What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

The smiler reminds me of mechano. Not that it's a bad thing. It's just ever since I saw the trains I knew it felt familiar.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Love the view at the top of the lift hills. Makes this ride seem like the natural successor to the Corkscrew.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

Can't wait to ride it next month, hope the drop out the station will be in darkness to get the full "strobe" effect, they need to speed the lift hills up, the vertical is faster than the inclined one.. :--D

I wonder how people are going to cope with 14 inversions, the staff may give out "sick" bags for those who eaten before riding.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster

The indoor section looks to be the best in my opinion, I just hope the outside section is forceful. Plus, airtime hills <3

Lofty

CF Legend

^^ That's not gonna happen. If people have ate before riding, that's their faults. Not to mention the fact that they'll more than likely be queueing around for around 1-2hours before riding. Ha.

^ Really? A curved drop and a cork/inline is better than the WHOLE coaster? Just, no.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

sparky2u said:
I wonder how people are going to cope with 14 inversions, the staff may give out "sick" bags for those who eaten before riding.
Some might consider the long pause before the second lift hill a blessing ;)

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

This is one of the few times we've had a Pov and everyone is critizing how bland and slow it looks :wink:

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

As much as I love the look of this ride, I've got to admit some of the transitions and banking flows, especially in the second half look really bad. I tend to notice this stuff through working with No Limits, as it's hugely important to create a smooth ride.

For example, the banking flow of the second 'first drop's inline seems to twist 3/4ths of the way in one go, and then the final 1/4th as a separate. And there seems to be a jerky flow to the banking of both the Sea Serpent Roll and the second half of the Cobra. This unnatural flow of banking is usually what creates jerking and headbangs.

I guess I'll just have to see what it rides like, but from the looks of the pov, those parts are gunna be jerky..

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

God. Enthusiasts thinking they know more than professionals. How annoying!

But, seriously... Is there any good reason why rides are built that are jerky? Is it literally that it's been designed poorly, the translation from plans to reality or is there a reason for those design choices?

Ben

CF Legend

It just looks like a typical Gerstauler. You would think they'd have learnt how to make these things by now.

Still gonna be gross.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Ben said:
It just looks like a typical Gerstauler. You would think they'd have learnt how to make these things by now.
I wouldn't say it looks like a typical Gerstlauer, it's more like two typical Gerstlauers bolted together. Although it is one rollercoaster, the flow is fully disturbed by the second lift hill - just like The Ultimate and The Vampire.

In a roundabout way, it's a bit of a con to call it the first rollercoaster with 14 inversions. If it were a true rollercoaster, it would have one lift hill and coast to the brake run without the need of a second lift hill. It's a conjoined coaster.
abby-brittany-hensel-tlc.jpg

If this were at Flamingoland, Lightwater, Fantasy Island...anywhere except Alton and Thorpe, I think people wouldn't be creaming themselves over it and would be more critical.

Strip away the hype and you're left with two coasters bolted together that is manufactured by a company we all criticise for making rough coasters.

However, the same can be said about The Ultimate and The Vampire, both of which are generally well received.

nealbie

CF Legend

Are people creaming themselves though? I mean, apart from the usual Alton fangirls (but that can't be helped) all I've seen is realist reception. The odd bit of excitement about mud and footers, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I do agree about the two lift hills thing though. That's kinda cheating. Soon we'll be getting mine trains on steroids with 20 inversions! :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

^I'd do the one on the right, but be thinking about the one on the left ;)

melchi

Roller Poster

I think it looks like it'll be a solid addition to the Towers. Plenty of forces and head choppers all round.

One thing to remember when watching that POV is its a helmet mounted camera so the jerkiness is not due to dodgy transitions or bad track joints its purely because the chaps neck is succumbing to the G-forces that its being bombarded with.

I'm just waiting till I see the POV from the GoPro mounted on the front handrail.

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Actually, sometimes the mounted POV's are far worse. They rattle like hell, even on the smoother coasters out there.

I can't agree with Ian more. It really does look like a coaster of two halves. Best coaster in the UK? Doubtful. Best in the world? (As some Towers Fangirls (thanks Neal ;) ) describe it) far from it!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I think the actual ride is less important than what it stands for - which is what I've always said.

It's a fantastic installation at Alton, and it's a record that it will probably hold for a long time. It's really, really important - a record breaking pure thrill ride in a place that 2 years ago would have seemed impossible.

So it's incredibly exciting as a new ride for Alton, I'd say as important as Nemesis was for Alton and Colossus for Thorpe.

However, I suspect it will be like Colossus with a real split of opinions with most people thinking those who like it as a bit wrong in the head :lol:

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

^Agreed! The fact is that Alton desperately needed another top quality inverting coaster. This is a brilliant investment for the park.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Just as long as we're clear that it doesn't make it a good ride :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.