, I'm excited. Ok, so it's not going to have a B&M Hyper coaster or a some new, fancy plastic animated dark ride, but it will have plenty of character. It's endearing to see a traditional British seaside park rise from the arson ashes and remain true to it's heritage. I'm looking forward to visiting on opening day 2015.

Plans and information about the rides, the park and the Dreamland Trust's campaign can be found here: http://www.dreamlandmargate.com

^ Yes, him, some chap who didn't introduce himself and Nick Laister.

dreamland16nov13d.JPG

How did it ride?

The place is looking amazing, and well on track to be open in 18 months.

Thanks for the detailed update! I had been trying to find out more details about event as I missed it but there were only fragments of information posted around elsewhere!

I believe someone on joyland books was talking about trying to revive the shellsuit, good on him I suppose!

Sound promising though! Is there any way to sign up for the Big Clear Day online or do you just turn up?

As they are only allowed a certain amount of people on site at one time due to H&S I definitely wouldn't recommend just showing up. The guy signing people up for the Big Clear Day on Saturday said he would be going through the list and emailing people sometime this week I believe? I would suggest emailing Jan Leandro on the Dreamland Trust page and going from there.

If they already have enough volunteers, I hear there will be similar opportunities in the future.

LG95 said:
As they are only allowed a certain amount of people on site at one time due to H&S I definitely wouldn't recommend just showing up. The guy signing people up for the Big Clear Day on Saturday said he would be going through the list and emailing people sometime this week I believe? I would suggest emailing Jan Leandro on the Dreamland Trust page and going from there.

If they already have enough volunteers, I hear there will be similar opportunities in the future.

Ok, thanks I might do that then, at least to get on the mailing list! I'm not 100% sure whether I'll be free on the day yet, hence why it would be easier to decide then but as I am coming from a little way away I would like to know that I'd be able to help once I get there!

Hopefully they will still advertise these events online for people who might have missed previous events as I'm sure not everyone who is interested in the project could make it to the opening day.

SilverArrow said:
I believe someone on joyland books was talking about trying to revive the shellsuit, good on him I suppose!
Yeah, we did think it was an ironic choice of clothing. He still looked ridiculous though!

SilverArrow also said:
Hopefully they will still advertise these events online for people who might have missed previous events as I'm sure not everyone who is interested in the project could make it to the opening day.

The only way we knew about it was through Nic's parents. They live locally so heard about it.

However, the Dreamland website has an events page where it was also advertised. It's probably worth checking now and then: http://dreamlandmargate.wordpress.com/

Also here's a BBC news report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24962388

Such a shame BPB destroyed their "Turtle / Tumble Bug" ride a few years ago, it should of been saved considering how rare they are, could of joined the "Whip" at Dreamland.

Ian said:
SilverArrow said:
Yeah, we did think it was an ironic choice of clothing. He still looked ridiculous though!

SilverArrow also said:

The only way we knew about it was through Nic's parents. They live locally so heard about it.

However, the Dreamland website has an events page where it was also advertised. It's probably worth checking now and then: http://dreamlandmargate.wordpress.com/

Also here's a BBC news report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24962388

Thanks! I appear to be on the mailing list now so I should be getting the updates.

Does anyone know how regular the volunteer days will be?

sparky2u said:
Such a shame BPB destroyed their "Turtle / Tumble Bug" ride a few years ago, it should of been saved considering how rare they are, could of joined the "Whip" at Dreamland.

My ultimate ride request would be a re-construct of the BPB Virginia Reel, but that is so out of the question it's almost unthinkable. I'm content with the world's only (?) water chute though.

At the reopening event, visitors could buy a souvenir paper (proceeds go to the Dreamland Trust).

It's an interesting read. It has details about the rides, the plans, the designs, general history of the park and some quaint photos.

I've scanned it for your reading pleasure.

Download link: http://www.coasterforce.com/mrbell/drea ... ov2013.pdf
(It's a big file so it might be better to save it rather than reading directly from the link)

BBC news yesterday;

The former owners of the Dreamland theme park are considering asking for a judicial review into the decision to allow a council to buy the site.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-26594871

This is basically the old site owners trying to take their action against the compulsory purchase to the next legal level (they lost their appeal in October - go back a couple of pages in this topic), despite them saying then they were not taking it any further.

They're supposed to be opening stage one of the project soon, aren't they? If I'm right in thinking, re-opening the Scenic Railway was a part of stage one...? I've had a quick Google but can't find anything re updates on actual construction.

And the news is..?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dreamland in Margate update

For those who follow this future park:

All landscape and ecological surveys have now been completed. Tenders for the initial works are being evaluated by our partners, Thanet District Council, and we anticipate an appointment at the end of March. Meanwhile, the council has put out a call for interest to tender for the design and build of the amusement park exterior and interior spaces.

A contractor for the design and build of the Scenic Railway trains is being finalised and the council is in the process of drawing up the contract. Meanwhile the specification for the second package of works is being drawn up for the design and build of the Scenic Railway, associated buildings and railway station.

A call out for expressions of interest to restore the Corbiere Wheel and Junior Whip has been released by the council.

The Corbiere Wheel is the creation of French engineer, Henri Corbiere, built around 1956.

This veteran Ferris Wheel is the only ride in the world to have a spherical motion. In other words the whole wheel revolves around its base as its gondolas travel in a spiral path describing a sphere through space.

Now in its golden age this state of the art design had its passengers spellbound by the unique sensation of its double action.

Dreamland’s Junior Whip is the last surviving original in the UK. The Junior Whip opened at Pleasure Beach Blackpool in 1927 as the Fairy Whip. It was believed to have been originally located in Bingle & Bob's, the children's park set up that same year between the Jack 'n Jill Slide and the Scenic Railway.

In 1934, the ride was moved to Emberton's Kiddies Park where it was located immediately south of the Zipper Dipper. It operated until 2008, in recent years as Griffin's Magic Dragon, and in 2009 it was dismantled and moved to Dreamland Margate.

Just read over on Towers Street that work is to start next week on restoring the Scenic Railway!

It's hoped to be ready in time for the parks opening in 2015.