What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Sam-Wise

Roller Poster
Morning Folks,

I rode Icon on Tuesday morning at around 10:30 - I can only assume it was the time of day we rode, but I was incredibly underwhelmed - Not only with the force of the launches, but the layout and transitions in general, I've been on Taron so I understand the beauty of no inversions with that, but Icon is seriously lacking a couple more Inversions, there's too much meandering around the s bends at a slow pace, the second launch into the immelmann is fantastic - then it's back to strolling around the remainder of the layout - by the time we'd hit the brake run I was left underwhelmed and wanting more. I almost found myself waiting for that next inversion that never came, I was unaware before riding that there was only two, something that would never usually fuss me - but given the slow pace, I feel it's totally missing out. Friends of mine however rode yesterday, and did state it really comes into it's own when it warms up throughout the day - But on the whole, for me - the layout is poor and lacklustre for thrillseekers. I was at Europa last week so rode blue fire just two days before Icon, for me - Blue Fire is a better coaster, with better elements and transitions, and much stronger forces. Nonetheless - Pleasure Beach have done a great job in getting this thing built in the UK.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
First time I've heard anyone say Blue Fire is better. I felt myself being flung out of my seat all the way throughout the layout, seems to be happening for some people but not for others, not sure why. Could it be to do with size in the restraints? I have no idea.

Sam-Wise

Roller Poster
First time I've heard anyone say Blue Fire is better. I felt myself being flung out of my seat all the way throughout the layout, seems to be happening for some people but not for others, not sure why. Could it be to do with size in the restraints? I have no idea.

Yeah I definitely came out of my seat a couple of times, as expected, but that wasn't the concern for me, it was the lack of excitement in the layout, and lack of pace. I'm going to head back in a few weeks to get some later in the day rides, in hope of something a little more eventful and quick.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Lack of excitement certainly isn't a phrase I would associate with Icon, I finished the ride being thoroughly satisfied, everyone likes different things though I suppose which is great, personally I often find Nemesis a tad boring whereas most rave about it.

It is my first Mack launch coaster, so maybe it isn't as good as the others, I wouldn't know, although I found it much more exciting than the three Intamin launchers I have done :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmmm.

Rode it three times yesterday and I don't really know where to start with a review.

Perhaps a bit more oomph in the launches wouldn't go amiss? I'm keen to ride to a few more times on my next visit in June, just to see. Certainly a must-ride, has re-rideability and most suitable for novice thrill seekers, that's for sure. I put it in 4th position out of the Mack launch coasters I've been on.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
IMG_0159.jpg

amanda_up_close.jpg

Snoo

The Legend
I will say it does look incredibly underwhelming from the multiple POV's and offrides I've seen. While I probably won't be riding this puppy for a few years, I don't think I'd be missing out on anything crazy special.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Hmmm.

Rode it three times yesterday and I don't really know where to start with a review.

Perhaps a bit more oomph in the launches wouldn't go amiss? I'm keen to ride to a few more times on my next visit in June, just to see. Certainly a must-ride, has re-rideability and most suitable for novice thrill seekers, that's for sure. I put it in 4th position out of the Mack launch coasters I've been on.
Is that below operation enterprise? I am expecting it to be kind of similar to that without the boomerang launch bit.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I really can't believe some of the bad reviews, I'm at a loss for words, totally not what I expected the reviews to be like after riding it myself. Wow.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Don't get too upset! Not everyone is going to love every new coaster - that's often the way!
Yeah I know, I wasn't expecting people to worship it but man, some reviews don't even make it seem half decent.

Anyway, I'm going tomorrow so screw y'all haha :p

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah I know, I wasn't expecting people to worship it but man, some reviews don't even make it seem half decent.

Anyway, I'm going tomorrow so screw y'all haha :p

I mean.. it is kinda just there. It doesn't jump off the page like Taron or Helix did upon viewing. Plus, CF tends to be a wide variety of opinions and given what I've seen from those who aren't about to jump on the BPB bandwagon, it's just kinda there.

And tbh, its a cycle we've seen over the years with new coasters in the UK. When Wicker Man opened, I saw a number of people cream their pants when.. lets be honest.. its a kids ride. Same with Smiler.. Swarm.. etc etc.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
To be honest, though, it doesn't seem like anybody finds it a bad or boring ride per se. It seems like the consensus is "solid, but not outstanding", which is in the upper echelons for a UK coaster at any rate. It seems to be a well-built coaster that lives up to reasonable expectations, and it doesn't seem like its (to be fair, pretty narrow) design limitations have ruined it. Could it have been better? Sure, with a higher budget or more room to build on. Have we seen worse elsewhere? You'd have to be majorly disappointed to deny that. Will it be a hit with visitors in general? That seems pretty certain, which is a good thing considering what a revenue increase would enable the park to do in the future.