What's new

Dreamland Margate News

On most old wooden coasters nearly all parts have been replaced over time - now here it has been happening in one big refurb. So I would guess it is still the original coaster. Otherwise one could have also argued for example The Giant Dipper at Belmont Park...

I have seen pics of the 20s, 30s and 50s from old German funfairs were showmen operated wooden coasters. And the only things permanent were the trains, chain and lift-engine - first steam, later electric - everything else was build from scratch for every new funfair...

Oh I see some lights there. I do hope they put them up along the whole length like with Lightning Racer. That would make night riding great and add to that seaside/amusement park look.

Have some photos from the weekend.
The cred may be pretty much there now but the park itself still looks in need of some landscaping

20150516_181954_zpskp0ergbc.jpg

20150516_182003_zpsrdpelsgy.jpg

20150516_182010_zpszt5oa6yk.jpg

20150516_182017_zpsfrvjmmvf.jpg

Martyn B said:
Ah yes, the Wacky Worm, that ever so famous vintage coaster type.

Well if you look at the Wacky Worm it is a rather famous model and must be the most produced type of coaster in the world... but yes, I thought the same when I looked at it!

Can't wait to get down to Margate... It might be a next year job though :)

Yes, it's confirmed. No Scenic Railway on 19th June but anybody who has a ticket will be given a free return ride on SR.

Looking forward to seeing the park on 19th, Scenic or no Scenic. There are some lovely rides there, especially the Littleboy restorations.

Really interesting article posted on the ECC fb page suggesting some of the reasons behind the delayed/balls-up of the opening.

It's quite negative but it does make some interesting points. Such as the fact that the not-for-profit Dreamland Trust no longer seem to be involved (the site is being taken over by a private company who will operate the park).

The suggestion seems to be that, it 'could' be more profitable for the park to fail and the land to be used for property development. Perhaps less effort is being made than there should be to get this off the ground.

http://greentargett.com/2015/06/13/dreamland-somnabulance/

What?!

So they've been granted all this money from the Lottery fund and the government, to build this park instead of a housing estate, yet it now has new owners that want it to fail so they can build a housing estate....?!

I certainly hope that isn't true. What a complete waste of national lottery money if that is what happens.

Possibly, or possibly just local people being cynical. More worryingly, if the article is correct, then the project is already £2.3M over budget and still behind schedule. Also, the operator contract isn't yet finalised. How can they open without knowing exactly who's in charge?! I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but still...

Re: Dreamland Margate Newds

Do you wanna here even worse news? Apparently a spinning mouse coaster has arrived on site...

That's odd. I saw that someone was trying to give them (for free) a vintage 1960s wild mouse which they turned down. Why would you buy loads of bland, new kiddy rides for a heritage park?

Anyway. Another cred...What's bad about that?

They probably should have just done the housing estate instead. Is there really a huge demand in Margate for this to reopen.

I remember visiting this park and riding scenic railway way back when I was 18 and dating a girl from Broadstairs. Margate wasn't the most picturesque seaside town I'd been to, has it improved over the last 10 years?

Nope.
Think I read somewhere that it has the highest unemployment rate in the country. They keep trying to make it better (the new Tracy Emin art museum for example), but the town has major problems.

Is it really going to pull in the visitors to make the investment worthwhile? I'm not so sure. It's a shame really. Is Scenic Railway a listed building? Are they allowed to demolish it?

I remember some parts in Broadstairs being quite nice, the beach etc but the sorrounding areas in Margate and Ramsgate weren't up to much

Broadstairs is really up and coming. I know several people who've moved there from London (arty types), and to Whitstable/Hastings. Margate however is a completely different beast.

The Scenic is one of only 2 listed rides in the country I believe (the other being the Victorian water chute thing at Wicksteed). It was granted grade II listed status in 2002. So no, they can't demolish it. Plans are floating about however (from before the heritage park was allowed) of a housing estate with the ride in the middle.

A2273_N26(1).jpg