What's new

Dreamland Margate News

I'm shocked that a project in the UK is running late and over budget. Shocked!

Rip it the f**k down. What's the actual point?

The staff couldn't actually be trying any harder to get the park open on time with as much running as they can - I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

I emailed the chairman of Dreamland about "when will The Whip & Wild Mouse" be up n running in the park, his reply was:

We do have the ex-BPB Whip and key elements of the former Southport Wild Mouse. The Whip is earmarked as a future restoration project, but we don't have a date for that. The Wild Mouse ride still exists in part but after surveys and feasibility work, most of the ride would have needed to be rebuilt from scratch, which would have been hugely expensive and require massive amounts of new material. Therefore, although parts still exist, the likelihood of it being rebuilt is relatively low (but not completely zero).

Regards
Nick Laister

Just saw the locals news report about the reopening. I could see in the back ground some boats similar to the River Caves at BPB, and the seating arrangement for an Ejector seat/reverse bungee attraction....

Oh the irony! Dreamland ended up in such trouble because, if I recall it correctly, the then owner had successfully applied to have the designation of the site changed to allow residential development, then put forward the plans for the scenic to be stranded in a sea of housing.

The Save Dreamland campaign then kicked in, "saved" the park and got the whole Heritage Park idea going.

And now, just days before the park is due to re-open, it appears that the company taking over the park has the option of, erm, building housing around the scenic if the amusement park fails.

Do I have this correct?

^^ Going by that link Sue posted, yes, that's pretty much it.

But I wonder how legit that article is? Dreamland has been on the local news a lot this week, and there's been no mention of any of that doom and gloom on the tv.

I had a great time there on opening day - just got back and REALLY wished I'd got a ticket for the evening party as well.

The opening was delayed as they were finishing off the walkways next to rides where they had just finished putting up the last of the fences. There were tipper trucks of gravel driving around. Tractors were carrying out the temporary fencing. Newly-finished kiosks were being stocked. It's incredible that they opened at all, but open they did and it was a great afternoon all 'round! So pleased to see the park up and running after all these years where doubt and uncertainly reigned.

There were problems, sure, but it is clear that once these have been ironed out, Dreamland is going to be a huge asset to Margate. I can't wait to get back there!

I just don't get how or why you would cut it that fine? Putting signage up, painting, laying bricks installing arcade machines an hour before opening is just rediculous? :lol:

Anyway glad to hear it went off well and I really hope the park is a huge success. I shall be visiting as soon as they get that new woodie up and running :p

I am hoping to make a trip when everything is up and working. I hear the wheel and Whacky Worm is now in operation.

2dj44n6.jpg

Just taking a casual walk in the station of the new Scenic Railway.

The park truly impressed me with the cohesive 50's vintage theme, it looks absolutely fantastic. When it's fully complete, it'll be a true gem to the UK theme park industry - can't wait to visit more.

Really pleased that Dreamland has re-opened.

I hear that a second train has been commissioned for the Scenic as well.