What's new

Dreamland Margate News

Re: Scenic Railway in Margate news

Still no closer to making an agreement.

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Future-Marg ... story.html

THE future of Dreamland is still in the balance after the public inquiry into Thanet council's buyout was adjourned again after all the evidence was heard.

The Dreamland Trust and Thanet council have more than £10 million of government and lottery grant funding in place to re-open a heritage amusement park next summer but the owners object and say those plans are not economically viable and do not require the whole site.

Owners Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company (MTCRC) have plans to build 474 homes on the site surrounding the Scenic Railway despite not applying for planning permission.

The inquiry will re-open on Monday, March 26 to hear closing statements from the council and the owners before planning inspector Tony Davison retires to consider his recommendation on the park's future.

Lawyers from both sides argued long into Thursday evening before the Inspector decided to extend the inquiry into a fifth week following his site visit on Friday.

The legal bill for the case has run into millions of pounds and the owners are threatening to take the case to the High Court if the council's buyout is confirmed.

The council and the Dreamland Trust require the compulsory purchase order to obtain the grant funding and press ahead with plans to reopen Dreamland.

Two more weeks until the case is fully heard and then probably months until a decision is made. Can't see it happening myself!

Yes it does seem like its becoming more and more unlikely, which is a big shame, and quite frankly, ridiculous.

Scenic Railway in Margate news

Yes I'm another one who does not think it will happen either.

5 years ago I think it would, but money is tight at the moment and investment will be hard to find now.

^ They've got the investment though, haven't they? Thats what the £10m from the goverment and lottery fund is for?

Its crazy that they're even having to consider this to be honest.

Yeah, they've got enough investment to get the park "open" with a minimum amount of working rides, but only if the council own the site.

It's the court costs that are the most ridiculous thing. Just give it a rest.

From UKRides:

After the public hearing earlier this year regarding a compulsary purchase order for the Dreamland site, all has gone quiet. However, the decision is expected in the next months of so.

The company who own the land MTCRC's have now changed their name to DreamlandLive and are trying to get the press on board with their new revised plans to create homes as well as keeping the Scenic and building a Carousel and a 4D cinema (ooohhh!!!)

Here is a link to a news story from the last 24hours showing a very overgrown scenic, which is horrible to see. It does however show some good reporting skills as the reporter commented "are these just the same plans". etc. Looking at the guys response / body language, you can see he is not very confident with his answer.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-0 ... dreamland/

Fingers crossed that the council and Save Dreamland get the decision so that work can commence

So it sounds like the MCTRMCMDC are a bit concerned that they wont get the decision in their favour, hence the changes...?

Yeah back in Feb or whenever they announced a decision would be announced in September. This latest bid to get the public on their side is hilariously awful. Let's hope the council/Save Dreamland team get the go ahead to make things happen.

I'm all for saving a historical coaster like the Scenic Railway, but Dreamland was a dog, it would have been put down years ago.

Seeing the coaster and park all overgrown is sad.

Why are they taking so long to make a decision?

Countless pettitions have been signed by many thousands, the Save Dreamland people have got a lot funding in place already, plus a few rides and its a seaside town that relies on tourism etc...?

Except one way it's going to be generating business for an entire town for many years to come while the other is going to offer housing with a thrill ride until they feel the need to put more housing in, thus removing the ride.

I'm deeply worried about this. Before it seemed quite clear that the council will get the site, but now I'm not so sure. People will be won over by that "our scheme pays for itself, the other costs money to the taxpayer", even though it's total bull. Like they said in the report, the money for the new Dreamland would come from lottery grants that have already been secured.

The current owners really are a bunch of **** , but they seem quite persuasive in their 'new form'.

Thought this was worth sharing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfEf5toNXi4&feature=plcp[/youtube]

YES. At long last it can become something worth visiting.

So happy about this news.

^Here here John. Me too!

I hope things can finally start looking up for them. Done properly this could be one of the most unique historical sites in the UK (perhaps the world, i'm not entirely sure). Where else can you effectively go to a 'museum' (or heritage site in its more apt term) and ride the classics. I know the naysayers have said this will not have an appeal but I beg to differ. If kids in Southend can get excited over a 900 year old ex-cluniac monastery, this will certainly appeal. If the kids are excited to go, then the adults will take them and along the way revisit their own childhood. Some of said how will it cope in the everchanging and updating climate of the theme park industry but I would argue that will just mean that they can update the rides with newer old rides.

I think the project has a massive appeal to all ages and I can't wait to see them get going with it! I am genuinely very excited by this. Its two of my favourite interestsw in life combined into one. Wahoo.

Brilliant!

Will see them there as soon as they get it open. Hoping for the Southport wheel!