What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Erol, the money to help with the roads is to just do repairs, put up signs, that kind of gubbins to try and help. It's just a sum to, erm, grease the wheels in the council...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
CJH said:
I have heard that Alton will fund £50,000 to help traffic flow, this doesn't automatically mean the relief road. Maybe the council will put the rest of the money in for the relief road. But it could just mean traffic signals to help the flow through the village etc who knows.

Working in the transport industry, I can tell you £50k will not go far at all. With that amount of money you could buy about 10 signs and fill two pot holes.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ian said:
CJH said:
I have heard that Alton will fund £50,000 to help traffic flow, this doesn't automatically mean the relief road. Maybe the council will put the rest of the money in for the relief road. But it could just mean traffic signals to help the flow through the village etc who knows.

Working in the transport industry, I can tell you £50k will not go far at all. With that amount of money you could buy about 10 signs and fill two pot holes.
Is that not mostly a case of bad management of money/time/employees?
As in, money being wasted faffing about instead of just getting ten signs put up an filling two pot holes?

Last night a water pipe burst on my road. The same guys were there from around 4 yesterday afternoon till about 5 this morning working on it. They had to dig out a 6ft deep hole by about 4-5 ft wide, fix the pipe and then fill it back in. TWO GUYS. Yet, further down the road there are road works which have been going on for... months now, and I can't say I've ever seen anyone doing any work on them.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Sorry if this has already been said, but Alton Towers are now offering "Heritage Tours" around the Towers and Gardens.

There is a link HERE!

However, no dates are posted. Which is very unusual. I'd like to e mail Toni Evans but my bloody e mail isn't working right now! But oh well, I will do once it's fine.

I went on a tour like this when I stayed over at the Alton Towers Hotel once (in the off-season, a couple of years back) and it was cool, in a historical sense. If it was any other place it wouln't have been as interesting, but just because it's Alton...it was!

Obviously nothing about rides or anything (much more about the heritage, pre-theme park side), but still cool for £3.50!

Mind you, the time it takes is probably more costly to 'day-visitors'.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
That is indeed very neat. Not the sort of thing I'd do, but I'm glad to see it done regardless.

Now maybe they will do up the glass house and USE IT for this sort of thing?

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Oblivion now has cameras on the front cars only. They just film you when going around the ride, a bit like kumali & Wild Mouse's system at Flamingo. Cost is £12! and it looks like very good uality. Unfortunately, no AP discount

A

Anonymous

It was heavily rumored that YourDay has gone under, seems to be confirmed now!

Hopefully them god awful sensors will be taken down!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Dave said:
By the way guys, Your Day has gone into liquidation...so not sure what this means...

http://www.yourday.biz/index.html

It means that they don't have enough cash flow to carry on as a business anymore. They can't pay people they owe money to, so cannot carry on.

The liquidators come in to work out a way of having the company pay off their debts. The WILL try to keep the company afloat if possible, but sometimes it just means basically lay everyone off and sell all assets.

I could see last year talking to them they were spreading themselves thin. Massive investment costs really. It was a great technology, really was. However, if they couldn't get a guaranteed contract in another park (Alton was their proof of concept), there's no way they could have kept going.

Very sad really.

Jools

Giga Poster
Yes it is a shame, for every purchase did YourDay get anything, or do they just get money from installation?

spicy

Giga Poster
Damn thats a shame! I actually really liked using the YourDay although I know many people weren't a fan of it.

Maybe Alton will just continue with it and buy the assets off of YourDay? Seems a shame to waste it as its all set up and ready to use now.

That is if it was making money of course, other wise AT won't bother.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
YourDay was a nice concept, but it was implemented poorly. Between the excessive use of stock footage, potentially poor shots of subjects on rides and a lack of control over which recordings were used (only your last ride on a given coaster was retained), I feel the whole system was flawed from day one.

If I was on park with a bunch of friends, I'd quite happily spend the money for a DVD from YourDay, but only if they fixed some of the fundamental problems:
  • The footage of people on the ride needs to be good quality each and every time. That means giving very careful thought to camera placement.
  • The cameras really need to capture the train mid-ride, not just entering and leaving the station.
  • They really need on-ride cameras to capture people's reactions.
  • They need to retain footage from EVERY ride on a given day, not just the last one. At the end of the day, provide a means of viewing all the footage captured, and allow people to pick the best one.

marc

CF Legend
The only reason we did not buy our one was simple really, you did not get a good preview. We got a 2 min clip and had to make our minds up from that, and the clip from Nemesis we could not even see us as we were on the wrong side of the train.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
southend_marc said:
The only reason we did not buy our one was simple really, you did not get a good preview. We got a 2 min clip and had to make our minds up from that.
The irony is, with the insane amounts of stock footage they use they could easily show all of the footage of you in the space of two minutes even if you'd ridden every single on of the YourDay enabled rides.

There is no excuse for not giving you a decent preview unless they are are deliberately trying to conceal the poor quality footage in an attempt to sell more copies.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
MouseAT said:
southend_marc said:
The only reason we did not buy our one was simple really, you did not get a good preview. We got a 2 min clip and had to make our minds up from that.
The irony is, with the insane amounts of stock footage they use they could easily show all of the footage of you in the space of two minutes even if you'd ridden every single on of the YourDay enabled rides.

There is no excuse for not giving you a decent preview unless they are are deliberately trying to conceal the poor quality footage in an attempt to sell more copies.

Thats exactly what they did, but what kind of buisnes advertises its flaws?
It's a shame really, it was a good idea, executed badly.

Now I think Picsolves version will be expanded onto the rear of Oblivion and onto the other rides eventually.

marc

CF Legend
When we saw our Sheikra one we got to see the whole thing so we bought that, and it was not even a minute long lol.

But at Alton as I said one of the clips they showed us you could hardly see us, so we are going to buy that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.