What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider *UPDATE PAGE

wasn't there a huge debate over the same thing with T Express and El Toro a few years back? Come on people. Numbers don't make the coaster, the experiences do.

steel

Mega Poster

ava1enzue1a said:
steel said:
Raptor, Gemini, and Top Thrill Dragster (speaking of names that are ACTUALLY not very good).
:?
Was referring specifically to Top Thrill Dragster there, not Raptor and Gemini, sorry. I mean, "Top Thrill Dragster?" Really? Millennium Force and Wicked Twister are not much better either. :p

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster

Here's a comment from left field: I want to know how they will be changing the pavilions where the inclined dive loop will be! I use the same pavilion/spot every time I go :lol:

Ethan

Strata Poster

Hyde244 said:
Ethan said:
That is the most awkward Q&A session ever. She knew nothing :D
Questions were fielded by the press, majority of whom are not coaster experts. It isn't that Annie (who I believe you are talking about) doesn't know her info, but was simply feeding easy pitches for Monte to answer and explain concepts that weren't being asked.

On the height issue; Wild Eagle is the tallest Wing Coaster in the world, GateKeeper has the tallest drop in the world.

Haha I wasn't being serious! It was the way she stood there looking around awkwardly after the first couple of questions.

A

Anonymous

As far as i see it, dollywoods is taller but "gate keeper" has the tallest drop and is the fastest of its kind :)
Sounds good, always love rides that go over an entrance, really will add to a wait at the gate for opening when it's testing!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

coaster_rider93 said:
Here's a comment from left field: I want to know how they will be changing the pavilions where the inclined dive loop will be! I use the same pavilion/spot every time I go :lol:

That question also came up. The answer: we're working on it. The western pavilion (the one you mentioned) should most likely be clear of the layout, but it is still unclear how it will work out with the eastern pavilion, which will approximately be around where the flatspin is.

bmac

Giga Poster

See through pavilion roof under the gigantic flat spin!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

It'll be interesting to see where they put the season pass processing center. There's quite a lot of stuff they're going to have to move around to get this all packaged together.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Antinos said:
It'll be interesting to see where they put the season pass processing center. There's quite a lot of stuff they're going to have to move around to get this all packaged together.
At least in the CG rendering, Guest Services and the Season Pass Center are left untouched, with the dive loop passing in between the Season Pass Center and Picnic Pavilions.

We shall see how construction progresses and exactly what portions of the main gate get revamped.

I worked in Guest Services in 2009, and we did have some structural problems, such as the wall filling with water after a hard rain storm. We often joked that the building was only held up by the wallpaper and Golden Tickets. :razz:

This coaster is a great opportunity for Cedar Point to properly rebuild all of its front park buildings, many of which have not had TLC for a long time.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

An update on DT demolition:

Only the lift hill, first drop, and second turn remain of the roller coaster, with all other track and structures totally deconstructed and removed. Construction fence work has not been erected around DT, Troika, and Space Spiral to keep the area clear while DT comes down. I imagine this fence work will be moved back once the entire DT structure has been removed, reopening Troika and Space Spiral.

bmac

Giga Poster

I thought space spiral was getting torn down, too? Was there enough outrage to keep it or will it be an offseason job? Troikas <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Space Spiral will still close for good on Labor Day and be dismantled during the off-season.

While it has yet to be 100% confirmed, Cedar Point's best guess at taking down Space Spiral is via controlled demolition aka having it fall onto the soon-to-be vacant DT lot.

I warned CP that should this be the case, it would be fantastic to see a video of the demo!

bmac

Giga Poster

We can faintly see it via the TTD webcam, just need to know the time :D

Luxornv

Mega Poster

steel said:
ava1enzue1a said:
steel said:
Raptor, Gemini, and Top Thrill Dragster (speaking of names that are ACTUALLY not very good).
:?
Was referring specifically to Top Thrill Dragster there, not Raptor and Gemini, sorry. I mean, "Top Thrill Dragster?" Really? Millennium Force and Wicked Twister are not much better either. :p

The name is a play on words. It has a drag racing theme, and there is a class of cars referred to as "top fuel dragster." I think it works well.

Looks like I might be taking a ride out here next season for this. I don't think I normally would go just for one new coaster, but my niece wants to go, and I'll have more vacation time from work that I could possibly do a multi park trip again. It will probably be a good ride and offer a good ride experience, but I don't see this really being anything special. Try to tell that to the Cedar Point fanboys though.

SoMuchWin

Mega Poster
The simulation makes the ride look like it's lagging through the course, so I'm not expecting much. But then again it might pull a Leviathan on everyone... Maybe, just maybe...

steel

Mega Poster

Luxornv said:
steel said:
ava1enzue1a said:

The name is a play on words. It has a drag racing theme, and there is a class of cars referred to as "top fuel dragster." I think it works well.
Yes, I understand the pun, that doesn't make it a good one.