What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Am I the only one who got no air time on Speed?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

No, I never noticed any airtime either (but then i was quite focused on the pain instead).

I would happily write about Smiler...if there was bugger all to write about! It does look lush, but everyone's already said how sexy it is about a million times already.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Having ridden Speed in it's first few weeks of operation, I thought it was fun and smooth.

Having ridden SpongeBob on opening day, I thought the same.

When I rode SpongeBob a few years later, I realized the problem is Gertslauer Eurofighters age horribly.

marc

CF Legend

Yep that does seem to be the problem, but that's also down to the parks to replace wheels and maintain them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Nah, I also rode Speed in the opening few weeks and that gave me my initial opinion of "I hate that airtime hill" which was just cemented on later visits to the park ;)

marc

CF Legend

The bit I hate more than the rest on Speed is the need for the brake just so it can turn the opposite way than it should. Just think the coaster was a very poor design.

They do seem to have learnt from their early days......

I have got my hopes up for Smiler though as have quiet a few now.

Martyn B

CF Legend

You must have either not noticed it, or you were proper stapled in by the OTSR. The airtime on that hill is unlike any other airtime I have experienced. It's very, very brutal.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

marc said:
What?! You lot must be broken! Speed's airtime isn't the kind that is subjective like the butterflies in your stomach, it's the kind that is physical. Speed hurts my shoulders! I literally cannot fathom how that cannot be a universal experience on Speed, how odd.

I bet it's the same weird lot who get injured by Intamin's OTSRs. ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend

Somebody on Towerstreet noticed that in the game, the words "15 rotations" can be seen on that large spider thing.

QE6XCi7.jpg

Whilst it's obviously nothing official, so far the game is proving to be fairly accurate.

marc

CF Legend

There is still the secret part that none of us know about.

Joey I cannot move in the trains the restraints come done right on my shoulders so I cannot move.

Yet on Rita I get loads of airtime and others dont.

coasterboy

Mega Poster

Well, that's the washing machine element debunked.

From John Wardley's Twitter:
I have received several messages regarding a secret element. I am limited to stating that there will be no rotating features, at all.

EDIT: Yep, I'm an idiot for not realizing this was a fake account. Ignore this post :)

nadroJ

CF Legend

Am I the only one who thinks that it's pushing it a bit by saying that the word underneath 15 is actually rotations? I have pretty good eyesight and I would say that it's illegible from that pic.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

It looks like it says rotations to me. 15. Jesus.

On a slightly off topic but none the less interesting note, there's an article in an ancient copy of Park World magazine from 1998 I have about how weird it is that the inversion arms race had halted at 8. The article mentions "it's scientifically possible to go to 12." And, all this time on, I think it's funny we're only just seeing something go over 10, don't you?

I wonder why. Cost?

This year seems full of stuff we as enthusiasts have pushed aside and gone "pft, never gonna happen".

Smithy

Strata Poster

To squeeze 13 in that space is impressive. 14 moreso. 15 would be ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. If the backstory behind it is solid, possibly some sort of pre-show, then this could be brilliant from start to finish (in terms of marketing, hype etc...)

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

if it is 15.. then this ride has 50% more inversions than any other rollercoaster in the world. That's INSANE.

I love how this thing has gone up from 8 confirmed inversions to 14/15 in just a few days. Alton you sly dog!

marc

CF Legend

I'm still thinking there will be 16, as said before one for each rider.

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

As we know the game will have a 'Spin To Win' game in it. It will allow people to win prizes via a mini game in the actual Smiler game app which is to be released on Wednesday. Here are the Terms & Conditions that are posted on the website:

TERMS & CONDITIONS
ALTON TOWERS RESORT WHEEL OF WIN COMPETITION RULES

Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering the competition, you agree to the competition rules.

1. To enter the competition and win a prize you must be 18 years old or over at the time of entry.

2. The competition is not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of Alton Towers Resort or Merlin Entertainments Group.

3. Before playing the competition you are required to supply a name, valid email address and optional telephone number.

4. You may if you wish ‘opt in’ to receive further information and marketing materials from Alton Towers.

5. Your entry data will be saved locally on your device and also sent to and stored within a secure, external Alton Towers Resort competition database.

6. You are allocated one ‘free’ spin a day. Unused spins are carried over to the next day.

7. You may if you wish choose to redeem points accrued during game play for additional spins of the wheel.

8. You are limited to a maximum of 10 spins a day.

9. Competition entry requires that your device has data connectivity to the internet.

10. In the case of data connectivity loss by your device you will be informed that you are unable to connect with the competition. Loss of connectivity does not count as a deducted spin.

11. Should you win a prize you will be informed of this on screen and a confirmation email despatched to your provided email address.

12. To claim your prize you will be asked to follow a link within the confirmation email and supply further winner details to Alton Towers.

13. All claims are saved within a secure competition database to be processed by Alton Towers Resort Competition Administrators upon completion of a prize claim.

14. You may check the status of your claim by accessing the ‘Winnings’ option from within the Spin to Win section of the Smiler App.

15. No responsibility can be accepted for entries that are lost or delayed, or which are not received for any reason.

16. Alton Towers Resort reserves the right to change or substitute prizes on the prize list.

17. Prizes are not exchangeable for cash or any other alternative.

18. Prizes will be despatched to the winners addresses within 28 days of prize claim, subject to winner eligibility and compliance with all terms and conditions.

19. Wheel of Win Competition closes on 30 September 2013.

Disclaimer

Apple Inc is not a sponsor, nor is it involved in any way with The Wheel of Win competition run by Alton Towers. Alton Towers does not offer Apple products as competition prizes.

Source: http://www.altontowers.com/competition-terms/

Ollie

CF Legend

I also somewhere that with the app you can scan QR codes in the park to unlock more stuff including new elements/track updates.
This may mean that even the track on the app may still not be the full ride and the QR codes will add the secret elements which means that it won't spoil the ride until people visit the park and will have likely ridden it before getting the bonus elements.
Only a theory though but would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.