What's new

Dreamland Margate News

Re: Scenic Railway in Margate news

So... They have the site and £9.8-million to fix it up?

Maybe if they hurry, they can still beat Flying Turns!

;)

rollermonkey said:
So... They have the site and £9.8-million to fix it up?

Maybe if they hurry, they can still beat Flying Turns!

;)

...or ring racer. :D

Dreamland heritage plan backed by Appeal Court

Hi All

Didn't see this posted elsewhere so apologies if it already has, but it has been announced today that the Dreamland Heritage Park Plan has finally been approved in the Appeal Court - hopefully this project can now finally get moving :) Good news all round

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24444859

Dreamland Live! who were challenging the compulsory purchase order also look like they will now not be pursuing any further, having stated:

'We are sad to lose the appeal in the court, but we will not now be making any further applications. As a consequence the local authority are free to develop Dreamland as they see fit.' (before fitting in a quick 'dig' which can be read in full on the above news story)

Re: Dreamland heritage plan backed by Appeal Court

Ah, excellent news!!

This court battle has been going on for too long. What really annoys me is Dreamland Live!'s comment about it being inevitable that the council would win, so why the hell did they drag it out for so long? Urgh.

The comments by the GP in the video report are interesting.

Who's parents will be living 4 miles from the park as of tomorrow? Oh yeah :D

Am pleased that they now get on with sorting the place out.

Sorry but I'm one of the people that think it will have a very short life as a park. People will go once and that will be it, there is not enough to get people going again and again. Plus there is nothing in the area to even get people there.

Even with sea side towns doing well over the past few years Margate has not been one of them.

Even AI now shuts out if season which it never used to.

I hope I'm proved wrong but in 10 years I just have a feeling we will have a topic saying it's shut down.

When I was a kid and we used to go there I was not interested in the woody or the water shoot, I went for the looping coaster.

Don't get me wrong am happy they are doing something but they need more than old rides or crappy spinny rides.

I have faith. Even in its final seasons Dreamland was still a viable venture (and look at the state of it then)
The only reason it closed was because the owner wanted a retirement plan and converting to houses meant the land value increased.

While I think an AI approach would have worked okay, the heritage park is a unique attraction and something that will be covers such a huge spectrum; not just rides but events and other attractions too.
I think some people are forgetting Dreamland will not be competing with other theme parks such as Thorpe Park but rather places like the Historic Dockyard in Chatham, the Fairground Centre in Devon, museums, and other attractions of them sort.

Merge with the other Dreamland thread that's been going for years now, I think this will.

I think it needs a good mixture of old and new rides.

Yes Dreamland was still doing ok in its final years but that was a long time ago now and the whole area has changed.

AI nearly went bust, they were lucky they got that extra area the other side of the pier to expand.

Yes I am aware it won't be competing with Thorpe etc. When I was growing up we had a choice to go to Thorpe, Chessy or Margate. We always picked Margate as the rides were better, I'm just worried that older families will get bored.

As said I could be totally wrong but a park made up of rides from parks that failed does not look great.

I will go there if course I will but the last time I went all that was there was the Scenic, it was horrid to see the place like that.

It needs all the support it can get, including train offers like there used to be.

It's one of those chicken and egg things Marc.

Without a draw to the town, it becomes a less and less desirable place to visit. Is "putting back what was once the draw" going to turn the tide? I don't know.

I know that when we went in 2005, the beach was glorious, really, really nice. If the town hadn't been just on the bad side of the drop into decline, I would have recommended it to anyone wanting a weekend seaside holiday (like we enjoyed in Great Yarmouth last year).

However, it was all just supermarkets, £1 shops, charity shops and closed down cafes/ice cream shops/tat shops etc.

Dreamland was fine and good fun for an hour or so, and that was when it was right at the end with temporary fairground rides. It was still a "let's go to the beach, eat ice-creams and go on the fair" great day out though. When I went to Scarborough after the Yorkshire Live, the sea front was exactly like that too, and the Scarborough beach is bloody horrible.

