What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Re: Leviathan - B&M giga coaster for Canada's Wonderland

^^^ Looking at the post at the bottom of that page, user jacksplatt has posted a couple of pictures of the actual lift hill pieces:

jacksplatt from CWMainia said:
007.jpg

Wow.. Thats gotta be the largest track spine on a B&M to date?? I didn't realise it was going to be so huge!

D1993

Hyper Poster

I think the color scheme does look slightly weird together - but I kinda like that!
It will stand out in the park (well either way it would have). It may look a little odd, but I dont think it looks bad.
And that B&M track IS huge! Cant wait to see the lift gill put up!

Snoo

The Legend

Guess we'll see next year but I do agree.. it just doesn't have the transition from track to support like it should.

Also.. holy jesus that track is big. Reminds me of Goliath at SFoG with the track over the road.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Another interesting thing that I've noticed because of that picture is the chain return.. Normally on above track B&Ms, the chain is returned back to the lift motor over the shortest distance possible, rather than looping back through the spine:

nk8jimtr70ntti3340062g.jpg

k21etjkavhof1i001199pb.jpg

I believe this was to stop extra strain on the lift chain, but I may be wrong?

Now, looking at pictures of the track spine on Leviathan, you can see that the chain will indeed be returning back through the track, rather than hanging down underneath like previously done. I wonder why that is?

Edit: Looking, I've noticed that Krake does it too:
1gbokslnepq8gn4hoj001g.jpg

...rather than like this:
d8ck51td800c6l75drme18.jpg

Xpress

Strata Poster

Raptor has no chain return track either:

8l5nc0069oh35ucbp1af28.jpg

Perhaps B&M is going for a cleaner look now. Or it may be a cost thing, I have noticed that a lot of B&M's have the supports built in a way so that the chain guide doesn't have to cut into the support.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

^ Yes it does... that's why I didn't bring that ride up, you can see it in the picture you posted. Its slightly different in the fact it only takes out the top crest, rather than taking it straight back down to the motor, but its still got one.

Maybe we'll see something similar on leviathan, but there's nothing in the animation, so I can't tell.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Its nothing really big, but on the official website they have added some photos with different angles etc of the track that has been placed.

http://leviathan.canadaswonderland.com/public/latest/

Also in the blog it was mentioned that 55% off all the footers are done and that the next week they will be focusing on the station and the bottom of the lift hill.

Snoo

The Legend

I'm wondering the size of that chain.. has to be enormous.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

It doesn't look like the lift hill is rising at a quick slope. Does it get sharper as it goes up ? I know Behemoth gets sharper only slightly near the top. Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to make it rise at a faster rate to save land space?

Xpress

Strata Poster

Crazycoaster said:
^ Yes it does... that's why I didn't bring that ride up, you can see it in the picture you posted. Its slightly different in the fact it only takes out the top crest, rather than taking it straight back down to the motor, but its still got one.

Maybe we'll see something similar on leviathan, but there's nothing in the animation, so I can't tell.

Well yeah, I'd imagine they run into complications with the shape of the track and the tensions involved...

Lofty

CF Legend

I can't actually agree more with people's opinions on the colouring. There's not actually THAT much of a difference in "reality" between the two colours, compared to the Graphic.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ I think the colors will look fine at the end of the day. It will be bold and stand out, and look kind of quirky and funky, but still really cool.
I cant wait to see the size of the chain.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I would be fine with the color, only if the rails were a different color. I actually like the spine and the supports having such similar colors, but the rails make it too much.

I hate the colours as of now, but I think it will actually look really cool when it's put up. Wonderland has a really cool skyline if you drive in on the expressway, and I can only imagine how dominating and insane this coaster will look (especially since Behemoth looks massive from the expressway and is on the opposite end of the park).

Snoo

The Legend

I imagine it will look something like MF does when you drive down perimeter road.

AlienSpeedFiend

Roller Poster

Never been to Canada before but 2012 may see a change there. Something about this ride is beckoning me, much like Timmy 305 did last year. The colours don't bother me too much personally, its all about the on ride experience for me.

Anyone been to this park before & would you rate it?

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

AlienSpeedFiend said:
Never been to Canada before but 2012 may see a change there. Something about this ride is beckoning me, much like Timmy 305 did last year. The colours don't bother me too much personally, its all about the on ride experience for me.

Anyone been to this park before & would you rate it?

Its my home park :p . Wonderland has a lot of coasters (16 with Leviathan) but you have to keep in mind most of them are copies of other rides. There's a stand-up togo, a SLC Vekoma, a classic Arrow looper, a hyper by B&M, 3 woodies, a mack wild mouse, Zamperla flyer, an arrow suspend, a Vekoma boomerang, and a handful of kiddie coasters. The park is also has pretty good theming swell and some horrible shows. Overall i'd probably give it an 7.5/10 but with Leviathan being built I'd bump that up to an 8.

Ben

CF Legend

I really, really liked Canada's Wonderland. It's weird, because, apart from Behemoth and Vortex the coasters were all vulgar and offensive, but, it's just a really nice park to be in and spend a day in.

Leviathan is just... not what they need. They're crying out for a looping coaster that doesn't also rearrange your spine, but, alas...

A101

Mega Poster

Ben said:
Leviathan is just... not what they need. They're crying out for a looping coaster that doesn't also rearrange your spine, but, alas...

I am so with you on that, we just got high+fast, we need loops, like a floorless or an Intamin LSM like Maverick. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to ride Leviathan, but if I had to choose between something like this and something like Kraken? I'd choose the latter any day.