What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Lol, it looks so ridiculous, it's amazing.

Has to be one of the strangest pieces of theming ever created. I love it though.

AT should change the name to "The Hurler" since some of the riders will be doing this if they have just eaten cos of the inversions..

What like "..." because they wouldn't care? :p (Or, because they're American, the could care, or something (the whole could care less thing is confusing ;) ))

I never understand that. I was at a gig with Will and Fraser the other day (yes, that actually happened) and I was standing behind a guy with 'I could care less' across his back. I just didn't get it!
If you could 'care less' then you aren't in the most careless state you could be in. He should change his T-shirt to 'I don't care much, but I'm not totally carefree as there are still a few things I do care about'.

Less catchy I spose...

It depends on how sarcastic he was being. See, if it was me saying it - you'd KNOW it was sarcasm. However, I don't think generally Americans exude quite as much sarcasm as we tend to so it fails. No offence Merica!

A quick heads up, the second video is now up on the Towers facebook page! Got to love the return of Dr Kellman and the references to xsector rides!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6hs8uPx3Wk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Here it is. Yeah. Great references to Oblivion and Submission. I assume the walking around the spiral was for Enterprise.

I'm assuming that they're trying to retcon the whole of the previous X-Sector into 'early trials' for the Ministry.

furie said:
What like "..." because they wouldn't care? :p (Or, because they're American, the could care, or something (the whole could care less thing is confusing ;) ))

The only confusing thing about it is that it's still so prevalent and you'd think they'd realise what it actually means.

Lul those videos are ridiculous, this ride is just such a ****. Definitely worthy of the SW title.

Uncle Arly said:
Here it is. Yeah. Great references to Oblivion and Submission. I assume the walking around the spiral was for Enterprise.

I'm assuming that they're trying to retcon the whole of the previous X-Sector into 'early trials' for the Ministry.

Yeah I assumed the spiral was enterprise, it would have been rather impossible for them to fit enterprise into a phrase I guess. But yeah, I think it's nice they are involving the other rides in the smiler. I wonder if the dark forest rita backlash had anything to do with this.

Oh and something some people may find interesting, there is actually a form for clues on the smiler website, it appears if you enter the correct info, something happens. So far Smile Scared and Dr Kellman have come up with crosses.

A few pictures from earlier today:

943463_521706634560151_407835014_n_zps9238711b.jpg

262563_521706291226852_1214180194_n_zpsa39481f8.jpg

603761_521700561227425_1154305603_n_zps7b91839f.jpg

The whole project looks incredible when you see it in person. Hopefully we'll see a test run within the next few days :)

I'm going to be awkward and admit that I like the videos <3 If the acting wasn't terrible and hammy then it wouldn't be Merlin ;]

You're not alone Jordan, I really like the dodgy acting too, it sort of works with whole story somehow.
The marketing for this has really been great overall in my opinion. The damn sheep still make me laugh

gavin said:
the king said:
One thing I worry about is that the adverts for The Smiler will all be shown after 9pm

Same here. I was just about to go to bed, but there's really no point now.

That video is dreadful. I get that it's supposed to be a bit "Blair Witch", but something filmed these days, on modern digital camera just wouldn't look like that. Yeah, I'm being pedantic and it really shouldn't matter.

The abysmal acting, however, should. The supposedly creepy bloke is horribly miscast for starters. Not only can he not act for ****, he's also way too young to be convincing as the character they're going for.

Cue the "lighten up; it's a bit of fun" posts...

No. It's f**king s**t.

I don't really care about the amateur acting and production, just adds to the atmosphere - I think the campaign for smiler has been an act of genius!

Those who think the terrible acting somehow fits with the story and atmosphere The Smiler has been building are clearly the same sort of people who would have found the awkward and terrible acting in the BBC's recent raping of Sherlock Holmes fitting to the ethos set up by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'd say that the reference to Enterprise is the spinning backdrop behind Miles (At about 1:38 in the video).

nealbie said:
Those who think the terrible acting somehow fits with the story and atmosphere The Smiler has been building are clearly the same sort of people who would have found the awkward and terrible acting in the BBC's recent raping of Sherlock Holmes fitting to the ethos set up by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Martin Freeman - 'nuff said.

No news today on if there are any trains going round the track? Two weeks today until unofficial - but sensible - opening day...

Status
Not open for further replies.