It's worth noting that Scarborough has picked up in the last few years, and supports a small fair. I think regeneration, mixed with at-home holidays has helped.

Again, there's been a period of catch 22. The holiday resorts go downhill as the money dries up from lack of visitors, and that accelerates the dilapidation of the area. You need to inject money and give people a reason to return.

It doesn't have to be a star attraction, and I think that's maybe where your concerns might be a little out Marc. Dreamland used to be a destination, but Margate has the potential to be the destination and Dreamland the support. I think it can survive as that, as long as Margate can encourage people into the town. They need to really tidy things up. They need to offer free rents in abandoned retail venues to encourage businesses to start up. They need to instil confidence in the guest houses that people are coming to get them to stop taking in the "sea-side scroungers*" and offer nice rooms for guests. Thanet need to make sure that the town is welcoming as Dreamland opens.

If they can do that, they can get people into the town. Dreamland is fantastically located, so it can really reap the benefits of seaside holidayers. Rhyl clung on in a much worse climate, much worse location and much worse town for a long time and it offered very little. So there's definitely hope, even with the limit of Dreamland's offerings (though ride King Solomon's Mines and tell me it won't have a thrill ride!!! :lol: ). It gives a family a place for a short visit to bolster their day out at the seaside. I don't think it will ever make real money, but I think it will tide over, as long as TDC aren't just hanging all their hopes on Dreamland to fix their town, they need to work bloody hard themselves at the same time.

*or whatever the Daily Mail are calling the unemployed these days

Tbh Furie you have summed up what I was trying to say about the town as a whole.

If the town is a mess and not a nice place to visit people won't go back.

Southend spent a fortune on the sea front and it's worked wonders it's really drawn in the crowds. The council made all the sea front shops paint and tidy up so it looks so much better.

If Margate can do the same then great, if not then I just cannot see anything the park do working long term. They need to jump on the publicity the park is getting and tidy the place up.

Yeah, they both live or die together now.

I've seen it happen at Southend too. I went in 2007 and found it an unremarkable, if not a bit grotty, place to visit.

When we came last year for the wedding, it was much better. Like, "we'll have to come here again for longer" better. I certainly didn't feel that way in 2007. Margate was much farther down the drain in 2005 than Southend was in 2007, so they really do have a massive amount of work to do in the town itself.

I would not disagree with any of that. On the one hand Dreamland should be able to start drawing people back as soon as it reopens however on the other side of the coin, the town as a whole will need to grow and adapt with it if they want to have Margate as a viable seaside resort.

The council can't just expect to open the park, sit back and watch the money fly in. They will need to keep their eyes on the prize by ensuring appropriate investment goes into the rest of the town. As it currently stands, I have no reason to doubt they won't do this. The Turner was a good start though that seafront is going to need some serious work after Dreamland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24962388

Margate Dreamland site reopens for open day

The Dreamland theme park in Margate is to be opened to the public for the first time since 2006.

The park, once home to Europe's largest big wheel, is opening for three hours to allow people to hear about plans to restore the seafront site.

Thanet District Council bought the attraction from the former owner DreamlandLive by compulsory purchase earlier this year.

DreamlandLive lost a High Court appeal against the purchase last month.

The funfair is home to a Grade II* listed, wooden roller coaster.

and obviously...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/401679492495974400[/tweet]

Went to a talk by Wayne Hemingway the other day, but he was running late to catch his train and had to skip through all the slides showing his Margate plans. But that was the only reason I was there!

(The conference had a good buffet though, so I shouldn't grumble...)

Went today and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Really informative and it was great to see such a large turnout. Let the ball roll!

I've not visited the park since the BenBon Brothers ownership, Love riding "Looping Star" such a classic coaster.

Bring on 2015 for the park's re-opening with it's historic rides..