What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

The marketing on this just keeps getting better. Maybe they've finally learned a lesson about too much hype?

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

Personally, I could see this being how the supports and track are built - in the following order:

SupportampTrackPhases_zps65dac399.jpg

Phase 1: As we know, phase 1 was the building of the Batwing/Cobra Roll Element & the inversion under the station as well as the station track.

Phase 2: As we also know, phase 2 was the track above the toilets which included the pre drops from both lifts and half of both inversions which make up the inverted drops.

Phase 3: I would of thought they would want to get the track in underneath the maintenance shed before long as they have to have the maintenance building up a ready alongside the station (of which is having continuous work carried out on it). This could include some sort of secret element/track. This could also be completed before the main season starts (if X-Sector is to be open with the start of the main season) so that if there is a secret element it won't be revealed to the public as the park isn't open.

Phase 4: Could be done at the same time as Phase 3 - This phase is getting most of the middle section of the coaster done. This includes multiple inversions and elements; the first drop, both Dive Loops, both bunny hills, the Corkscrew after the Batwing, the mid-course break run, the sea serpent roll, both corkscrews (could be classed as a barrel roll of sorts) after the Cobra Roll & the final break run and track leading into the station.

Phase 5: Final construction phase which would see the vertical lift & first lift hill being put up into place along with the remaining track for the second inverted drop.

The reason it could be done like this is IF X-Sector is open at the start of the season there is enough room for the crane to put up track in the centre section and then final phase can be done with the crane coming from the access road to the left of the construction site. Another reason why the lift hills may be last is that we haven't seen any lift hill track on park as of yet whereas there is a lot of other track for the inversions and whatnot.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

I would guess the biggest hurdle for X-Sector opening with the rest of the park at the start of the season is the fact they've taken up all the pavement and will have to resurface - yet that would normally be the last thing to do on a construction site, wouldn't it?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

It's alright, they'll just chuck down some tarmac as a temporary fix and never replace it like they have the rest of the park [/OCD over the piss poor floors at Alton]

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

Robbie said:
I would guess the biggest hurdle for X-Sector opening with the rest of the park at the start of the season is the fact they've taken up all the pavement and will have to resurface - yet that would normally be the last thing to do on a construction site, wouldn't it?

I'll point you to my previous image that may be of some help:

Pathways-XSector_zpsd3a387b1.jpg

This would negate the main X-Sector entrance but use the path to the left of it. Those path as far as I know, and can tell from TT aerial shot are pretty clean - although they could just give them paths above a quick jet wash. The only problem with my theory above would be creating a bottleneck situation on such as small path. Although, this allows them to open The Fried Chicken Co. (door to the side) and also operate Oblivon, Enterprise & Submission.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

That's the way I always head into X-Sector anyway. The paths are okay, but they are quite narrow. I can imagine now a thousand people all trying to get through the "tunnel of wee" though :lol:

And OUTRAGE!!! Other people may discover the not very secret short cut between X-Sector and the Towers. I love seeing people going the long way around :lol:

marc

CF Legend

I think just having that path would be no good for health and safety. Could they really get a medical car down it if needed?

elephant58

Hyper Poster

They could lay down that surface they do at music concerts to make a makeshift path.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I'm trying to remember the path in detail, but it doesn't leave me with much I'm afraid. I just don't think it's suitable for those makeshift paths.

Marc is right, there's no emergency access from that direction. The gap between the fried chicken place and the Oblivion arcade is pretty narrow and the hill down from there isn't really suitable. I dunno, we'll find out when it opens :lol:

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

furie said:
I'm trying to remember the path in detail, but it doesn't leave me with much I'm afraid. I just don't think it's suitable for those makeshift paths.

Marc is right, there's no emergency access from that direction. The gap between the fried chicken place and the Oblivion arcade is pretty narrow and the hill down from there isn't really suitable. I dunno, we'll find out when it opens :lol:

Here is said path:
http://goo.gl/maps/VxbEA

I think at a push you can just about fit a small response unit down there.

If not, then they could just use this route into X-Sector, behind Submission:
http://goo.gl/maps/gSbuk

Also...

Someone on ThemeParkReview posted this:

n8aPpY2.png

'A jab of happiness as you pass by Stage 1 of the marmalisation process'

But then seconds later he got rid of it, then replaced it with a quote of my post off there about the construction phases.

Strange? Fan made image? Any meaning to it?

EDIT: Several people from other forums are saying this is real, but they are not allowed to say anything about it - yet.

scw55

Hyper Poster

Do any of you think something special will happen just before lift-hill #2?
In all the NoLimits imaginings, there is a 'ditch' in that section of straight track. And it kind of looks, very unappealing. Not unpleasant, but boring. Makes me think some effects or strategic scenery will be placed there to make it not look dull.

marc

CF Legend

Yep was saying that. I think it will be covered and have some sound or project or something

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Oh god, it sounds like they may use the backpokers that are used in subterra, I really hope not as they are so uncomfortable, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Ethan

Strata Poster

I very much doubt they will have back pokers for two reasons...

One, they are disgusting pieces of equipment. Two, each car would need it's own compressors which would be expensive!

marc

CF Legend

Oh well about android lol.

Hope the trains that are in the game are wrong!

The station reminds me of the Brawn F1 car lol. I like the colours.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I don't see why back pokers wouldn't make sense...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Because you don't need them after the pain the ride will give you anyway :p

Status
Not open for further replies.