Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I love making deep, contemplative and highly observational posts that are ignored.

So yeah, the double helix definitely means that the ride will be themed to alien/human DNA splicing, with a cinema and half mutated, bloodied rejects will crawl the park. On top of that, Wolverine and Ice-Man will come in to save the day.

Hurrah for the good sense approach :roll:

marc

CF Legend
Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Reasons why I don't think it will be marvel can be summed up in one word "Disney".

I can never see Disney letting Merlin use Marvel.

Maybe I am totally wrong and they will for a price. But for a one off attraction I just cannot see it.

Intricks

Strata Poster

2012Jarrett said:
Originally, that project I mentioned earlier was themed to a government project where they were trying to turn people into half-living creatures, with computer brains and certain body parts being robotic that had gone horribly wrong. I had imagined actors soaked in blood with robotic-looking limbs crawling around the park and stuff, for instance, and the ride was called Project Fusion.

Clap-Traps Robo-Revolution?

borderlands-claptraps-new-robot-revolution-logo.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Robbie

Hyper Poster

marc said:
Reasons why I don't think it will be marvel can be summed up in one word "Disney".

I can never see Disney letting Merlin use Marvel.

Maybe I am totally wrong and they will for a price. But for a one off attraction I just cannot see it.
I would agree... but Merlin do have the Marvel 4D film at Madame Tussauds, and the X-Men film rights and licensing are actually owned by 20th Century Fox who already have a film tie-in at Alton.

marc

CF Legend

Good point totally forgot about that.

If it was a whole area I think then maybe they would, but just one ride I just don't think so. And I really hope they don't change the whole area as oblivion would need a new name and theme.

Maybe they can use the film but not the characters, I don't know how it works but I don't think they could use a name like that. I know there was a thing about film rights as the deals were already in place.

I will probably be proved wrong but I just cannot see it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Maybe it's all to do with hype, could somebody put forward a large post about it? :p

STC

Mega Poster

rollermonkey said:
I can't believe they left it up so long after Black Hole closed.

They kept it up as it was being used all that time, either for storage or 2011's Scarefest mazes. Also, it's much easier for them to get planning permission for a new installation if there's something standing on the site (so it'd be a replacement rather than a new installation). :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Furie's post was amazing. It's worthy of going on my blog. <3

But, yeah, unfortunately... I somehow only wish it was that complex. I doubt it. And if it is that complex, it seems subconsciously so, it's not intentionally being pursued that way. Which is perhaps why they are running into so many problems... A la Thirteen and Sub Terra. And to a degree, even Swarm. In fact, I need to write a new blog post on Swarm, the public reaction and why B&Ms are "crap".

Gazza

Giga Poster

Joey said:
furie said:
Or, it could just be that metallic, shiny double helices look very cool ;)
Depressingly the most likely.
Casting our minds back to LC12, you could say the image of a nuclear explosion looks cool.

lc12.jpg

And thats more or less what we got right, something post apocalyptic (Though not necesarily a nuclear apocalypse)

I think there is more to it than just doing DNA strands as a visual device that looks cool and is a bit like coaster track/corkscrews...some sort of relation is gonna be there.

Thinking out loud and yes the track is in all the wrong spots (lifts too far apart), but it would have been cool if say the 2nd lift entry lined up with the first one, and there was an effect a bit like the alien scanner in MIB at USF...You'd approach the 2nd lift, look across to the side at a long full height screen with an x ray image of a train and passengers being 'cloned' (Perhaps the ride vehicle is a cloning device) with the other track of course behind the screen. The screen ends and you look across, and there is the other ride vehicle. The whole section would be indoors and themed extensively, as if you were inside a giant cloning machine.
But this is just pure fantasy :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Joey said:
Furie's post was amazing. It's worthy of going on my blog. <3

As long as you use the word miasma, it's fine :)

Joey said:
But, yeah, unfortunately... I somehow only wish it was that complex. I doubt it. And if it is that complex, it seems subconsciously so, it's not intentionally being pursued that way.

It's just the way I see it, being very familiar with the same genre and films that Candy Holland is clearly into (and has been quoted as being "influenced" by). You can just see the very pointed influence. It may be that it's not as direct as I put it, that in fact the art/production/design teams are falling into that same comfort zone too? So they've been given a design remit of "futuristic alien genetic mutation" and as fans of the design concepts of X-Men (the X-Men films are a gorgeous example of intricate and holistic design) they've just slipped it in subconsciously. Likewise, the design remit for 13 was probably "something scray a bit like The Ring, but in a forest" and Evil Dead comes to mind immediately to anyone who has seen it. Crashed plane? Lost. Alien insect invasion? GoW.

Everyone, always, creates using what they know, what they're currently aware of, in awe of, or has had a major impact on them in their lives.

So yeah, maybe it isn't a direct push, but I'll give the design teams the benefit of the doubt and say that it is a deliberate and clever piece of work ;)

Coasterlover

Roller Poster

I don't know whether this has already been discussed but I don't see how this can be a Gerstlauer from looking at the plans close up:

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... &module=P3

If you look at the second PDf file in the Associated Documents: "AA BB proposed elevations" you can clearly see that this looks more like a Maueher Sohne coaster than a Gerstlauer.

(sorry if I spelt anything wrong).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^This has already been covered many many pages ago (I'm not trawling back through the topic to find it ;) ), but basically the track on the plans is just the default track export from something like No Limits. They've used No Limits to quickly knock together this layout, then simply exported it as a 3D model to be used in the plans.

Someone (Gazza I think) went into a lot of detail showing how this was the case.

NickkyG

Mega Poster

I know this has been covered quite a lot, but why did they not simply set the track type to Eurofighter (if that's the style this is) before exporting it?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Effort? I don't think anyone really knows, but the track design is close enough for the views (which remember, Alton didn't need to include) on the documents. It's just not really important.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

NickkyG said:
I know this has been covered quite a lot, but why did they not simply set the track type to Eurofighter (if that's the style this is) before exporting it?

Because the folks at Merlin are in need of a good laugh, and watching coastertools have conniptions about the idiosyncrasies in the plans has them in tears and rolling on the floor.

marc

CF Legend

It's Alton so they just try and get away with doing as little work as possible.

Had this chat with Furie when we were there the other week. There really is not that much at the park.

Alton needs this coaster to work and make it a full day park again. It got to the point that we had done what we wanted and it was a case of what now. Had a great day but there is just not enough to do anymore.

Rita had the biggest queue in the whole park, just goes to show they don't need a worlds 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.