What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This might be one for @Lofty, he's pretty good with this sort of thing.

They're runes of some description.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Double, but fine.

Could this is the phrase "Be Chosen" (the two symbols for E work out)?

8BajJtq.jpg

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Could they be rune-like symbols for the current Big 6? From left: Nemesis, Thirteen, Smiler, Oblivion, Galactica, Rita

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I really like they're playing on the whole Secret Weapon thing. It's so goony, I love it. And for a lot of people, it will be a "world class experience".

So far this has not been party to the typical in-your-face, over-the-top, full of self-reverence marketing tripe we've seen in the past. It's like they're saying, "yes, we're building a new special roller coaster. We'll let you know more about it soon. Here are some of our past achievements." without the fire works, exaggerated hype and promise of it being the best thing since their last best thing.

Should it stay this way, when goons are tripping over themselves to be the FIRST to ride it on opening day, hopefully they'll enjoy the experience and fall in love with the ride itself and not the inflated misrepresentations which usually accompanies a Merlin coaster.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
...hopefully they'll enjoy the experience and fall in love with the ride itself and not the inflated misrepresentations which usually accompanies a Merlin coaster.
Preach! Although I think the GP would fall into that category too - many of my friends were left feels a bit underwhelmed by Thirteen. The Smiler, not so much, as it's a great visual piece, but the point still stands.

Will

Strata Poster
Looks like dark, horror film style marketing again too.
What a surprise(!)

All digs aside though, I can't deny this has made me a little curious. I have to keep reminding myself of how dull the layout is when I catch myself being excited about this.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
In which case, I'm still going for the "Be Chosen" cipher, for now. :p

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
If this is deff' a wicker man theme, then it fits in with the film/story of being chosen;
A part of the synopsis/storyline of the wickerman;
The parade ends at the site of the festival. Rowan is tied to a large tree, about to be burned. Edward rescues Rowan and they run away through the woods, but Rowan leads him back to Sister Summersisle. Sister Summersisle thanks Rowan for her help, and Edward realizes that the search for Rowan was a trap. Sister Willow is Sister Summersisle's daughter, and his fate was sealed many years ago, when Sister Willow chose him.

All can be found on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicker_Man_(2006_film) (I know it talks about the remake but same as)

scw55

Hyper Poster
Is "Experience" a throwaway word, or will the coaster have enhancements?
Looking at Thirteen, they can add a bit of drama to the coasters. Actually, Alton Towers has always been about the drama.

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ I'd assume "experience" is just the ride experience, nothing too special ;)

Really hoping this isn't Wickerman themed although it's looking likely... I was hoping for an African diamond mine theme but that's seemingly out of the question now!

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, experience is just a throwaway word to describe the act of feeling something and being there in the moment - I wouldn't read it as anything different.

scw55

Hyper Poster
At least it's not "World First" because then we'd be looking for washing machines.
That was funny. I suggested that idea on another forum back in SW7. My post was deleted and I was told to not post spoilers. I had no idea that someone had "leaked" the washing machine "fact". I just looked at the evidence of "World First", records being easily broken and Alton Towers likes to be weird. It's nice to have a new coaster being built where we can always say "It looks great" and no extra speculation. The only thing we're speculating on is theming, which is a lot more fulfilling.

Astro61201

Roller Poster
Oh... my... God...! Going to be flying through there at some speed, going to be brilliant, probably the best part so far!

spicy

Giga Poster
Awesome, guess it's going to be similar to the banking on White Lightning's turnaround but pulling up instead of banking down :)

4b7a741e14_full.jpg

Whilst looking at that train, with SW8 not being the biggest woodie I wonder if it is going to have these smaller 6 car trains? Not good for capacity but they fly around the track.