What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | InvadR | Family GCI

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
peep said:
I think they mentioned in their passholder announcement thing that they wanted to let everyone choose the name but due to copyright reasons they had to pre-select three for everyone to choose from. I reckon the proper spelling was already copyrighted to something?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

To be fair if they'd let the public decide we would have ended up with "Coastery McCoaster Face" or "Hitler Did No Wrong: The Ride"

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
According to Screamscape and the sources that they got their information from Gwazi's Millenium Flyer trains are going to be re-used on this ride, as well as other parts from Gwazi.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
A nearly 20 year old ride that's been SBNO for a year being reused on a ride being built for 2017.

What can possibly go wrong?

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Oh shush, it's just the trains, brakes, lift motors, and hardware like that. Not like they're shipping the structure here or anything.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
CoasterMac305 said:
Oh shush, it's just the trains, brakes, lift motors, and hardware like that. Not like they're shipping the structure here or anything.
No, the structure is being used around their Florida parks for theming and construction! I think it's a cool idea to re-use bits of the the coaster, especially as it is eco-friendly, something which the SW parks like to be where possible.

(Would like a piece though, as I will actually miss the ride!)

I expect the name is meant to be pronounced as 'invader' anyway (which I think is a decent Viking coaster name) and they've just tried to be quirky.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
They uploaded an animated POV

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV1I3TEwC_s[/youtubevid]

Seems like a solid little ride to me.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I personally love it and think it will be a great addition. Having never been to park, not going to comment on it fitting, as I don't know the feel, but it very well could be the sleeper of 2017 as I feel it will be looked over. I expect a rise experience similar to Prowler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hutch

Strata Poster
It looks like good fun but I can't help but compare it to the smaller Gravity Group ones; they seem to do a better job fitting in more airtime in smaller places. That's not to say it'll be bad; it'll be great while it lasts (seems to have a solid pace too) but I just wish they did a little bit more.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Shocked by how short this actually is! Feel like another cheap investment like Tempesto. Judging by the comments on the parks facebook page it doesn't seem like the general public are happy with this addition either.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The toddlers are going are going to get their life. I hope the height restriction is sufficiently low. Does anyone know the standard Gci height restriction?

Lofty

CF Legend
Meh. Even for a small 'family GGI', this layout is dull. Look at White Lightning, yeah, I think it's crap, but at least it has a better, more fun layout than this.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It looks decent enough, and would be great in a smaller park. I just find myself less and less enthused with every new addition at either of the Busch-branded parks the more we see of them.

Across both parks, only Cheetah Hunt seems to be anything decent over the last few years, and that's now five years old; six by the time this woodie opens. That's also debatable based on the number of people who don't really rate Chunt that much.

I guess it's not really fair to put the two parks together since they're miles apart and clearly operate so differently. I'm thinking, especially, of Williamsburg's petty "no-Intamin" rule which has resulted in the installation of crap for the last few years.

I haven't ridden Verbolten, but the whole thing comes across as cheap to be honest, meaning that by the time InvadR (stupid name) opens, it will have been 10 years, and counting, since a really decent addition at the Williamsburg park.

A woodie is a great choice for the park, and something that they're sorely missing. I just think that this is a bit of a missed opportunity to do something really special.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's a nice Prowler-esque layout... but surely Busch Gardens can do better than a 74 ft. tall woodie? As Gavin mentioned, this, tempesto, the Mack drop tower are all great additions for smaller parks, but feel out of touch for a larger park such as BGW.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Are we still in the mindset that anything other than B&M and Intamin is cheap?

Verbolten is better than Thirteen. Could Intamin have made a better one without Alton's restrictions and dumb design concepts? Well, yeah, I'm sure they could have... But, Verbolten was a solid addition in my opinion. I'm a fan of it on many levels, but the most important thing is that it replaced Wolf to become the park's ONLY family coaster. (Well, I suppose Loch Ness counts.)

Why the hell was Busch Williamsburg ever short on family rides?

And that's why this thing could be a pile of absolute crap and still be the right decision.

Now, Tempesto and Mach Tower I don't get. Cheap thrill rides I don't get. Cheap hardware, cheap execution and adult audience is ... Just lame. But cheap hardware + thematic elements like Verbolten and a family audience? Yes. Especially when the ride experience lives up to expectation.

I'm not sure Invadr needs Verbolten levels of theming to work - the setting in the woods is kinda enough, but it would be awesome if it does a little more given its short length.

I'm just so surprised to see Busch do what I consider to be the right thing, that I'm perhaps a little over praising. Instead of giving us one large B&M, we're getting multiple smaller attractions. That's fine, because Busch lacked content. At the end of the day, the park still has 3 large coasters. What I'd really like to see them do is add another dark ride, but I don't think they ever will.

So whilst it seems like we're getting short straws compared to years gone by - compared to the likes of Griffon, Alpengeist and Apollo - honestly the park felt empty before. And ya know where else is the same? Dollywood. First time I went there, pre Wild Eagle, there really wasn't a whole lot to do. I wanted more like the Firehouse dark ride, I wanted the Topple Tower to be open. For a premium park, regardless of individual attraction quality or park scenic quality, I shouldn't feel like I had run out of stuff to do.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk