What's new

Canada's Wonderland | Yukon Striker | B&M Dive Coaster

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^I have to be the guy to say that it's a rider-cam POV, not a reverse POV. I came in here expecting to see the track behind the train, not the riders on the train.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Looks.. there? I mean I haven't been overwhelmed with this thing since announcement. It's exisiting.
Maybe so, but I'm sure the first drop will be / is <3 ...and that's all I care about on a Dive Machine :p rest is just filler.

I just hope the vest isn't awful like on Valravn

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Watching the videos, the green has grown on me, the brown..has not, along with the weird pre-lift KINK.

BUT! I don't hate the whole package at all, it looks like a huge crowd pleaser, no1 can deny that drop is a real spectacle and the GP will eat it up. I also think the first half is paced really well.

I hope they amend the harshness of the MCBR though, it's the biggest buzz kill how it grips the train like 20 times then finally pulls it to a near stop before the mini-dive. I think it's shallow enough to allow abit more speed over it. Overall though it'll be a nice addition and a solid addition to the line-up imo.

snes2

Roller Poster
Looks great, but I do wish B&M would stop using vests, the best part of dive machines with the old restraints is being lifted out of your seat on the holding brake.

Snoo

The Legend
Maybe so, but I'm sure the first drop will be / is <3 ...and that's all I care about on a Dive Machine :p rest is just filler.

I just hope the vest isn't awful like on Valravn
But the drop is just.. there too? Yeah you get floater but it's nothing powerful. To be honest, I like AFTER that first drop on most DM's I've been on. Sheikra is a great example as it definitely powers around its course. Griffon and Valravn? Not so much.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I feel like Griffon's grace is a defining feature of the coaster. There is great airtime on the two vertical drops, as well as on that bunny hill just before the splashdown - Valravn has some on the two vertical drops, but due to the vest restraints I couldn't really feel it. The 270 degree roll on Valravn, however, that's just an awesome moment of hangtime in general.

bernatc22

Mega Poster
Thanks for the POV, @Pear. Camera still mounted a bit weird -hence the sakyness- but it's obvious the pacing is much better now than on those first test runs. I feel like this is one of the better DMs, wish it was something else, but oh well.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Seeing that POV really makes me wonder - what would Copperhead Strike at Carowinds have been like, had the park decided to NOT get rid of Whitewater Falls and instead have the coaster interact with the water attraction? It could've made for a much more interesting layout, if so!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Much better POV indeed.
Yup, I like the looks of it. Its not gunna be a top tier ride or anything but looks good, and a park finally learned (shame it took what 20 years) these dive coasters shouldnt run right into the MCBR and kill all the speed. Its prob not a forceful ride but least it does stuff and looks like some good hang time.
I did forget about the vest restraints, that did hold back Valravn, I preferred Sheikra actually due to the better restraints. But thats for another thread, this is how you should do a dive coaster.

Bartzabel

Roller Poster
Hey everyone! I've been lurking on these forums for years and decided to make one, mainly since I rode YS on Wednesday (invited by friends) and Friday (Season pass holder). I did not get any pictures since my phone is currently getting repaired, but here are my thoughts on the ride. I rode it 6x (2x each row) and for sure the front is the best.

- I'm not the biggest fan of Dive coasters, but YS is definitely different compared to others. The pacing was phenomenal, you get great hangtime/airtime and finally, there's a dive coaster with a different layout.
- The drop into the tunnel is insane and is a very tight fit. There's a height limit of 77" on this ride and that is due to the tight fit of the tunnel primarily.
- The zero-G winder is intense, a ton of hangtime on that.
- Vertical loop feels different on the outer seats, much more intense.
- You pull some good forces through the ride, but the second Immelmann is the most intense IMO.
- Yes, you do get airtime on that small hill at the end, it is standard floater air, and the helix is fun.
- Vest restraints DO NOT lock on you nor get tighter on the ride. B&M modified them to make them looser and will use the same restraints on future rides. I got much more hangtime and airtime on this ride than Valravn.

Overall: 10/10, a great addition to the park and much needed. Is it the best DM out there? 100%. Frontier Canada is almost complete and the area looks fantastic, it also shows how CF is slowly starting to theme their rides more. Going from what we've seen with Copperhead and YS, future rides in other CF parks will be getting nice theming. On a side note, CW is for sure getting more investments in the future, there was lots of talk during the media day that YS is the beginning, and with the resort opening in 2020, don't be surprised if another major coaster opens up relatively shortly after that.

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
- The drop into the tunnel is insane and is a very tight fit. There's a height limit of 177cm on this ride and that is due to the tight fit of the tunnel primarily.

I just looked this up because 177cm/5ft9in seemed incredibly low. The max height restriction is actually 77inches (approx. 195cm/6ft5in), which is fairly standard for many coasters these days.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Am I the only one more intrigued by the moving bin system than the coaster itself?

Solid addition to Canada's Wonderland, for sure. I would not have picked this model though.

Last edited:

Bartzabel

Roller Poster
An interesting note about YS. The ride was purchased by CF in 2015 to open in 2016, but it got delayed. Now CW has a ton of money saved up and they'll be using that on upgrades (they've upgraded the hell out of the park this year), kids expansion/water park expansion plus the hotel next year. The park is in expansion mode, so I wouldn't be surprised if CW gets a new coaster in 2022.

Matt N

CF Legend
An interesting note about YS. The ride was purchased by CF in 2015 to open in 2016, but it got delayed. Now CW has a ton of money saved up and they'll be using that on upgrades (they've upgraded the hell out of the park this year), kids expansion/water park expansion plus the hotel next year. The park is in expansion mode, so I wouldn't be surprised if CW gets a new coaster in 2022.
Interesting; thanks for the info @Bartzabel! That might potentially explain why SkyRider was removed in 2014, and it's certainly exciting if Yukon Striker is the start of a huge expansion at Canada's Wonderland!

Bartzabel

Roller Poster
If I'm remembering correctly, the ride we know as Valravn was originally intended for Canada's Wonderland and the project got moved to Cedar Point. This led to a new project which we know became Yukon Striker. I can't quite recall where I heard that, but I think we did a podcast covering the topic (BTW we're on Spotify now!):

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2DM48ZyYVzq7pU796CdKT0?si=VAV4WdavTQeD65n8JIj_ug

YS was custom made for Canada's Wonderland by the GM and Walter Bolliger back in 2014. It was probably going to be YS 2016, Valravn in 2017/2018 but that got scrapped. I guess it was a blessing in disguise since now the park has a lot of money left over and saved from 2015 that it's getting a huge upgrade with theming and infrastructure. I also think Wonder Mountains Guardian is getting some TLC, and I hope it is cause it's already unreliable and it's only been 4 (soon to be 5) years since it opened.