What's new

Diamondback - B&M Hyper for Kings Island

Personally I think roller coasters look better in the winter.

Nothing makes the color look more vibrant than newly fallen snow.

Nice spot CoasterStreak!

As I mentioned in the General Discussion forum, I am headed out to Kings Island to have a sit down with their Public Relations Manager Don Helbig, interviewing him on the construction of Diamondback and Kings Island's plans for 2009.

Please submit any questions you would like me to ask!

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/view ... hp?t=25153

Diamondback%20021709%20015.jpg

The rest.
http://www.kidiamondback.com/public/lat ... nstruction

The blog:
http://www.kidiamondback.com/public/latest/blog/

That's probably my new favorite train right there. I'm so glad they did the snake head theming on the nose like in the renderings. Those fangs look great and the colors are lush!

It does look much better in real life than in the concept rendering.

I absolutely love the zero car!

Will they be doing a pull through on Diamondback. For the most part I've only followed the construction of Cedar Point coasters all of which were Intamins. Is it normal to see a pull though on a B&M Hyper?

Yeah. I don't know if it is law, but I think.. and knowing CF, it is required.. they do it for safety.

As if there is a law mandating a pull through, I am not sure, but a pull through is imminent with any new roller coaster as you obviously do not want for there to be able possibility of trains and/or rider touching the surrounding tracks and supports.

From my interview with Don Helbig, don't expect to see a pull through within the next week, but it will happen sooner than later.

Also, the second train has been mounted with the third soon to be loaded. Notice the differing color of the two trains.

Picture5-8.png

I also was able to grab these two pictures of Diamondback during my interview, the queue and station are going up at break neck speed.

HPIM1849.JPG

HPIM1851.JPG

To be frank, this coaster is massive, an absolute icon that dominates the park.

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like Apollo's Chariot in the last photo?

And OMG, the trains. I'm in love.

I still say this will be THE coaster of 2009.

^ That's what Kings Island is hoping for.

I am working on transcribing the interview over, Don was awesome to talk with and offered some great insight to Kings Island's philosophy with Diamondback.

Actually, it kind of does look like it with the way the light is. The only difference is the lift angle and the absence of a predrop.

I like the area they chose for the queue, even though the other side would be better. Maybe they'll still put some queue on that side. Hopefully they build their queue a lot larger than Behemoth's, because that Behemoth's can probably hold an hour max.

What is the color of the second train? It looks like a deep red or a gray, but I can't tell.

I have now been able to post the Don Helbig interview. Sorry for the delay.

http://www.coasterforce.com/home/p2_articleid/654

In further news, the Diamondback blog reports to keep your eyes peeled on the webcam as initial testing is expected to begin shortly.

We are certainly coming down the final stretch with this coaster!

Just read some of the things Don has said...
He seems a little deluded with some of the outlandish comments he's made. However, it was a good read!

Other parks may have more coasters but as far as best wood, best steel I think this will be the park to have both of those.

... uh...

At least they didn't claim to be better than Disney like a certain other ex-Paramount park with King's in the title...

^ How can KI claim that this and Beast are the best wood and steel coasters? Since when has Beast been the best wooden coaster in the world? It came 56 in Mitch Hawker's Poll? And I highly doubt that this will overtake SRoS or Eagle's Fortress for the best steel coaster. It will be good, but not that good.

The driving point is that the Beast often makes majority of the top 10 wooden polls, and Diamondback will have the potential for the same effect in the steel category.

Not many parks can say that they have a highly rated wooden AND steel coaster.

Realize, it is Don's job to advertise the park and show it in the best light. Don't you think this would effect his responses? ;)

The fact of the matter stands that Kings Island has a damn good wooden coaster and will have a damn good steel coaster.

^IE: Kings Island is finally getting something of substance in their park. They have a lot of quanity (this even holds true with Beast's length) they just severely lack in terms of quality. I'm glad they listened to their guests and got a coaster worthy of this decade...