What's new

Canada's Wonderland | Yukon Striker | B&M Dive Coaster

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Pear you're literally the only one here with that opinion. Valravn was the epitome of mediocrity. The vests certainly didn't help.

This looks pretty nice. Layout looks really good for a dive coaster.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
I hate how some B&M's seem to stick a MCBR in the last 20% of the track length. In this video there are 14 more seconds of ride time between the MCBR and Blocks.

Behemoth has that going on as well. Leviathan has what feels like it should be a MCBR- but it just goes right into the final brake run. I guess they wanted to keep the theme going?

Re: Vest restraints - they do suck a lot of joy out of the ride experience. I enjoyed Griffon and Sheikra a lot more than Valravn, despite the better layout and added height on the latter.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah holy crap! A lot of those names go way back. I do love @Ben with his first comment about Dive Machines stopping. A decade later and they haven't stopped. There are a ton of hot takes in there as well. And for maybe the first time, UC was actually wrong about something! I may text him. :p

The irony is I love Dive Machines and think they should be everywhere haha. Womps.

I think this looks great. Absolutely gigantic Dive Machine and people still go ‘meh’ what’s wrong with yall.

Fun additional fact - the vest restraints are revolting.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Vest restraints are gross, but the ones on Valravn didn't ruin the ride for me at all. Barely noticed them in fact. It's vest restraint combined with dull wing coaster that's the worst combo.

Anyway. That massive Zero G roll on this looks amazing!

kenny cook

Mega Poster
For everyone concerned about how the animation looks regarding the 2nd half, just remember how bad Twisted Cyclone looked animation wise and then how solidly it turned out. Plus, with how smooth and flow-y the first half looks, it definitely appears that the 2nd half was just thrown into the animation with jerky turns and lackluster pacing, so let's just wait to see it built before we critique the drop's steepness and other things

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
For everyone concerned about how the animation looks regarding the 2nd half, just remember how bad Twisted Cyclone looked animation wise and then how solidly it turned out. Plus, with how smooth and flow-y the first half looks, it definitely appears that the 2nd half was just thrown into the animation with jerky turns and lackluster pacing, so let's just wait to see it built before we critique the drop's steepness and other things
Completely different type of coaster, but ok. If you’re saying it’ll turn out different than the animation (smoother at least, probably not an element change), I agree with you.

Snoo

The Legend

People are basing their opinions off of dozens of B&M creations with literally the same setup. I don't know if you've been on a turn-around and mediocre airtime hill on a B&M but thats exactly what that ending will be. You don't need to ride it to get a gist when you literally have other examples that exist. Plus.. as the ride KILLS the first half.. to come to a complete stop absolutely destroys pacing.. just for a **** turn and airtime hill and block sectioning. What a waste we ALL know will be a **** ending.

Ben

CF Legend
What I don’t get is... Sheikra hardly has a groundbreaking ending, nobody cares. No one really cares about Gatekeeper’s ****ty ending?

Who cares when what comes before it is so good? Would you rather it hit the brakes earlier and did more elements slowly rather than fast?

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
This is actually pretty interesting, you can see the track in the tunnel and some of the construction site. Evidently he learned that the lift hill will be completed by Labor Day, but we all know how trustworthy that is.
And yes @Snoo , I endured the whole video this time.

kenny cook

Mega Poster
People are basing their opinions off of dozens of B&M creations with literally the same setup. I don't know if you've been on a turn-around and mediocre airtime hill on a B&M but thats exactly what that ending will be. You don't need to ride it to get a gist when you literally have other examples that exist. Plus.. as the ride KILLS the first half.. to come to a complete stop absolutely destroys pacing.. just for a :emoji_poop: turn and airtime hill and block sectioning. What a waste we ALL know will be a :emoji_poop: ending.

Yeah, it's not the greatest ending ever, but I think people will be pleasantly surprised when the MCBR doesn't fully stop the train, the MCBR dive is almost vertical like all the others, the airtime hill has a bit of floater, and the helix has some nice speed, as we all know that animations can be highly inaccurate. What would have been fantastic is if they took Valravn's post MCBR layout and plunked it on here, that would have been spectacular, however, that'll be my choice the next time I feel like paying $30 million for a new B&M dive

Edward M

Strata Poster
Ugh, you people will complain about anything. It was obvious it was going to a B&M Dive Machine, but this looks like the best one, at least in North America. It's weird, dives underwater through another coaster's helix and has a loop (which I love). It definitely won't be entering my top 30, but it's really good for what it is. I also quite liked the extra bit after the MCBR, the ride is mostly over at that point anyway, so it's just an extra bit of fun.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I am not really impressed by this. Despite the overhyping of this, I sort of knew this would be another solid B&M but nothing extraordinary.

The only elements that really stand out for me are:
- The drop (not into the water) into the helix, for aesthetical reasons.
- The massive loop, for the novelty.

The rest is just a way of collecting records. And besides knowing that the MCBR is there for capacity reasons, I can't wrap my head around how uninteresting some of the after-MCBR bits are: Gatekeeper, Intimidator, Shambhala, looking at you... It would be interesting to analyse how B&M has shifted their MCBR sections over the years towards the end of rides. I guess having them literally mid-ride (DK, Montu, Kumba, Hulk, Raptor) breaks the flow of the coaster and it doesn't really add any capacity since most parks don't dispatch trains fast enough for MCBR to be needed that early into the ride. So, by shifting them towards the end, you are still adding an extra block, don't kill the ride's pacing and still give the crew a way to hit interval more easily?

Also, am I the only one that was expecting the coaster to AT LEAST interact with the lake a bit more by having a splashdown section? Even if it was a fake one...

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
I would like to see B&M start to take a Banshee approach to their new coasters. Banshee has no MCBR but instead has that fly through-block after the helix. It allows for 3 train capacity, makes interval actually possible to hit (allowing for theoretical dispatch to actually be a thing) and takes away pacing issues. Or they could be like Intamin and not think about blocks at all until after the ride is built ;)

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
Just to touch back on the vest restraints, I didn't notice them when I rode Valravn, and can't really think of a distinct difference when comparing them to other DMs I've done. That being said, I only got one ride in the back row I'm not sure how the holding brake in the front feels. I imagine you still get plenty of hang time?

As for the name, not a huge fan but it's much better than "The Ledge."

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
All the people complainig about the post-MCBR bit... It was either that, or a really long brake-run. They need the blocks for 3 train operation.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
All the people complainig about the post-MCBR bit... It was either that, or a really long brake-run. They need the blocks for 3 train operation.

Well, there certainly could have been alternatives. Like a short MCBR after the vertical loop, and then a Wing-Coaster-esque Dive Loop into the 2nd half. I mean, the DM-Trains are pretty much as wide as the Winged Trains, and it would have been a much better intro for the 2nd half, as these pseudo 2nd drops really don't serve a purpose at all, especially when they are being dwarfed by the first drop.

codeman94

Mega Poster
I could be wrong on the number of trains Valravn runs, but I have seen it stack up several trains on that final break run before unloading. I bet this one will have the same thing.