What's new

Chessington World of Adventures holding public consultation regarding “current proposals and new developments” - potential new attraction?

With the success of Super Nintendo World, I'm not surprised that Merlin will want to look at a major video game IP for a huge area. Minecraft does sound right for the Chessington target audience and has the potential to really put Chessington on the map along with Project Play which could also be an IP. It also has the potential to grow Chessington's target market slightly.

The success of Super Nintendo World was from how authentic and immersive the area is.

I'm worried that this will fall short. With Sonic Spinball, that seemed like a quick soft retheme of Spinball Whizzer.

I'd love to see a park take on the Sonic IP again to the same level and effort as Super Nintendo World or Minecraft. A clone of the original Blue Fire at Europa Park would make a fantastic headline coaster for such an area with the layout being similar to Green Hill Zone.

That is a good point, I would guess the Sonic IP is now unattainable since 2020 and the huge success of the Sonic the Hedgehog movies. Merlin dropped the ball by using the IP in 2009 for just a quick retheme of Spinball Whizzer.. That IP deserves it's own land and they could have ridden off the back of the popular movies. Wasted opportunity for Merlin there..

As much as I love the Wild Asia theme and I think it fits in with the overall park aesthetic better than a Minecraft area. Minecraft is hugely popular with kids and will appeal to them way more than an Asia theme. I can see it being a massive success for them and hopefully it has the budget to be an overall immersive land that does the IP justice.

I think Super Nintendo World is quite a tall order given that the budget for Super Nintendo World was probably 10 times what Merlin can realistically afford.

Hopefully Mojang will hold Merlin to a high standard (with how popular Minecraft is, I think they can afford to be picky), but I think expecting a Super Nintendo World calibre area is an unrealistic ask given the scale of Chessington versus any of the Universal parks.

If they produce something that is high quality and stands out on the regional theme park stage (i.e. not Disney or Universal), I think that’s realistically about as good as we can expect from a park of Chessington’s scale.
That is true however for something as huge as Minecraft, Merlin will need to put in a lot of effort to create the most authentic Minecraft themed area possible.

It doesn't need Super Nintendo World budgets but it does need a considerable amount to make a authentic Minecraft themed area.

That is a good point, I would guess the Sonic IP is now unattainable since 2020 and the huge success of the Sonic the Hedgehog movies. Merlin dropped the ball by using the IP in 2009 for just a quick retheme of Spinball Whizzer.. That IP deserves it's own land and they could have ridden off the back of the popular movies. Wasted opportunity for Merlin there..
I do think a Sonic themed area was a missed opportunity. I think a multi-inversion launch coaster would've been the most authentic coaster to include for the IP.

Especially with the huge success of the movies in recent years and the potential of a bigger success later this year with the 3rd movie.

I can imagine Sega will look for a theme park operator to take on the IP in the future. 🤔

There is definitely a gap there that needs addressing sooner than later

I'm hoping that this consultation would have at least one family coaster (hopefully two but let's not push it)

Even if it's one of those classic Zierer Force models ☺️
there's currently at least 2 vekoma 247m jr coasters and a zierer force coaster listed on used ride websites, they could buy one of those

there's currently at least 2 vekoma 247m jr coasters and a zierer force coaster listed on used ride websites, they could buy one of those
I'm not so sure they'll go secondhand unless it's in-house (at another Merlin park) 🤔

Tussauds have done it with Zodiac 2.0 at Thorpe Park which came from Drayton Manor however I don't think it's been done in over a decade at least.

Judging by that turn the layout isn't a clone of anything. With the way it rises up and how the height scales up next to the building, we can definitely assume there's a launch. Which means we can at the very least rule out Vekoma since that's not their family LIM launch coaster track. Think everyone's in agreement about this being both custom and Intamin. Fits their modus well.

Judging by that turn the layout isn't a clone of anything. With the way it rises up and how the height scales up next to the building, we can definitely assume there's a launch. Which means we can at the very least rule out Vekoma since that's not their family LIM launch coaster track. Think everyone's in agreement about this being both custom and Intamin. Fits their modus well.
Project Play is plausible for a junior rollercoaster with a generic layout such as Zierer Forces, Zamperla Gravity or Vekoma Juniors.

Project Refresh and Renew's coaster is most certainly an Intamin Multi Dimension Coaster.